Bike Work Stands! Homemade or store bought. What do you have? What have you built? Let's see your ideas.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple pieces of pipe attached with a 90 held in a vice. Had a "clamp" made out of a bar clamp, but now I just hang my bikes by the saddle.

I bought one of the cheapie bike stands from Lidl. The stand itself is OK but the clamp is absolute garbage. I'm thinking of reworking it with something more substantial. I'll keep you posted

When working in the basement, I hang 'em high. Screweyes, "S" hooks, and rope. Infinitely adjustable.

hanger.jpg

I have a small foldable aluminum work table where the top opens and closes with crank handles. I think it’s a Black and Decker unit. I have clamped bikes in that, usually upside down. Works good for many bike repair jobs. It’s got all bent and I some what straightens it out. I fell off my garage roof putting on a metal roof. I landed on it. The collapsing and bending absorbed the impact so I only had cuts and bruises. I was going to toss it but then I figured out it’s still good as a bike stand.

I bought a cheap bench top mounted stand and retrofitted it to a rolling stand I dug out of the scrap bin at work. Didn’t work half bad, but it was hard to keep the bike from rotating in the fixture if I unbalanced the load (remove a wheel). So I welded a junk sprocket and crank arm on the end of the main tube and set it up to index it anywhere in a 360deg range and hold it there with a 5/16 bolt through the teeth on the sprocket. . Works for what I’m doing and still cheap.
A1EB7736-279C-41E6-A94B-E99F20DFAF7B.jpeg
EA257EE6-48FA-4882-A90B-D4EFE75C02D6.jpeg
F8C9F40F-E045-4C6D-8C2F-98A060611EC9.jpeg

I'm thinking of putting one on a swing down from the ceiling in my garage, so I can swing it up and out of the way when I'm not using it. Got the idea from a ceiling mounted one at the LBS. But forever I've just used a hook....
IMG_20220402_152545__01.jpg

Carl.

When working in the basement, I hang 'em high. Screweyes, "S" hooks, and rope. Infinitely adjustable.

View attachment 189276
I have done this in the past. The only draw back I had, is sometimes when you're really wrenching on something it can swing all over. I have a couple of stands, both cheapos and they work pretty good. I have had and used lots of the Park Tool stands, and they are by far the best ive ever used but they cost $$$$$. I have a cheapo wanabe Park stand and it works like the real deal, except when i throw the Fatty in the clamp. Just to much bike!! I have a wall mount hanger, that works pretty good for quick maintenance and adjustments. $10 at wally world

I got this wanabe Park stand on the cheap from an online retailer owned by some guy named Bezos. It works well, but has plastic bits where the Park is metal
Its pretty easy to fold it up and take it to go. If you race or go somewhere to fix or put together bikes

Attachments

• IMG_20220428_142741 (1).jpg
    IMG_20220428_142741 (1).jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back