Bike Shop Bought Out-Pic HEAVY!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since the owner of the bike shop in my town forgot to pay his taxes to the state the tax man came and shut him down a few months ago. The shop catered to BMX and skateboards, but he usually had some cool stuff in there. Last week I contacted the number for the leasing agent about buying the big sign on the front of the building for my garage, but after spending a few minutes looking in the windows I see that the tax man had only taken the new bikes to recoup their losses. There are still wheels, tires, misc boxes of parts, display cases and who knows what else is hiding in there. I am going to get a chance to meet with an agent on Friday and see what kind of deal I can swing on what is left in there. I know there is a lot of stuff I want, some stuff I need, but most I will be resaleing. Good thing we have a swap meet in a couple months!

Re: Bike Shop Buy Out

Best of luck to you.
Years ago I did the same at a machine shop I worked for, they got IRS closed and I ended up with more machinest tools any man could ever have.
Occasionally I sell them for extra loot, anyone need a 1" to 6" set of Sterrett micrometers for $150.00 plus shipping?
Be sure to sell your extra's, I need a skateboards for me and my boy.

That is pretty cool. Good luck in locking up a deal!!

offer to clean the place out for him for free instead of him "wasting" his time or money to get the place ready for a new tenant.

Keep me in mind bro! I'm looking for a couple pair of 24" wheels & anything else cool!

The only problem I can foresee in a situation like this is the agent thinking you are a big player ready to drop some serious money on buying out whatever is left in the store...sort of a take it all or don't take anything situation.

He may be thinking you're ready to spend $5000-$10,000 to buy everything out.

Then again, he may have no idea what the stuff is worth and just wants to get rid of it all. :wink:

Cameron, I'm pretty good a picking locks! :lol: :lol: Not really!

My wife use to do retail stores and they would take over an old store and do a tearout
then open their new store. She use to sell the stuff that was left in them and they had these
guys that would buy all of what was left. They didn't pay zip. Like $200 $300 and they got tons
of stuff because nobody wanted it. They would have those small fridges and tvs ...lots of cool
stuff for $30 or so. I bought two new fiberglass ladders. One 8' and one 10 ' for $50 for both. Don't be offering too much because they have to pay to have it disposed of if nobody wants it , and usually they don't

I met the guy at the shop today. The stuff left behind was kind of a let down. Most of the parts left are used, although there are some new tires, cables, brakes and some other small stuff. There are lots of big cabinets, book shelves, three display cases, a soda machine, work bench, and a bunch of stuff that will be going straight to the trash. There were a few bikes around. One was a customer's bike that had been repaired, five or six junk kids bikes, a Next MTB, and an older Schwinn Varsity.

There appear to be lots of hand tools, but the work stands and Trueing stand are gone. There is a big solvent tank though.

On top of all that stuff there is one cabinet full of Haz-Mat stuff that I will have to dispose of.

I sent an email to the lady in charge offering to get the space move in ready in exchange for all the stuff. We will see how it goes...

Checked out the Andover space today & there is nothing there that I can see. I think they did all the repair work @ the Derby location. I expect the other store way east will be the same story, haven't heard from my son yet.

What kind/size of tires? You know a guy can't have too many tires! You could always use the soda machine for a beer fridge! :lol:

Latest posts

Back