Bike from the Dead's Freshly-Exhumed Finds (Everything I've dug up since 6/15/21)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier this Sunday, I went to the Springfield, Missouri bicycle swap meet. I was hoping to find parts to fix up all my current project bikes. While I didn't find as much as I had hoped, I still found a decent amount of parts that I could use. Here's what I brought home from Springfield: 1 AMF wheel, 1 AMF thank headlight lens, 1 handlebar, 1 rectangular headlight, 1 rigid fork, 1 Schwinn springer fork, 1 Schwinn feather chain guard, 2 perfectly seasoned seats, and 1 Waverly girl's bike built by The Westfield Manufacturing Company. I spent more than I anticipated at $190 ($164 after factoring in what I sold,) plus a couple trades, but I'm pretty happy with what I got. All these parts are going to help get my project bikes back on the road!
BftD_fffs_2022_1.jpg

Up first is an AMF front wheel I bought for $3. I really needed a rear wheel, but as long as I have the hoop, I can lace it back up with a coaster brake hub.
BftD_fffs_2022_2.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_3.jpg

Next, I got an AMF headlight piece and lens that look to have come off a girl's bike. I don't really need the chrome pice, but that original plastic lens is just what I need for my 1962 AMF-built Western Flyer Sonic Flyer I'm rebuilding. I traded 2 Schwinn feather chain guards for this and a couple other parts.
BftD_fffs_2022_4.jpg

I actually got both the wheel and headlight piece for my Western Flyer I got from my grandpa. I didn't know which wheel was original to the bike at first, but I eventually figured it out. Only the front wheel was correct for the bike, so I'll need to redo this wheel hoop with a coaster brake hub. I might stick with the Komet Super hub that was originally on this bike when I got it, or I'll install a Bendix hub. I'll also want to use that headlight lens in place of the 3D-printed reproduction lens I got some time ago.
BFtD_The_Old_West_before_1.jpg

Next is this Schwinn chain guard that I paid $20 for. I plan to use it on my 1950 Schwinn DX bike, The Schwinn Dixie Dreamcycle, in place of the previous chain guard. That flat spot in the middle is the perfect place for a decal with the name of the bike.
BftD_fffs_2022_5.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_6.jpg

Next is a fork I traded for along with that AMF headlight lens. This will replace the fork that snapped on Schwinn Dixie last year. The steerer tube is about an inch too long, but it'll be easier (and safer) to thread and cut this fork, than to slice and splice a new steerer tube to a busted/shorter fork.
BftD_fffs_2022_11.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_12.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_13.jpg

BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_RRBBO_glory_and_defeat_2.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_RRBBO_glory_and_defeat_5.jpg

Next is a handlebar that I traded for along with those other 2 previously mentioned items. I have an idea which bike I'll use it on, but nothing's set in stone just yet.
BftD_fffs_2022_10.jpg

I also found this generator-powered headlight for $5 that I thought would be a nice alternative option for my 2021 MBBO project, The Prowler. Don't know if I'll use it or not, but it's got a good look.
BftD_fffs_2022_7.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_8.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_9.jpg

BftD_prowler_almost_finished_2.jpg

Up next is a part I'm really excited about: an early Schwinn springer fork! I don't know which bike I'll throw this on yet, but it turns out that it came off a bike I traded for at my first bicycle swap meet in Springfield back in 2019! I've long since parted with (and parted out) that bike, but it's funny how I got both the frame and fork on two separate occasions!
BftD_fffs_2022_14.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_15.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_16.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_17.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_18.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_19.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 9.15.51 PM.png

I'm not done yet though! There's still more to come.

More finds from Springfield!

I bought this cool seat for $35. I want to say it's a Troxel, but it's hard to made out the brand. It's a little rough, but it's still got padding, and I love the character. I'm thinking of installing this on my Black Phantom frame I found earlier this year. I think it'd be a perfect match for the way I want to build this bike.
BftD_fffs_2022_20.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_21.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_22.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_23.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_24.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_25.jpg

BftD_black_phantom_bearings_2.jpg

This seat was one of the last purchases I made before I left the swap meet. It's rough, but for $2, it was perfect! It's still got plenty of padding left in it, nothing's seized on it, and it's got the perfect ratty character! It makes me think of those canvas "desert water bags" I see on some classic cars. I want to say this is a Troxel too, but it's even harder to tell what brand used to be on that circle in the middle of the seat. What's really cool is that I knew just what bike I wanted to use this seat on the moment I saw it!
BftD_fffs_2022_26.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_27.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_28.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_29.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_30.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_31.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_32.jpg

As soon as I got the chance, I mocked it up on the rusty Murray Meteor Flite I bought a few weeks ago. I think it's perfect! I wasn't too sold on the rust at first, but it's amazing how one piece can make a bike! In fact, it got me so pumped that I'm thinking about throwing this bike into the Build Off this year! I just need to figure out what name to give this project...
BftD_fffs_2022_69.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_70.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_71.jpg

Don't go anywhere! There's still one last find to share from Springfield!

