Bike trailer problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I recently bought a bike trailer for my dogs and attached the coupler to the left hand side of the rear axle.
The weight dragged the rear wheel to the left and it rubs on the left side fork. Any suggestions how to avoid this?
Thanks.

I have a similar coupler on one of my bikes for the dogs. Not sure how it could shift the axle or wheel if installed properly. Can you post some pics of the situation?

I have a similar coupler on one of my bikes for the dogs. Not sure how it could shift the axle or wheel if installed properly. Can you post some pics of the situation?
Thanks for replying Captain Awesome!
I’ve reset the coupler and wheel so can’t show through pics. When I first set it, I thought I had closed the quick release handle hard enough, but I think the weight of the trailer pushed the coupler, which was running horizontally, down to a vertical position. The coupler attaches to the left side of the wheel. I was thinking this downward movement of the left side of the axle pulled the front of the wheel towards the left fork.
Does that makes sense?

Thanks for replying Captain Awesome!
I’ve reset the coupler and wheel so can’t show through pics. When I first set it, I thought I had closed the quick release handle hard enough, but I think the weight of the trailer pushed the coupler, which was running horizontally, down to a vertical position. The coupler attaches to the left side of the wheel. I was thinking this downward movement of the left side of the axle pulled the front of the wheel towards the left fork.
Does that makes sense?
Not sure which coupler you are running, but mine is intended to be installed vertically. In a standard dropout with qr skewers it shouldn't matter too much. Are you by chance running skewers in horizontal or semi horizontal dropouts? Then I could see the assembly shifting

Not sure which coupler you are running, but mine is intended to be installed vertically. In a standard dropout with qr skewers it shouldn't matter too much. Are you by chance running skewers in horizontal or semi horizontal dropouts? Then I could see the assembly shifting
Sorry I haven’t replied earlier CA.
The drop out is vertical. When I reset the coupler I tightened the qr skewer as hard as I could and traveled home super slow without it shifting.
See the pic. The weight of the trailer pulled the coupler down.
Perhaps I didn’t have the skewer tight enough?
2CFB5303-4312-4929-AF6C-85B59D6D8101.jpeg
EECD18E5-1109-4F80-A85B-FC04817D27FC.jpeg

Not sure why the wheel pulled to the left.

I think I follow what is happening here. That style of trailer bracket expects to be affixed over the threaded axle stub that typically protrudes beyond the dropout. Quick release axles don't do that. You're asking a slender QR skewer to do the job of a much beefier fastener.

Quick release systems rely on their clamping force being applied directly to the bike frame. as designed. You are introducing a bulky part that, frankly, isn't supposed to be there. This is the bracket, right?

bracket.png

This item is incredibly thick compared to most competitors' products, has a large axle hole, and a depression for a flanged nut to seat within. None of that works to your advantage. You could try to reverse the QR skewer, so that the lever is positioned on the drive-side of the bike. No promise that will fix the problem, but it can't hurt.

Agreed ^^^

Different style coupler than I had envisioned and I have, but it does ask a lot of just the skewer clamping force. My connector has small pawls to keep it from rotating while this one appears to just be reliant on pressure

I think I follow what is happening here. That style of trailer bracket expects to be affixed over the threaded axle stub that typically protrudes beyond the dropout. Quick release axles don't do that. You're asking a slender QR skewer to do the job of a much beefier fastener.

Quick release systems rely on their clamping force being applied directly to the bike frame. as designed. You are introducing a bulky part that, frankly, isn't supposed to be there. This is the bracket, right?

View attachment 165295
This item is incredibly thick compared to most competitors' products, has a large axle hole, and a depression for a flanged nut to seat within. None of that works to your advantage. You could try to reverse the QR skewer, so that the lever is positioned on the drive-side of the bike. No promise that will fix the problem, but it can't hurt.
Great advice! Thank you Rusty!

Agreed ^^^

Different style coupler than I had envisioned and I have, but it does ask a lot of just the skewer clamping force. My connector has small pawls to keep it from rotating while this one appears to just be reliant on pressure
Thanks CA!
Yes, the small paws would make a difference. Typical, China made, lacking the finer details!
I’m now thinking of trying Rusty’s suggestion or a separate clamp with bolt and nut to secure the coupler onto the bottom of the left fork, between the stand clamp and the skewer.

Latest posts

Back