Black '63 Typhoon build / suggestions ?!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CL find, have broken it down, overhauled the hubs. Trying to decide how to rebuild. Do I repaint...., but the logos are still nice? I really don't want to do a complete "restore to original". Id rather just make it look cool and ride nice. The frame and fender paint is mostly good, so I could try to match the black and just touch up...is that possible?
I'm rebuilding the wheels and cant decide if I should go with as is, white/black pinstripes ( Ive done the oxalate bath and used some cutting compound but they still look kinda of beat up) or repaint them completely with the same or different colors. Ive seen a stencil kit for the pin stripes on ebay. Maybe all black with white stripes??!!
Does anyone have any thoughts on these wheels and over all build? Here is a before pic of the bike. Paint is good but theres lots of bare metal / paint chips on the rear triangle.
'63 Typhoon just picked up.JPG
white S7 1.jpeg
white S7 2.JPG

The original paint looks good. I'd keep it and touch it up. I like the pin striped wheels too, but maybe upgrade to chrome or even aluminum hoops?

Thanks for the reply H Farmer!
Ive thought of upgrading /purchasing to diff rims which leads me to the thought of upgrading the hubs, which leads me to upgrading the BB, cranks, etc all in the name of a better performing bike with a vintage look. ( Im a huge overthinker depending on my "state of mind ha ha !! ) But I just built a new Enduro bike that has the sickest components out there so I've kind of got that out of my system ( I'm an avid mountain biker ). Although I havent figured out what attracts me to these old vintage bikes( Im a total rat rad newb ) , I don't think I want to totally upgrade the components,( not that thats what your suggesting Horse F ) , I just want to make them cool looking and comfortable to ride with minimal cost and maximum fun and learning at this point.
I like the thought of repainting the rims but a different color, like black w/ red pinstripe for example, keeping the "original parts" but making them look cool.
Is that something that all you Veteran Rat Rodders would agree with or is it sacrilegious to deface those white S7's when they are arguably not too bad??!!
Its obvious I'm still "finding my feet" in this hobby. Looking at the pics / build offs/ etc ,Im mesmerized by the bikes you'all are building , Love it !!!!!

Cool Typhoon. This is totally my personal opinion, but I would leave the paint on the frame. Especially if you were going to paint it black again, generally speaking original paint is always more desirable and cooler. With some rubbing compound and a coat of wax you can get that paint looking pretty good, just don’t run off the decals (they come off super easy). Black schwinn are awesome. I would say do whatever you want with the s7 wheels. If you want to go back to original another set isn’t too hard to find. Just be aware you can only fit 26x1 3/4 s7 tires on them (looks like you have new tires),you can’t use regular 26x1.75 tires. I like to add balloon size rims on middleweight bikes and with a schwinn you can even squeeze in a 26x2.35 tire in there even with fenders. Here’s a couple of mine.

1956 schwinn American. Aluminum rims with heavier gauge stainless spokes. Had to file the front axle threads a bit to fit in the fork. 26x2.125 tires.
26ACB8F8-0ED3-48A9-89B7-00B0F9618664.jpeg
FFC1CCBB-8F25-42A2-8B7F-53C6468DC1E8.jpeg

1964 Schwinn Typhoon. Standard balloon size rims that look a lot like the original s7’s. Fat frank 26x2.35 that barely fit. I need to true the rims and adjust the fenders a bit.
D847E5A0-D64F-4B5F-A22C-8376BE42697B.jpeg
2D9336FB-D4D5-4074-AA4D-32FE7D585A19.jpeg

8FDF13E0-4134-426E-8367-7ADE23948B05.jpeg

I overhauled a 64 American, same color as yours. Cleaning and waxing the good Schwinn paint and chrome was about all it needed. It looked like yours or worse before I started, and great when I was done. The paint and chrome back then, especially on Schwinn, was excellent. The black dings may be able to be touched up with gloss black model paint like testors.
I would also go with new standard size rims, chrome steel, ss spokes and using the same hubs unless you could find a yellow band kickback two speed Bendix hub. That was 10 bucks extra in 63.
1615010775038.png

Thanks for all the killer suggestions / replies ! and great looking bikes ! Geez I love this "sheet" ! haha !
I'm totally in the "keep the original Black paint" camp !
like to add balloon size rims on middleweight bikes and with a schwinn you can even squeeze in a 26x2.35 tire in there even with fenders. Here’s a couple of mine.
Kram I did not realize that the Balloon tires , even the 2.35s, would fit on the Typhoon frames and with the original fenders?!!! That's great info!
The black dings may be able to be touched up with gloss black model paint like testors.
I would also go with new standard size rims, chrome steel, ss spokes and using the same hubs unless you could find a yellow band kickback two speed Bendix hub. That was 10 bucks extra in 63.
It's hard to beat pinstriped white wheels for a cool vintage vibe. :cool2:
I'd like to try my hand at repainting the original rims, I have a pin stripe stencil I found on eBay on the way ( who knows how it will work , but Ill find out ! ).
-Do you'all have any suggestions on where I find the "pearl" white paint that these rims appear to be? Otherwise I might just go crazy and do completely diff colors!
- any suggestions on fixing this ( one and only ) ding on the one of the rims? Method or should I even attempt ?
- Hers a pic of what needs touched up on the frame, mostly from the generator and tail light mounts...someone went crazy with those things. You'all say that Testors gloss black will do the trick ??? I could just leave it, I kinda like the red undercoat that seems to be everywhere.
-Last pic is of the front fender. I removed the reflector sticker with a heat gun, and used some Meguires cutting compound on. Rear fender is much worse shape but will update with that one soon.
Thanks for the help / replies/ suggestions !!
63 white rin dent.JPG
63 frame1.JPG
63 frame2.JPG
63 frame3.jpg
63 front fender1.JPG

Great looking bike. What I would do.
Snatch a set of worksman wheels, or heavy duty cruiser chrome wheels and give them the wire wool and brushed chrome look...stick to factory widths for tires to keep fenders happy.. I've tried the stencil kits and you have to get a good clean edge..(some guy's will hit the tape with a dusting of clear coat to prevent bleed through first)
I wouldn't bother with touching up the paint. I'd just get it good and clean, (clay polish maybe )and penetrol the bike and wheels.

I think it mostly depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you are just building a rider, you could get a Cranbrook for parts and swap out the necessary bits. If you are building it as a restore, get restoration parts and build it up nice. If you are building cheap, well, reuse as much as possible. Your original post really didn't say what you are trying to achieve.

I know if I had a black bike, I would probably powdercoat it in a color like this:
painted with a beautiful Black Holographic Metal Flake in .004 size. Slight black sparkle in the shade, linear rainbow in the sun.

Attachments

• black_holographic_metal_flake.jpg
    black_holographic_metal_flake.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 68

Latest posts

Back