I didn't intend to bring another complete bike home with me from Springfield, but this bike was practically a rolling parts-pack! It's a Waverly bike build by the Westfield Manufacturing Company. I don't know what year it is, but it almost looks like an early postwar bike. The frame's different than other balloon tire Westfield step-thru bikes from the 1950s, but I don't know. I'm not real familiar with these Westfield/Columbia bikes. What I do know however is that I got a great deal on this bike for $50, and I didn't (okay, couldn't; I tried) haggle for it! I mostly got it for that wicked industrial-looking springer fork, but there's plenty of other good part on it beside that. The fenders aren't in too bad of shape, aside from some small dents here and there, the wheels are good, the chainring's cool, I could probably use the handlebars on another build, the seat post is good, one of the tubes still holds air, and even the frame's not too shabby. Heck, after throwing a different front wheel and tire on it, I found the bike even rolls and stops! It really needs a new chain, but it's a rider!
BftD_fffs_2022_33.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_34.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_35.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_36.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_37.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_38.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_39.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_40.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_41.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_42.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_43.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_44.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_45.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_46.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_47.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_48.jpg

While I'm fairly certain this bike will be parted out for my other rides, I still just had to fiddle around in Photoshop to see what this bike would look like if it was converted to a men's bike. Got to say, I like the possibilities.
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 10.19.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 10.19.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 10.20.09 PM.png

Here's the other bike I picked up from my grandparents last Wednesday: a 2-speed Schwinn Deluxe Racer, built in October 1967! I'm fully convinced this thing is 99% original, save for maybe the tires and tubes. Part of me wants to keep this bike, as it's still rideable, albeit in need of some maintenance, and it's something from family, not an ad off Craigslist or Marketplace. Truth be told though, as nice of a bike as this is, I can't see myself riding this bike much. I don't know why, but I just never got into these road/track bikes like I did cruisers and muscle bikes. So, as nice as this bike is, I'm thinking I'll be happier if I sell it or trade it for something I really want.
View attachment 173004View attachment 173005View attachment 173006View attachment 173007

The taillight still works, but the headlight doesn't light up now for some reason. My guess is the failing electrical tape on the wire leading to the headlight. I remember applying that a few years ago, as the wire frayed, but I guess it's no longer doing its job. I do remember that headlight still worked last time, though.
View attachment 173008View attachment 173009View attachment 173010View attachment 173011View attachment 173012View attachment 173013View attachment 173014View attachment 173015View attachment 173016View attachment 173017View attachment 173018View attachment 173019View attachment 173020

Small detail, but is that how the bolt holding the chain guard to the frame is supposed to go? I thought it was supposed to be the other way around...
View attachment 173021
What a great looking Schwinn Racer. Looks to be a 3 speed probably with a Sturmey Archer hub. The overall design of these skinny tired Schwinns coupled with the 1020 steel frames make for very smooth riding bicycles.

Okay, I wish I could've posted this a month ago, (like, to the day,) but here's my freshest find as of August 17th. Saw an ad on Marketplace for 5 free bikes and some other stuff close to home while I was still house-sitting in Sapulpa. Wasn't even sure everything would still even be there after the 3-4 hours since the ad was posted, but to my good fortune, everything was still there! Not only did I get all 5 bikes (which for the most part are just good for parts,) but I even got an old train set too!
BftD_ff_8-19-22_1.jpg

First, the bikes: I haven't taken the time to identify all of them yet, but I at least know what some of them are.

