bikes will be on the back burner while I build my 59 VW !!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A update and progress pics

I been away for a bit buy ive been a busy boy.I decided to try and save the OG paint as best I could its only right to rat this vintage beauty.I started building my own 3/4 rack and finally found a drivers door.I scored a 1500cc motor from a friend so next is brakes 'suspension,and more metal work and soon she should be road worthy :mrgreen:
20130210_140809_zps0cf868a5.jpg
20130210_140842_zpsb614cbcf.jpg
20130220_193111_zps703304c1.jpg

Re: I think the bikes will be on the back burner for a while!!!

Man that Van! It is sweet! In great shape, you got lucky ducky!
I have chased cars and bikes for years to no avail, other ones jump into my hands, you really got lucky!!!
My last air cooled had the triptonic transmission, it was broken, it was as simple as rebuilding a bicycle!!!!

If you want a big motor I have connections.....

Thanks man ive been waiting a long time to get my hands on one of these.It had alot more rust rot then i first realized but ill turn it into a survivor.Im gettin ready to change the drivers dog leg,rocker,A B and two C pillars, a couple out riggers ,and about half the front and rear floors.It could be worse ive got some roof patching to do but the passenger side is pretty nice just dented.

Sweet mango bus there love it. I had a basket case flip seat camper for a short time, but it sold once I got my Corvan. Hpoe'n to get a few bonus's to have $ to pay someone do paint work on my bug, I just dont have the time to comit to it. Then I can get it back together.

Another VW saved, thats great to hear. 20 years ago I bought and saved a 1969 bug that was broken down on the side of the road. The PO was kicking the driver side door as we pulled in behind him.

And, today I finally got that 57 Oval that I wanted so bad...
405789317.jpg

FatBoy, did you notice the license plate! Thats right even though I am in NC I got this girl from Temple City VW and this license was an original issue in 63. I even have black and white photos with VW maintenance receipts to prove it.

Anyways, just a little east coast jealousy...you folks in CA have all of the bad a## VW's

It was covered in a off white house paint when i brought it home.After a couple hundred razor blades its about 90 percent stripped to the OG paint. :mrgreen:

Wow how time flies...Here is the bus today ,i drive the wheels off of it . Im running a 1915 cc dual 40mm car set up, type 3 straight axel trans,4 wheel wilwood disc brakes. drop spring plates in the rear, front beam is narrowed 4",adjustable and has 2" drop spindles, also a dual stage master cylinder...heres a few pics the last two have the Big Daddy Rat Fink Scooter and my mini bikethumbnail (12).jpgthumbnail (10).jpgthumbnail (7).jpgthumbnail (8).jpgthumbnail (14).jpgthumbnail (13).jpg

up date Krusty has gone over 10k miles and two different motors lol. It has a 4" narrowed adjustable front beam with drop spindles,wilwood disc brakes front and rear,air suspension,1915cc motor with dual 40mm carbs,type 3 trans straight axle,and porsche cosmic wheels. Ive done lots of shows and rallys and won over a dozen awards and done one magazine photoshoot. My family and i love this bus!!!

Attachments

• thumbnail (20).jpg
    thumbnail (20).jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 28
  • thumbnail (24).jpg
    thumbnail (24).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 28
  • thumbnail (23).jpg
    thumbnail (23).jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 27
  • thumbnail (21).jpg
    thumbnail (21).jpg
    176 KB · Views: 26
I wish I had one of those. My first memory of a car was the family 1959 Kombi bus. 35hp and governed at 4800 rpm, which was only 48 mph. I found a pic of it in the local paper archives, at the grand opening of a dept. store back in 1962. I was 5 years old. That's our brown and red bus right near the front door.

microbus hills opening (2).jpg

Bus looks amazing man, love what you did to it, great to see you are enjoining it to the max

Wow 10 years to build, and 20 years just looking? That is the culmination of a 30 year desire!

I’m trying to imagine how that feels right now. Oh yeah . . .

One of my first jobs was building Single port Volkswagen engines in Layton Utah. Dualports hadn’t come out yet.

Later, I had a hopped up ‘66 fastback in the 70s. (Long gone.)

In 2020 I bought my second Volkswagen ever. It’s a 1980 kit car, with the ‘73 engine and chassis, dual port intake and a fake stylized “jaguar” SS100 style body.

546CEE7E-9E57-47C4-BA27-04E2081D9F81.jpeg

I have wanted a car of this style, though not necessarily a Jaguar, since I was in college in 1971. I never thought that the one I eventually would buy over 50 years later would be a VW.

It’s in the process of complete refurbishment and I’m going to put up some more pictures in a new thread.

(Edit: it’s registered as a 1973, not ‘68.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back