Billy Bobber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love those tires, never seen up close before.
Those discs don't look bad to me. $30 is a lot cheaper than $400. It would be a shame to paint Moonies. I wonder if you could anodize them? That would be a first.
You're definitely right on the price part of it. I'm pretty sure that I can probably live with these ones. I just get too picky on things sometimes. I've always wanted a set of the moon discs but never wanted to pay for them. As far as anodizing them you may be onto something although black anodizing usually fades to a brownish gold after some time in the sun. Red or blue would look super cool on the right buiId. I really wouldn't have a problem painting a set of moons. Be nice if I could come across a used set but probably unlikely.

Well, I got a little bit of tear down and played around with the wheel / tire combo. I came across these GT smoothie 26x2.5 tires that were take offs due to the guy not wanting dirty tires all the time. They remind me of the thick slick but white. While mocking them up I also got reminded of how much white tires suck to keep clean. Although they don't suck as much as the cheap plastic wheel discs that I tried out. I payed a guy 30 dollars for these things and that was 30 dollars too much! Pretty sure that if you look up flimsy piece of crap wheel discs there is a picture of these right next to the definition. I do however like the look so now it's time to contemplate buying a set a moon covers and painting them black or trying to make myself live with these.

I also sat the tank in place along with the chain guard. Thinking maybe I can mount the nexus shifter inside the tank and sticking out the hole just enough for a shift lever. Depends on knee clearance I guess. I'm still not sure on what forks. After seeing it like this maybe just add strut bars? Although I was leaning towards triple trees with clip on bars.

View attachment 156884View attachment 156885View attachment 156886
That pretty much wraps up my free time for the next couple of weeks. I have a little Datsun pickup I'm taking to the Salt Lake Goodguys show in a week and a half and have a few things to do to get ready for it.

Btw... I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's builds this year View attachment 156887
Just wondering about the wheel covers? I’ve always admired them but you don’t see them to offend or only on custom bikes. Are they still around and what are they made from? I’m in Australia so I get to see all these awesome parts in America and day dream. Thanks

Just wondering about the wheel covers? I’ve always admired them but you don’t see them to offend or only on custom bikes. Are they still around and what are they made from? I’m in Australia so I get to see all these awesome parts in America and day dream. Thanks
These ones are plastic and cheaply made. I'm not sure if they came on a bike or aftermarket. I've looked for more but cang seem to find any here in the states. Mooneyes make the aluminum ones but they are 400 usd a set. Although you get what you pay for.

These ones are plastic and cheaply made. I'm not sure if they came on a bike or aftermarket. I've looked for more but cang seem to find any here in the states. Mooneyes make the aluminum ones but they are 400 usd a set. Although you get what you pay for.
I just had a look around the internet because it seems crazy that only one place is doing the covers, I guess it’s supply and demand. But then I remembered that race bikes have them and I had a look at 700c wheels and they do still make them. So depending how they clip together you could cut them down. But I dug a little deeper because I thought what about a kid that might want them on their bike and they make them to suit a 650c wheel which is the same as a British 26 inch wheel according to what I found. I didn’t save any of the website that said they made them because I can’t recommend any one. But here the Google search I used -

Bicycle Aero Wheel Covers

I just had a look around the internet because it seems crazy that only one place is doing the covers, I guess it’s supply and demand. But then I remembered that race bikes have them and I had a look at 700c wheels and they do still make them. So depending how they clip together you could cut them down. But I dug a little deeper because I thought what about a kid that might want them on their bike and they make them to suit a 650c wheel which is the same as a British 26 inch wheel according to what I found. I didn’t save any of the website that said they made them because I can’t recommend any one. But here the Google search I used -

Bicycle Aero Wheel Covers
I saw that as well. Thank you for the info.

Boom
tiogadiscdriveB.jpg

Those are the support spokes on the disk

http://www.bikeman.com/attic/museum/tiogadiskdrive.htm
*Drops microphone, walks off the stage

Every once in a while I come across something that inspires me and makes that light bulb in my head shine brightly...

I originally didn't think I would like the forks that came on the bike as much as I do. I really planned on doing a cool springer or a triple tree, etc. Well after seeing the wheels and tires on the bike I thought hmmm, I kind like those forks. The more I looked at the bike the more I grew to like them thinking that if I add some truss rods it'd be perfect. I always have a problem when it comes to handlebars, seat, pedals and all the goodies. I'm the type of person that likes everything to flow and look like it belongs together. Anyways to cut this book short, I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what kind of handlebars to use which leads to the following...