First, what I'm guessing is some 1960s-1970s Murray-built 10-speed bike. Nothing fancy, but it could be a good parts donor for the coolest bike out of the lot, or it could even be a nice bike on its own. Looks like it's got the most... innovative reflector too, made out of a chunk of a road sign!
BftD_ff_8-19-22_5.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_24.jpg

Next, another Murray-built road bike from the 1970s at the earliest. This once was sold through JC Penney apparently. Not sure what I want to do with it, but it's got some great parts. The chrome is pretty mint on this one!
BftD_ff_8-19-22_3.jpg

BftD_ff_8-19-22_23.jpg

Next is an AMF Starlight. This would make a great rider, if the frame and fork weren't bent. Shame too, I like the color. Still, there are plenty of parts on this bike that are worth saving.
BftD_ff_8-19-22_6.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_17.jpg

The fourth bike in this collection of freebies is this AMF Debutante. I really love the chain guard and handlebars on this one! Part of me wants to part this bike out, but another part of me wants to chop this one up and convert it to a stretched boy's bike! Either way, this one's got potential!
BftD_ff_8-19-22_4.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_15.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_16.jpg

Last but by no means the least, my favorite frame of the bunch: This mid-70s Sears Free Spirit 10-speed! I'm not 100% sure who built this one (I'm guessing Murray) and I can't tell what size wheels it had (my guess is 24", based on the size of the frame and what I've read on these.) What I do know is this bike was originally red, white and blue, and it's a twin tube frame. That automatically makes it one of my coolest freebie bike finds, at least in my opinion! It's definitely missing a few parts, but it's got potential. I haven't messed with 10-speed bikes before, but this would be a great candidate to start with!
BftD_ff_8-19-22_2.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_18.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_19.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_20.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_21.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_22.jpg

And now for something completely different: old model trains! I don't know much about the one I found for free next to the dumpster everything else was sitting against, but as a bit of a train nut, the moment I saw that box with old toy train stuff, I had to bring it back with me. I doubt any of the tracks or even the engine still work or could be salvaged, but at the very least it could make a great display piece after some dusting. I just didn't want to see it get thrown away!
BftD_ff_8-19-22_7.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_8.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_9.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_10.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_11.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_12.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_13.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_14.jpg

Brought home another freebie this Sunday! This time it's a vintage girl's Huffy bike that once served as wall decor in some guy's shop before I got it. I'm not too sure what this bike started life as though. On one hand, it looks like a muscle bike frame, and the banana seat and sissy bar seem to indicate that. On the other hand, it could've started out as a kid's cruiser, since it has a pair of full fenders, the handlebars are more cruiser than muscle, and the wheels have only 20 spokes each. I couldn't find any matches to the frame through Google, though I did see an original muscle bike version of this same frame the day just before I got this bike.

Admittedly, I don't need to be bringing home more bikes, especially when they don't have any parts that could be donated to my current projects. That said, I figured I could try something new with this bike. Normally, I build bikes for myself and no one else, as this is a hobby for me, but I'm strapped for cash right now. After the positive response I got from my last RRBBO entry, I figured I could try building a bike for the sole purpose of selling it and making some much-needed cash. Granted, I don't know what a bike like this could realistically fetch, especially given the condition and the fact that it's a girl's bike. Still, it didn't cost me anything more than maybe a gallon of gas or two to acquire this bike, and I should have enough parts to build this bike into something rideable. I think the real challenge will be not getting too attached to this bike, because I do actually like the frame style.
BftD_blue_huffy_2.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_1.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_3.jpg

After wiping the dust off:
BftD_blue_huffy_20.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_19.jpg

Also turns out the tubes hold air, at least long enough for taking a few pics.
BftD_blue_huffy_25.jpg

BftD_blue_huffy_14.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_15.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_5.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_6.jpg

And now for some detail shots:
BftD_blue_huffy_4.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_7.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_17.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_8.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_10.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_9.jpg

One issue I'm going to have to work around if I want to make this bike rideable again: someone decided a long time ago, for whatever reason, to cut into the steerer tube and pry it open! I don't know what they were thinking, but ultimately, I doubt I can use this fork again. I'm sure someone more skilled than me could weld a new steerer tube onto this fork, but I haven't had the best luck with that. I bet I could remove the fork using Dad's cut-off wheel though, and I have plenty of good forks I could use on this bike.
BftD_blue_huffy_11.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_12.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_13.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_16.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_26.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_18.jpg

Saw this hole under the top tube. I'm guessing it was for letting gases out while the frame was welded together.
BftD_blue_huffy_23.jpg
BftD_blue_huffy_24.jpg

Saw this stamped on the kickstand.
BftD_blue_huffy_22.jpg

I think this is the serial number for the bike. It was under the bottom bracket. Looks like "2047." Anyone know what that means?
BftD_blue_huffy_21.jpg

Okay, talk about a delayed post, but I finally found time to go through my backlog of bike pics and get everything ready for posting!

