Billy Jack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been mulling over this idea for a trike build and now getting close to green lighting the thing;

Inspired by this trike from the Born Losers (1967) featuring the Billy Jack character

100_0434-1.jpg

I was hoping to partner up with the 4th horseman again, but sadly he's committed to other projects.

Hope to use this frame from lovelylowrider

billyjackframe.jpg

these 16X8 Cragar Eliminator mags

cragar.gif

these Avon A72 240/50/16 tires out back

cobra72r.jpg

I found a site that already has done this (Atomic Zombie) so i ordered their plans for their Gladiator trike chopper. I really only need to know how they set up the rear end, as I'm not building a frame from scratch. On their site a guy named Taylor already is in the process has been helping me out with advice. his trike is here

trike1.jpg

trike3.jpg

trike2.jpg

Taylor found a guy that plasma cuts or water jets the 5 lug hub plates, and then Taylor welded in the lugs and hubs to the 3/4" axle. I'm gonna get the plates from the same guy and have Taylor weld them up.

I really don't want to use car tires, as they make too much contact with the road. M/C tires have a much smaller footprint which will help in rolling resistance (i hope). Still researching to see if they'll be problems in mounting a m/c tire to a car mag, as well as what size m/c tire will fit a 16X7 car mag.

As far a frame set up, i'm thinking of either welding a steel plate underneath the lower rear stays where the pillow block bearing and axles would be OR cutting out the lower stays and welding in a 'pitchfork' style rear end like in taylor's trike.

it's all in the concept phase right now. haven't bought a darn thing yet. But getting close. :roll:

Appreciate any thoughts/opinions/laughter

Spin

Re: The Billy Jack

Get buildin' :mrgreen: Very cool 8) Nice wheel choice too :D

Just a quick note...if you buy the frame we'll need to move this one to the "BIKE BUILDS" section. :wink:

well, bro, now I know why you wanted to know if i had a trailer! :D

Looks killer! But when your my age, you don't dare ride a trike, no matter how cool....People would say: Hey look at that old guy on the cool trike. To bad he can't ride on TWO wheels anymore. :roll:

"..... when your my age, you don't dare ride a trike, no matter how cool....People would say: Hey look at that old guy on the cool trike. To bad he can't ride on TWO wheels anymore.:roll:

Well, I'm 51 now. I guess this'll be me in 10 years or so.... :shock:

oldman.jpg

Hey, I love the Exile chopper, but I bet ol' Russell would't have those monster meats on there if he was pedlin that dern thing!

Me, i'm gonna go with m/c tires as I know they'd roll a whole lot better than car tires.

Here's my vintage '70s sketch done the way you did things before PCs and photoshop and proE and all that new fangled jazz.

The tires and wheels are about as true to scale as i could get. the frame is the exact one i'm getting. I'm hoping to somehow rig the mid drive hub either where it's shown or underneath the stays. Gotta have a knarly shifter somewhere as well.

The frame wil be here this week, and allow me to scope it out and then I'll buy the 1.5" EMT galvanized pipe and elbows from Home depot and start laying things out. I found a local welder who also happens to have a 1,500 HP twin-turboed Gremlin ( :shock: ) he races down the dragstrip. He's currently building some guys kit '68 camero costing a querter mil with a $35K engine. And I thought i spend alot for my toys. :roll:

100_0443-3.jpg

I always figured I'd build up a trike like this when I would have to use one. Thanks for blazing the trail, dude!

Latest posts

Back