Bike from the Dead's Freshly-Exhumed Finds (Everything I've dug up since 6/15/21)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I prefer the straight line all the way to the racks
Not only that, but notice how the straight line bars intersect where the top bar and the seat tube meet.
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_52.jpg

But on the Fire Arrow, the top bars and middle bars join past the seat tube, leaving this small, weird negative space. In fact, the main reason why I don't care so much for this bike is because there are a lot of lines and shapes that don't really flow together. It's a still a neat and unusual bike, and anyone who has one should be proud to own one, but from a design standpoint, it looks cluttered and messy to my eyes.
1632409839520.png

If that were my bike, I'd fit it out as a paper boy's bike. Bag hooks on the handle bars.
1632414463057.png

And some bags of papers, one hanging from the handlebars and one on each side of the rear tire hanging from that unique rear rack (what it was designed for.)

1632414597207.png

1632414659311.png

Then one for yourself.

1632414693100.png

Ed AKA Rivnut

If that were my bike, I'd fit it out as a paper boy's bike. Bag hooks on the handle bars.
View attachment 173864
And some bags of papers, one hanging from the handlebars and one on each side of the rear tire hanging from that unique rear rack (what it was designed for.)

View attachment 173865

View attachment 173866

Then one for yourself.

View attachment 173867

Ed AKA Rivnut
I definitely like the idea of keeping the newspaper delivery theme, but I really want this bike to have a more aggressive attitude, like the Newspaper Ninjas from Dexter's Laboratory.

Story time! Earlier this Sunday, I saw an ad on Marketplace for some garage sale leftovers close to home. Among the leftovers was a 20 inch girl's Huffy bike, which had wheels I could use for my Murray Eliminator. I went and picked up the bike, chatted with the guy who posted the ad for a bit, then got back in my car, ready to head home. As I was making my way out of the neighborhood, I saw a couple kids riding a pair of vintage Schwinns, a 26" Skipper and a 26" Hollywood. I pulled up beside them, and asked about their bikes. Not long into the conversation, one of the kids (who I guess owned both bikes) told me he's looking to trade them, and asked if I had any bikes I'd be willing to trade. I had decided to hold onto the Schwinn Hollywood I got from my grandparents, as well as the teal blue Murray girls bike I had originally got for parts, but I wasn't as interested in keeping the Schwinn Deluxe Racer I had.
DSC_5966.jpg

I showed the kid some pictures of the bike, thinking he wouldn't be that interested in it, but he was totally on board for trading, even though I didn't find my bike as valuable as the Skipper he had that I was interested in. I asked if he was sure, being upfront about what I had vs. what he had, but he wanted to trade for the Racer. I went and got the Racer out of storage, and brought it back to trade with the kid. I asked him again if he still wanted to trade, now that he could see my bike in person, even asked if his parents would be okay with the trade, but he was still eager to part with his Skipper (Also his mom seemed more concerned about her kid coming inside for dinner on time than what he did with his bikes.) So, we traded Schwinns. He got my 1967 Deluxe Racer, and I got his 1961 Skipper. On my way home, I stopped by one of my old college campuses, and took it out for a test ride. It's a bit squeaky, it probably needs new grease in the bearings, but it's an otherwise solid rider.
20211024_182025.jpg
20211024_182110.jpg
20211024_182132.jpg
20211024_182204.jpg
20211024_182225.jpg
DSC_8088.jpg
DSC_8101.jpg
DSC_8107.jpg
DSC_8113.jpg
DSC_8118.jpg
DSC_8124.jpg
DSC_8128.jpg
DSC_8139.jpg
DSC_8146.jpg
DSC_8152.jpg
DSC_8160.jpg
DSC_8165.jpg
DSC_8171.jpg
DSC_8184.jpg
DSC_8190.jpg
DSC_8195.jpg
DSC_8202.jpg
DSC_8209.jpg

I still find it funny how I got this bike. I was picking up one free bike from an ad, and as I was leaving for home, I stopped and asked a couple kids about the bikes they were riding around their neighborhood. And because I stopped to talk with them, I traded one bike (which I got for free) for another bike! I wasn't even planning on trading that bike, yet I just happened to be in the right place at the right time, and now I have a double straight bar Schwinn!

As cool as this bike is though, I can't say I'm attached to this bike. It's nice, but it's not a frame style I've been actively hunting for. It's also too nice for me to want to modify, as it's still got the original paint, and most of the original parts from what I can tell. Part of me kind of wants to hold onto it, but I'd much rather sell or trade it for something I'd want more. I don't know how much this bike is really worth, but I want to find out so I can sell it at a fair price or trade it for something of equal or slightly greater value.