Last year when I went to the Springfield, Missouri bicycle swap meet, "belkerx3," one of the folks over at The C.A.B.E., noticed that I was close to where he lived, and invited me to come over at some point and talk bikes with him. Later on Christmas day last year, we finally got a chance to meet. He showed me his cool collection of vintage bikes, and I showed him pictures of the bikes in my collection. What surprised me about my visit with Mr. Belker though, was that he had some bike stuff he wanted to give me... for free! He had some books and parts he had no use for anymore, and he wanted to see them all go to someone who could use them. I was blown away! That was one of the coolest Christmas gifts I've ever received for sure! Hopefully I'll think of something good to gift Mr. Belker in return, especially after what he gave me later near my birthday...
BftD_christmas_haul_21.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_1.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_2.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_3.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_4.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_5.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_6.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_7.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_8.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_9.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_10.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_11.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_12.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_13.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_14.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_15.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_16.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_17.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_18.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_19.jpg
BftD_christmas_haul_20.jpg
BftD_xmas_schwinn_1.jpg

Admittedly, my plan for that Schwinn frame was to build it up as a mild custom using what parts I had that I wouldn't miss, but for the life of me, nothing I threw on this frame looked good to me. So it's sitting in storage for now while I figure out how to build it up. As for the rest of the parts, some I traded for other parts you'll see in a following post, the rest I'm keeping for my current projects. And as for the books, I've already read through 2 of them, and I'm working on the rest. Definitely fun reading material!

I'm not done yet though! There's still more backlogged posts I've been meaning to share on the way!

This next post is big enough that I need to split it in half just to fit all the photos.

Ok, so earlier this February, @billn invited me to tag along with him at the Darryl Starbird car show in Tulsa. We had a ton of fun checking out all the cars there (I especially liked Bill's 1950 Chevy truck he brought to the show,) but to our surprise, someone had entered some vintage bikes into the show under "Special Interest!" If either of us had known, we would have entered our bikes into the show! Well, after Bill went home, I hung around for the rest of the day and checked out the rest of the show. Eventually, I found the guy who entered his bikes into the show.
BftD_Rubies_1.jpg
BftD_Rubies_2.jpg
BftD_Rubies_3.jpg
BftD_Rubies_4.jpg
BftD_Rubies_5.jpg

Turns out this guy, Ruby, was still in high school, but he loved to build these wild lowrider bikes! Granted, lowrider bikes aren't really my jam, but I can respect the amount of work that clearly went into these rides. (I especially dig the blue 20 inch Schwinn he put together.) We got talking for a bit, and we learned by accident that we had met before last year at the VW show in Catoosa! He still had my contact info from last time, as he had some parts I was interested in for my projects! This time, we made sure our phone numbers worked, and we agreed to meet up again the following week to do some trading on bicycle parts.

The main part I wanted from him was this chain guard I needed for my 2021-2022 MBBO entry, The Prowler, which I hadn't done much with since the Muscle Bike Build Off I built it for ended. Thankfully, this was just what the bike needed to get the momentum going once again! It's not perfect, but like the rest of the bike, it's going to be tweaked and modified to work.
BftD_Rubies_6.jpg
BftD_Rubies_7.jpg
BftD_Rubies_8.jpg
BftD_Rubies_9.jpg
BftD_Rubies_10.jpg

That wasn't all I got from Ruby though. I got way more than I even expected to get! Granted, not everything I got is premium quality stuff, but I got a lot of pieces I feel are full of potential. I'm just happy that I was able to find a good home for the stuff I didn't need in exchange for the stuff I could potentially use!
BftD_Rubies_11.jpg
BftD_Rubies_12.jpg
BftD_Rubies_13.jpg
BftD_Rubies_14.jpg
BftD_Rubies_15.jpg
BftD_Rubies_16.jpg
BftD_Rubies_17.jpg
BftD_Rubies_18.jpg

Can't say I've seen these springer fork arms welded like this before, but I figured I might still have a use for them.
BftD_Rubies_19.jpg

Remember how earlier I said lowrider bikes aren't really my jam? Well, that didn't stop me from getting these lowrider forks to see whether or not that's actually the case! Like with my first Off Road Build Off entry last year, I can't just stick to one style of bicycle build. I love branching out and trying new things, and experimenting with different bicycle build styles is no exception! I don't know what bike I'd want to throw these on just yet, but I think these would be a good way for me to practice riding bikes with more rake and trail in their steering geometry.
BftD_Rubies_20.jpg
BftD_Rubies_21.jpg

These wheels came off that rusty AMF GTO "Warrior Princess" from the first picture. I dig the patina on these wheels, where they aren't rusty so much as the paint's just chipping off. I need to build me something around these wheels...
BftD_Rubies_22.jpg
BftD_Rubies_23.jpg
BftD_Rubies_24.jpg

Don't go anywhere! There's still more pics on the way right after this!

