Bikes and Historic Sites

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ED42988D-6895-4A52-9978-02B1BDE313B9.jpeg

Gary Fisher at the Buckingham Fountain in Chicago

from wiki: Buckingham Fountain is a Chicago Landmark in the center of Grant Park, between Queen's Landing and Ida B. Wells Drive. Dedicated in 1927 and donated to the city by philanthropist Kate S. Buckingham, it is one of the largest fountains in the world. Built in a rococo wedding cake style and inspired by the Latona Fountain at the Palace of Versailles, its design allegorically represents nearby Lake Michigan. The fountain operates from May to mid-October, with regular water shows and evening colored-light shows. During the winter, the fountain is decorated with festival lights.

A popular prank is to dump a few boxes of laundry soap into it.

Gary Fisher at the Buckingham Fountain in Chicago

from wiki: Buckingham Fountain is a Chicago Landmark in the center of Grant Park, between Queen's Landing and Ida B. Wells Drive. Dedicated in 1927 and donated to the city by philanthropist Kate S. Buckingham, it is one of the largest fountains in the world. Built in a rococo wedding cake style and inspired by the Latona Fountain at the Palace of Versailles, its design allegorically represents nearby Lake Michigan. The fountain operates from May to mid-October, with regular water shows and evening colored-light shows. During the winter, the fountain is decorated with festival lights.

A popular prank is to dump a few boxes of laundry soap into it.

Al Bundy

I already posted this in another thread but we don’t have that many historic sites here.

The Civil War was over, the Indians didn’t put up much of a fight. They were, of course, dying off for centuries even back then.

88B81106-6FED-42E1-B6A5-FF9BF24E9A8A.jpeg

Last edited:
I live in Clovis California. There’s another famous Clovis in New Mexico. But they would be less famous except for (in our case) the rodeo & (in their case) skateboarding & ancient “Indians”.

The ancient Indian people follow the Clovis theory of ancient migration. I don’t believe that, and neither do a lot of my wife’s Navajo ancestors.

Anyhow, Clovis California is a very new town, Dating from the “lumber-rush” days of 1870 & having grown from ~10k people in 1974 to ~100,000 today.

Today I rode 2 miles to one of the newest & least historic Parks & it is quite lovely. (The Italian cypress do need some pruning, after the recent wind, though.)

D3CEAD62-24DF-465C-9DC7-3073CE9C182B.jpeg

C48DD691-8D8E-440E-AD1D-3246591A3558.jpeg

D16DF5DB-59B3-44C7-A407-5D2B8F6B627B.jpeg

Latest posts

Back