Bike Work Stands! Homemade or store bought. What do you have? What have you built? Let's see your ideas.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a bike work stand. I want some degree of portability. Park Tools stuff is awesome, but man...are they proud of their gear!
I think I can cobble together something cheaper and more sturdy.
I'll start with this car engine stand inherited from dear old dad.

IMG_4383.jpg

IMG_4384.jpg

I won't be rebuilding any more small block Chevrolets, so I thought, "Why not figure out a way to use this boat anchor as a bike work stand? If it'll hold a car engine securely, it will sure as shootin' hold a bicycle."

I figure I could bolt a wall-mounted/bench-mounted bike repair stand to this thing.

bike stand.png

It has wheels, so it has some measure of portability, but I won't be picking it up and putting it into my pickup truck bed anytime soon.

IMG_4385.jpg

This bike repair stand could be easily removed from the engine stand should I or someone else need the engine stand for its designed purpose. (unlikely)

What say you? What do you have or use? What have you built? What are your opinions/recommendations?
Let's see 'em!
Please.

Last edited:
Look for a used Park Tool stand, they can be had for less than half of new. Parts are readily available. I have two. I had a cheaper version before these and all it did was wear out quickly and you can't get replacement parts for the the cheaper china ones.

Years ago I had one made from a engine stand. Mine worked and I used it for years. It wasn’t high enough and the access to the side of the bike that wasn’t on the outside wasn’t good. I gave the engine stand away when I moved. I recently welded one up from junk I had in my scrap pile. It fits into a small and standard trailer receiver, into the back of one of my bike carriers and can be used freestanding. The problem is it’s heavy, but I can disassemble it by sliding it apart and take it to races. I put it in the bed of my truck. If I bought an aluminum spool gun and the gas I could have made it from aluminum and that would be nice and light. It’s very stable and you have excellent access to each side.

On the second photo, flip the “T” around and it fits into a standard receiver. The square tubing just slides out of the “T” and over the part that goes into the small receiver. There are shims welded to the inside of the square tubing so it fits snugly onto the small receiver end of the “T”.

B7265141-7070-4F0F-A7BF-F3348E5C59EC.jpeg

It works on my concrete floor, on grass and on gravel surfaces. Once in awhile, at a race, I have to use a small piece of a board as a shim under one of the round stabilizing legs if the ground at my campsite is very uneven.
2F4C3F95-DB08-4B7B-9F8E-C9C3B684493C.jpeg

Not a real stand but what I do . For occasional maintenance I made an aluminum brace and bolted it to a unicycle seat post I flattened the mount on. Sometimes I put the handle bars in a rest I made. Other times I rest the top tube on an old warped keyboard stand.

Seat post unit up.JPG
Handlebar unit clamped.JPG
Unit in use.JPG
Easier alternative.JPG

Amusingly: I use a pair of fairly tall plastic saw horses. roll bike between 'em, slide a two by board, lift bike so the front of the seat hangs on the board, slide second board behind the seat, and use a pair of quick release clamps to hold the boards together.

It's .... cumbersome, and it gets in the way, but it keeps me from having to flip the bike upside down to work on it.

Amusingly: I use a pair of fairly tall plastic saw horses. roll bike between 'em, slide a two by board, lift bike so the front of the seat hangs on the board, slide second board behind the seat, and use a pair of quick release clamps to hold the boards together.

It's .... cumbersome, and it gets in the way, but it keeps me from having to flip the bike upside down to work on it.

Philistine!

;)

:thumbsup:

When it rains, it pours! Apparently, my wife and #2 son do not coordinate much...but it's all good. If one is good, two is more betterer!
Lovely wife gifted me this Bike Hand work stand today. I did my research, and this and the Park Tool were at the top of my list. Good materials, fit and finish, and workmanship. Solid and sturdy.
I would recommend, and I have to say I like it as much as the Park Tool.

Attachments

• IMG_4436.jpg
    IMG_4436.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4437.jpg
    IMG_4437.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4438.jpg
    IMG_4438.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4439.jpg
    IMG_4439.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4440.jpg
    IMG_4440.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 61
italian_made_vetta_stationary_bike_trainer_75_williamsburg_va_9575599.jpg

When I first started working on bikes this is what I used. Actually worked pretty good. I built a table to set it on and secured it down. It was adjustable enough to fit most bikes.

Latest posts

Back