I'll be honest, I have a problem: I have over 15 different bike projects in various stages of completion, yet only a couple are even rideable. I do not need to bring home anymore bikes to work on right now, when not a single bike I own is "done." I only have so many expendable funds to fool around with, and I need to use those funds to get the bikes I already have done before I even think of taking on another project. Yet, despite knowing this, I continue to check Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and even OfferUp on a daily basis, hoping to find some sweet deals on bikes new and especially old.

On October 30th, I saw an ad for a bike frame I've been dying to build, at a tough-to-beat price. Someone had a near-complete barn find Schwinn Hornet straight bar for sale on Marketplace, for $40! Granted, it was an hour's drive away from home, but I snatched that bike up before someone else could beat me to it! It was missing the original front wheel (the front wheel that's currently on it is one I just had laying around,) and the rear third of the rack (that's the 2nd Schwinn straight bar I've had with this problem,) but the rest of the bike looked to be in decent shape. Except the front fender, that thing is sadly mangled.

I wasn't sure what to do with this bike at first, and to be honest, I'm still not sure now. On one hand, it's cool that this bike still has the original paint. I hate the fact that it's got reflective tape on the forks and rear fender, but at least the bike wasn't spray-painted at any point in its life. On the other hand, since the original paint is still relatively intact, it makes it difficult for me to want to strip it down and paint or powder coat it my way. Bikes like this with untouched OG paint aren't easy to come by these days, especially at such a low price, and I hate to modify something when it's survived this way for so long. It also doesn't help that red is one of my least-favorite colors, and given that is is a (rusty) red bike, and I've already got 2 red original bikes as it is.

I've thought about either flipping this bike and putting the money towards my current projects, or even trading it for another Schwinn straight bar that I would feel less guilty about modifying. On the other hand, I'd really like to keep this bike and do something with it. Aside from the few things I mentioned before, this bike is in pretty good shape, and could easily be brought back to life. I've been itching to build what I believe is called a "bomber bike," and this bike would be perfect for that, patina and all. I could even see myself bobbing the rear fender ahead of the dents and turning this bike into another board track bike. This bike's got a ton of potential, even if it morally limits my choices in paint and finish. So, with that being said, I think I'll hold onto this Hornet for now. It's going to be on the back burner for now, but there's a good chance I'll come back to this bike soon.

DSC_8237.jpg
DSC_8244.jpg
DSC_8249.jpg
DSC_8256.jpg
DSC_8262.jpg
DSC_8269.jpg
DSC_8277.jpg
DSC_8282.jpg
DSC_8288.jpg
DSC_8296.jpg
DSC_8302.jpg
DSC_8306.jpg
DSC_8311.jpg
DSC_8319.jpg
DSC_8323.jpg
DSC_8329.jpg
DSC_8334.jpg
DSC_8340.jpg
DSC_8345.jpg
DSC_8354.jpg
DSC_8361.jpg
DSC_8366.jpg
DSC_8376.jpg
DSC_8379.jpg

Two days after picking up that Schwinn, I hitched a ride with my fabricator friend, Allan, up to Skiatook to check out some bike parts and tools. We both found a few odds and ends we could use for our personal projects. This is what I brought home for $30, minus like 7 or so wheels I got for free. I might be using the rectangular headlight/horn combo on my MBBO entry, as well as the 2 sissy bar reflectors, but I'm not sure yet. I don't know what I'd use either seat on yet, but I thought both looked too cool to pass up. I especially love the funky banana seat I got. I also got a tire I thought about using on my Newsboy Special I got back in September, and these cool Delta lights that looked like they were used on a boat at some point. I don't know what I'll use some of these parts for, but they were too cool to pass up for the price!
BftD_fresh_finds_11121_1.jpg
BftD_fresh_finds_11121_2.jpg
BftD_fresh_finds_11121_3.jpg
BftD_fresh_finds_11121_4.jpg
BftD_fresh_finds_11121_5.jpg

I'll admit, I tend not to post pics of the newer bikes I pick up for free on Craigslist/Marketplace, but I figured I'd reveal how I get most of my wheels, tubes, tires, and other parts for my bike projects on the cheap. I picked up the blue Ridgeland, the grey Huffy, and 3 of the little girls' bikes all for free yesterday, not all from the same person. The Ridgeland is in decent shape, except the front wheel is bent out of shape due to an emergency stop the owner had to pull. It's not my usual style, but every time I saw these bikes at Walmart, I couldn't help but think about playing around with one of these. Must be the colors. I'm drawn to blues and greens. I might try to get the front wheel trued or replaced, and even see about reselling the bike to get some more much-needed funds, or I may just hold onto it for a custom build someday.
20211107_154154.jpg

I got this worn out Huffy mountain bike for the little shock absorber in the rear, as well as all the wheels, forks, pretty much everything except maybe the frame. I'm not planning on building a klunker (I'm not really the off-road type,) but suspension components and extra gears could come in handy on some future builds...
20211107_154211.jpg