BftD_Rubies_25.jpg

BftD_Rubies_26.jpg

BftD_Rubies_27.jpg

BftD_Rubies_28.jpg

BftD_Rubies_29.jpg

BftD_Rubies_30.jpg

BftD_Rubies_31.jpg

BftD_Rubies_32.jpg

BftD_Rubies_33.jpg

BftD_Rubies_34.jpg

Admittedly, I got this 1973 Schwinn Lil' Chik and AMF-built Firestone GTO "Warrior Princess" mostly for the tube bends. I have plans for a few custom bikes I want to build out of all the frames I've acquired over the years that I don't care to build as they are, and from what I understand, unless you have a tubing bender, it's easier to work with preexisting tube bends than to make your own. That said, this old yeller Schwinn makes me want to build a yellow bike at some point! Maybe whatever I build out of this bike might just keep the yellow paint job...
BftD_Rubies_35.jpg

BftD_Rubies_36.jpg

BftD_Rubies_37.jpg

BftD_Rubies_38.jpg

BftD_Rubies_39.jpg

Not gonna lie, if I don't cut up this "Warrior Princess" to build something else, I'm going to build it up and call it "Xena." Never even watched the show, but it's the first thing that springs to mind when I think "Warrior Princess." It's got a pretty good patina as it sits, but it's not a frame style I'm really attached to... so we'll see what becomes of it.
BftD_Rubies_40.jpg

BftD_Rubies_41.jpg

BftD_Rubies_42.jpg

BftD_Rubies_43.jpg

BftD_Rubies_44.jpg

BftD_Rubies_45.jpg

BftD_Rubies_46.jpg

I also checked to see if that tank I got in the mix was for a Murray, and to my good fortune, it is! It's missing the guts, but that doesn't bother me. If I can revitalize this frame, that tank will most likely find its home on it!
BftD_Rubies_47.jpg

BftD_Rubies_48.jpg

BftD_Rubies_49.jpg

Not done getting everything up to date just yet though! There are still 2 more fresh finds left to share, and the next one's a doozy!

This one's going to be another 2-parter.

Ok, remember my good friend Mr. Belker who gave me all those books and parts on Christmas day last year? Well, when I was up there that day, he pointed out a bike he had hanging up in his garage that he purchased from my grandpa almost 30 years ago: a JC Higgins Flightliner! He didn't really need it anymore, as it had just been hanging up ever since he repainted and reassembled it all those years ago. Since he got it from my grandpa, who is fishing buddies with a relative of his, and since I'm into these vintage bikes, he told me I'd get first dibs on it. At first we talked about trading for it, but Mr. Belker wasn't really interested in adding anymore bikes to his collection, and I admittedly didn't have anything good to trade for such a bike. I asked him how much he'd want for it, figuring I could just buy it with the money I'd get on my birthday, but he came back with an offer I couldn't refuse: if I promised not to cut it up, he'd just give it to me. That was the easiest terms of service I've ever agreed to in my life! I met up with him again earlier this February, and after talking bikes and classic cars for a few fun hours, I took the JC Higgins back to my grandparents' house, and then after the birthday party was over, home. Amazingly, Grandpa still remembered this bike and selling it to Mr. Belker all these years later! Unfortunately, he doesn't remember how he got it, or what the story was on the bike beforehand.
BftD_JC_1.jpg
BftD_JC_2.jpg
BftD_JC_3.jpg
BftD_JC_4.jpg

I took that cool Fire Chief siren off so it wouldn't fall off on the long drive back home. I just forgot to put it back on for the photos I took when I got home.
BftD_JC_5.jpg
BftD_JC_6.jpg
BftD_JC_7.jpg
BftD_JC_8.jpg
BftD_JC_9.jpg
BftD_JC_10.jpg
BftD_JC_11.jpg
BftD_JC_12.jpg
BftD_JC_13.jpg
BftD_JC_14.jpg
BftD_JC_15.jpg
BftD_JC_16.jpg