Bikes I likes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boom.
https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=195680&pagenum=11200+ posts. Rat hardtail all mountain. Probably something I like in there
I likes the modular dropout.
Sams-Garage-Built-Fat-Bike-7.jpg

Unlike the typical MTB thread, that one embraces the rat mentality. I was kinda surprised to find it. It has really gotten me thinking about my fleet. I've neglected a couple that deserve better treatment. I tend to blow em apart and then forget about them. I've gotta start finishing bikes

I am a massive fan of that thread so many cool builds using what they have. I just wish I could find an older aggressive hardtail frame cheap to join the fun.

I might not have anything all mountain enough, but that rat MTB vibe I've got in spades! I'm easily distracted, easily influenced. I had been spending too much time looking at catalog spec and period correct restorations. That's not what I'm about

I might not have anything all mountain enough, but that rat MTB vibe I've got in spades! I'm easily distracted, easily influenced. I had been spending too much time looking at catalog spec and period correct restorations. That's not what I'm about
Yes, I find it very easy to be distracted by the wonderful things done by people who restore things, so that more of my time is spent looking for 'the right parts' instead of 'my right parts'.

When I used to work as an R&D engineer we would have racks of parts and very little built-up stuff except for what we were currently working on, and only at the final stages would we be working on stuff that came down the initial production line. I found that very inspiring, it was like most of what we did was rat, and we got paid for doing it. It kind of overflowed into my own stuff.

Below is my friend and fellow engineer Chris riding our C50r project, and in the background is my C70t project - which I was riding only half an hour before, but we did not yet have an engine built for the C50r...

AM-JKLUzBGiXCGPht8miz2npNNxWyPP4dumj3E8d2xBvksLnJ0s5MX02kjZ9SigcNnDXcUcgkKKhWRpnUBrbLCiD_z90faiMgMlMcIifPavH5tL2y8C7UJJsj_IcBpku9LQ0gtYP83Cv5qyQqV3ETzLM3M4erg=w1261-h955-no

Often I just have to walk away from what other people are doing so that I can see more clearly what I want to do.

I'm starting to have feelings about building bikes for the competitions as well, feel like I am building a bike for someone else's tastes. I can't really do anything with the last one I built, I love the thing, but I favored style over utility in an attempt to please the audience. It isn't my bike, it is the forum's bike. I can't ride it, and it's taking up limited space in the garage. Might wind up as yard art, because I can't get rid of it. I'm still in for the MuscleMXBO, but I'll have to think pretty hard about next summer's project

If you feel like you are out of step with everyone, it could be because you are a step ahead of them ;)

This morning I realised that I had designed the wrong bike for ORBO - too much looking at other people's bikes and I had ended up with a cafe racer, ha ha. But after a bit of head scratching, and looking at my C70t project again, I think I now know what I should do to build my bike my way.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back