Billy Bobber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any updates from billybobland?

I was busy last weekend doing car show things but did manage to get a little free time this morning to work on my seatpost. I looked at the bike for a while and since I want the bars and seat to be low and sleek decided to make the top bar seam as if it extends back over the seatpost tube. You'll get what I mean when you see the pics. I dug out some scrap pieces of 7/8" thickwall pipe and some 1" thinwall. The following is todays venture...View attachment 159589
I cut the top of the seatpost tube flush and used a die grinder to hog out downward so the new seatpost top fits flush.
View attachment 159590
I then used the thinwall 1" to sleeve over the seatpost to make it the same diameter as the top tube.
As for the seatpost, I cut at a 45 degree angle, beveled the edges, welded it up, ground down the weld, and lightly hammerd it into the frame. View attachment 159591View attachment 159592View attachment 159593
I plan on welding the sleeve to the flame and plug welding the seatpost down the setpost tube in a few spots. I'm not sure what seat I'm going to use so this is where I'm going to leave it for now. The seat in the pics is a Brooks cambium c19 off a different bike I have. I want to use a leather saddle that has the dropdown sides so it will cover the clamp. So now the search for a seat begins...View attachment 159594View attachment 159595View attachment 159596

In case anyone is wondering what I took to a carshow, here is a picture of my 1963 Datsun NL320. 1 of approximately 1,000 produced.
View attachment 159597
Love the Datsun used to have a 65. Going to have to keep an eye on this build I have been thinking about putting the gear shifter on my wife's bike out of the hole where the horn used to be for her 3 speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the Datsun used to have a 65. Going to have to keep an eye on this build I have been thinking about putting the gear shifter on my wife's bike out of the hole where the horn used to be for her 3 speed.
I've been wanting to run a shift lever out of the horn hole on one of my tank builds. Just haven't figured out the mounting bracket inside the tank yet.

This build is rad, can't wait to see where it goes! Love what you did with the bars and the seat post.
That Datsun is cool too!

I've been wanting to run a shift lever out of the horn hole on one of my tank builds. Just haven't figured out the mounting bracket inside the tank yet.
My thought was using flat stock like what the screws go into to hold the two halves of the tank together. And make it go to both sides of the tank so that you can place enough screws in it to hold the shifter steady without bending up the metal of the tank. That is as far as I've gotten with it so far just a dream

any updates from billybobland?
I just now checked the page and saw this. Not sure why I didn't get a notification. I have been extremely busy around home, work, car shows, kids birthdays, etc... july is going to be just as busy. I may have to start going in to work an hour or so early so I can get some work done on it. It's pretty hot here right now so we are working 4am to 3pm the last couple weeks. Your bike is looking great! Have a great day

Thank you! I'll see if maybe I can make some time soon to work on getting that part done.

I was busy last weekend doing car show things but did manage to get a little free time this morning to work on my seatpost. I looked at the bike for a while and since I want the bars and seat to be low and sleek decided to make the top bar seam as if it extends back over the seatpost tube. You'll get what I mean when you see the pics. I dug out some scrap pieces of 7/8" thickwall pipe and some 1" thinwall. The following is todays venture...View attachment 159589
I cut the top of the seatpost tube flush and used a die grinder to hog out downward so the new seatpost top fits flush.
View attachment 159590
I then used the thinwall 1" to sleeve over the seatpost to make it the same diameter as the top tube.
As for the seatpost, I cut at a 45 degree angle, beveled the edges, welded it up, ground down the weld, and lightly hammerd it into the frame.
I plan on welding the sleeve to the flame and plug welding the seatpost down the setpost tube in a few spots. I'm not sure what seat I'm going to use so this is where I'm going to leave it for now. The seat in the pics is a Brooks cambium c19 off a different bike I have. I want to use a leather saddle that has the dropdown sides so it will cover the clamp. So now the search for a seat begins...View attachment 159594View attachment 159595View attachment 159596

In case anyone is wondering what I took to a carshow, here is a picture of my 1963 Datsun NL320. 1 of approximately 1,000 produced.

that, my friend, is the best seatpost solution i've ever seen. and stunning to boot!
... lil' datsun's extremely nice too.

Latest posts

Back