Last night while surfing the good 'ol FB I came across this meme. Not only did I think is was a great meme I thought that is exactly the kind of handlebars I want. Something low, pointing at a downward angle and gives that look of something built to go fast.
e5bcbc94f60945160010b05a4f63d537.jpg

I thought about it all last night laying in bed and woke up early, dug through some handlebars and headed into the shop. After looking at the bars I had, I came to the conclusion that the bars that came on the bike were the best to start hacking up to play with. I was so excited to start making them that I forgot to take a before picture, haha. I did crop a pic of them on the bike to post here and started taking photos once I realized that I wasn't doing so. Here's what I started with.
Screenshot_20210513-114527_Chrome.jpg

Here are pics of what I did. Using a tubing cutter I cut the center out to narrow them. I then cut in the middle of the down ward angle just so I could change the direction of the handle to fit where I wanted. I then tried to find some pipe or tube to sleeve them with so that I could play with angles before welding them. They were an odd size but while digging through spacers and shock sleeve I came across a few tuner style lug nuts that fit perfect. I pieced them together and had a quick look with them on the front of the bike and once deciding to continue cut the center hump for the stem out and slid over the center... I will let them stay as is until I get truss rods bolted on and figure out what length and angle stem I'm going to use.

I figured tgis is something most anyone could do with a few tools other than maybe the welding which you could always get a buddy to do.
20210513_121507.jpg
20210513_120027.jpg
20210513_120127.jpg
20210513_120228.jpg
20210513_123428.jpg
20210513_124335.jpg
20210513_125405.jpg
20210513_125511.jpg

And YES, it's almost time for some new work shoes...

Every once in a while I come across something that inspires me and makes that light bulb in my head shine brightly...

I originally didn't think I would like the forks that came on the bike as much as I do. I really planned on doing a cool springer or a triple tree, etc. Well after seeing the wheels and tires on the bike I thought hmmm, I kind like those forks. The more I looked at the bike the more I grew to like them thinking that if I add some truss rods it'd be perfect. I always have a problem when it comes to handlebars, seat, pedals and all the goodies. I'm the type of person that likes everything to flow and look like it belongs together. Anyways to cut this book short, I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what kind of handlebars to use which leads to the following...

Last night while surfing the good 'ol FB I came across this meme. Not only did I think is was a great meme I thought that is exactly the kind of handlebars I want. Something low, pointing at a downward angle and gives that look of something built to go fast. View attachment 157346

I thought about it all last night laying in bed and woke up early, dug through some handlebars and headed into the shop. After looking at the bars I had, I came to the conclusion that the bars that came on the bike were the best to start hacking up to play with. I was so excited to start making them that I forgot to take a before picture, haha. I did crop a pic of them on the bike to post here and started taking photos once I realized that I wasn't doing so. Here's what I started with. View attachment 157345

Here are pics of what I did. Using a tubing cutter I cut the center out to narrow them. I then cut in the middle of the down ward angle just so I could change the direction of the handle to fit where I wanted. I then tried to find some pipe or tube to sleeve them with so that I could play with angles before welding them. They were an odd size but while digging through spacers and shock sleeve I came across a few tuner style lug nuts that fit perfect. I pieced them together and had a quick look with them on the front of the bike and once deciding to continue cut the center hump for the stem out and slid over the center... I will let them stay as is until I get truss rods bolted on and figure out what length and angle stem I'm going to use.

I figured tgis is something most anyone could do with a few tools other than maybe the welding which you could always get a buddy to do.
View attachment 157347View attachment 157348View attachment 157349View attachment 157350View attachment 157351View attachment 157352View attachment 157353View attachment 157354

And YES, it's almost time for some new work shoes...
Those narrowed bars are SICK!!! :113:

I have a vision in my head of the bars I made angling forward from the top of the head tube with pretty much a 0 degree rise and reach, keeping everything tight and low. While looking for a decent looking stem to do so I came across this one. I've never seen one like it before. I think with the single bolt it will look really clean. Guess we'll see when it gets here.
Screenshot_20210515-195900_eBay.jpg

Latest posts

Back