As you might have already guessed from the photo below, I grabbed all these little 20 inch girls' bikes for the wheels, tubes and tires, along with a few other parts. a couple of them even have "landing gear" forks that are the same diameter as the forks on the older bikes I prefer to work on. I'm already thinking of taking some of these girls' bikes and making a custom swing bike out of them. It probably won't be anything pretty, but as long as it's functional, that's all I need. But that's an idea for later.
20211107_154636.jpg

be honest, I have a problem: I have over 15 different bike projects in various stages of completion, yet only a couple are even rideable. I do not need to bring home anymore bikes to work on right now, when not a single bike I own is "done." I only have so many expendable funds to fool around with, and I need to use those funds to get the bikes I already have done before I even think of taking on another project. Yet, despite knowing this, I continue to check Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and even OfferUp on a daily basis, hoping to find some sweet deals on bikes new and especially old.
I know exactly what you mean. I have no funds, the garage is full, a pile of projects lined up, and yet I torture myself by browsing daily. I think it is the fear of missing out; I don't want the day I don't search to be the day some angry lady decides that selling her boyfriend's titanium Humu would be a great way to get revenge

Last edited:
. I think it is the fear of missing out; I don't want the day I don't search to be the day some angry lady decides that her boyfriend's titanium Humu would be a great way to get revenge
FOMO for sure, the thought of missing out on a awesome bike precedes the fact that I have no money or space.

I know exactly what you mean. I have no funds, the garage is full, a pile of projects lined up, and yet I torture myself by browsing daily. I think it is the fear of missing out; I don't want the day I don't search to be the day some angry lady decides that selling her boyfriend's titanium Humu would be a great way to get revenge
FOMO for sure, the thought of missing out on a awesome bike precedes the fact that I have no money or space.
I think you guys both hit the nail on the head. I definitely have a fear of missing out on some sweet bikes. Doesn't help that I have OCD on top of that, which no doubt fuels the fire.

I read the adverts I like out to wifie, tell her what I like about them, then tell her and myself that I am not a bike collector. I then look at my build book and get excited about sorting out which parts I already have can be reused on others, and then go do something on them. I make sure I have some builds both in my village workshop and my city garage. If all else fails, I do some work on improving either the workshop (a.k.a. the coalshed) or garage, which includes cycling around the local dumpsters for cabinets to convert into shelving.

I also keep a shortlist of what I would like:
- a first series Romet Turing, in any worn condition, for the front fork as the dynamo mount for those was on the rear frame instead.
- a cheap mountain bike to flip this winter.

But wait! There's more! Only a few days later, on Monday the 6th, I visited my buddy in OKC who posted a bike on Craigslist that I had been itching to get for over 2 years now: a Murray Eliminator/Buzz Bike! $10 and it was mine! Granted, it's rough, but all I cared about was the frame. It's a little bent at the dropouts, but I bet those can be bent back into shape just fine.

Got to say, it's kind of neat to see that this bike had already been customized at some point in its past. Someone extended the forks to give it more of a rake, which is pretty wild. I'm not keeping the fork on there, but I like the idea behind it. It looks like whoever owned it before also took off the original chain guard and took a... I don't know what it's called, but I think it's the disc that sits behind the cassette on a rear wheel, and bolted it to the chain ring! I'll admit, I wish it still had the original chain guard, but again, I like what the previous owner did. I think I'll just have to pay homage to the previous modifications with a few mods of my own... I've already got an idea of where I want to take this bike, but that's for down the road.
View attachment 172950View attachment 172951View attachment 172952View attachment 172953View attachment 172954View attachment 172955View attachment 172956View attachment 172957View attachment 172958View attachment 172959View attachment 172960
The front sprocket guard is stock, my AMF built Westpoint Flying Wedge uses a very similar sprocket and what I have of it is stock.
Was a five speed but missing some parts so the PO sold the wheel and shifter and made it single speed with a Shimano coaster wheel.
Spent 10+ years trying to find a reasonable shifter.
Screenshot_20211220-154527_Gallery.jpg

The front sprocket guard is stock, my AMF built Westpoint Flying Wedge uses a very similar sprocket and what I have of it is stock.
Was a five speed but missing some parts so the PO sold the wheel and shifter and made it single speed with a Shimano coaster wheel.
Spent 10+ years trying to find a reasonable shifter.View attachment 181326
I'm pretty sure the pie plate sprocket protector was a modification on my bike, done by the same person who stretched the forks. Just about every Murray muscle bike I've seen like mine came with this style of chain guard:
1640278630352.png

That said, I have seen some bikes with a disc-style chain guard. I thought about keeping that element on mine, but I'm going to do something different.

That Flying Wedge is cool! I love the circular cut-outs on the rear of the frame, coupled with those cool circle shapes on the seat tube. Hopefully you'll find that shifter and whatever parts you need to make it a 5-speed again.

Latest posts

Back