Bike stretching

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sunny Bank Holiday Weekend so I broke out the Nitro Mors (nasty pastie stuff). Every bit of advice I’ve read says don’t use it and just get it sand blasted, but I needed to experience it to realise everyone is right!
After the Zombiefication of the frame

A6B77FBC-7B4C-452A-98DE-3043281DA3C6.jpeg

I’m still sanding now
But I am determined that Jackhammer will be a raw metal bike.
lots of decisions to make but seat and bars I have ordered
Over the weekend I decided against the front suspension forks because
1. I’ve never liked them
2. (Main reason) they seem to be covered in some plastic coating that quite frankly I don’t have the energy or heart to commit to removing ... so they’ve been shelved

Lid is back on the paint stripper and I never want to see it again

next challenge.
I want to put fatter (much fatter) tyres on it. Been doing some research and I know how to widen the chain stays but also need to work out how I can increase the width nearer the seat stays. So reaching out to the hive-mind to see if anyone else has had this issue?
This is a class 1 build and I cannot weld (not because of rules... I just can’t weld) but did purchase an angle grinder which I’ll need at some point
For clarity
Current tyres are 24x1.85 but ideally I want to fit 23 x 3 (I know, but you can dream can’t you).

E8C5DDAA-FFD9-43EA-B14A-CF452B03D9B1.jpeg

I do have a plan to fit a second chain stay as a bracket and to assist in setting back the seat from the MTB crank so perhaps there are option there to support the frame if I grind the bridges and stretch it out?
Pretty sure the frame is steel though

1863FE6E-3F2E-4463-AA4B-ECFDC13F9BEA.jpeg

does anyone have any ideas / advice?
I’ve found a sweet set of 24x3 Creme tyres that will make me very happy. But I won’t buy them if I can’t fit em
My better half is already stressing at me buying more bike stuff so I can’t afford to go for anything I can’t work with
Am I insane or is there a way this could work ?
Ta muchly

𝐼 𝑠𝑜𝑙𝑣𝑒𝑑 𝑎 (𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑤ℎ𝑎𝑡) 𝑠𝑖𝑚𝑖𝑙𝑎𝑟 𝑖𝑠𝑠𝑢𝑒 𝑙𝑎𝑠𝑡 𝑦𝑒𝑎𝑟 𝑏𝑦 ℎ𝑎𝑐𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑟 𝑡𝑟𝑖𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑙𝑒 𝑜𝑓𝑓 𝑎𝑛𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑏𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑏𝑜𝑙𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑖𝑡 𝑜𝑛𝑡𝑜 𝑚𝑦 𝑓𝑟𝑎𝑚𝑒. 𝐼𝑡 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑜𝑛𝑙𝑦 𝑤𝑎𝑦 𝑖 𝑐𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑 𝑓𝑖𝑔𝑢𝑟𝑒 𝑜𝑢𝑡 ℎ𝑜𝑤 𝑡𝑜 𝑟𝑢𝑛 29" 𝑤ℎ𝑒𝑒𝑙𝑠 𝑜𝑛 𝑎 26" 𝑓𝑟𝑎𝑚𝑒
Screenshot_20210531-161501.png

𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑏𝑢𝑖𝑙𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑑 𝑖𝑠 𝐹𝑢𝑙𝑙 𝑀𝑜𝑛𝑡𝑦, 𝑖𝑓 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑤𝑎𝑛𝑡 𝑡𝑜 𝑠𝑒𝑒 ℎ𝑜𝑤 𝑖 𝑑𝑖𝑑 𝑖𝑡

𝐼 𝑠𝑜𝑙𝑣𝑒𝑑 𝑎 (𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑤ℎ𝑎𝑡) 𝑠𝑖𝑚𝑖𝑙𝑎𝑟 𝑖𝑠𝑠𝑢𝑒 𝑙𝑎𝑠𝑡 𝑦𝑒𝑎𝑟 𝑏𝑦 ℎ𝑎𝑐𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑟 𝑡𝑟𝑖𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑙𝑒 𝑜𝑓𝑓 𝑎𝑛𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑏𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑏𝑜𝑙𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑖𝑡 𝑜𝑛𝑡𝑜 𝑚𝑦 𝑓𝑟𝑎𝑚𝑒. 𝐼𝑡 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑜𝑛𝑙𝑦 𝑤𝑎𝑦 𝑖 𝑐𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑 𝑓𝑖𝑔𝑢𝑟𝑒 𝑜𝑢𝑡 ℎ𝑜𝑤 𝑡𝑜 𝑟𝑢𝑛 29" 𝑤ℎ𝑒𝑒𝑙𝑠 𝑜𝑛 𝑎 26" 𝑓𝑟𝑎𝑚𝑒View attachment 159769
Wow!
That’s wicked. Thanks for the inspiration. I have a spare rear from a suspension bike so may give that a go !

nice one :)

𝐼 𝑠𝑜𝑙𝑣𝑒𝑑 𝑎 (𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑤ℎ𝑎𝑡) 𝑠𝑖𝑚𝑖𝑙𝑎𝑟 𝑖𝑠𝑠𝑢𝑒 𝑙𝑎𝑠𝑡 𝑦𝑒𝑎𝑟 𝑏𝑦 ℎ𝑎𝑐𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑟 𝑡𝑟𝑖𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑙𝑒 𝑜𝑓𝑓 𝑎𝑛𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑏𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑏𝑜𝑙𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑖𝑡 𝑜𝑛𝑡𝑜 𝑚𝑦 𝑓𝑟𝑎𝑚𝑒. 𝐼𝑡 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑜𝑛𝑙𝑦 𝑤𝑎𝑦 𝑖 𝑐𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑 𝑓𝑖𝑔𝑢𝑟𝑒 𝑜𝑢𝑡 ℎ𝑜𝑤 𝑡𝑜 𝑟𝑢𝑛 29" 𝑤ℎ𝑒𝑒𝑙𝑠 𝑜𝑛 𝑎 26" 𝑓𝑟𝑎𝑚𝑒View attachment 159769
I love this bike! Sent you a PM for advice on a future one for myself

Latest posts

Back