Black & Blue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's black and blue and has a five foot wheelbase?
Myrecumbent.jpg

Thinks I can bring this guy back with sanding and polish. Appears to have been sitting next to a boiler.
crustybanana.jpg

No ordinary chain will do for me.
415chain.jpg

Satchmo for inspiration.

Tried 100 grit sandpaper and plastic polish for a looksee. The blue is gone, however, it appears I can achieve a nice black and blue blend.
100% alcohol and mineral spirits removed paint and dirt. Acetone caused an immediate harsh reaction. Don't use on soft molded seats. Up to 2000+ grit and polish by hand should be shiny and smooth again. Keeping an eye out for seat conchos.
bluebanana.jpg

Theme related tunes to wakes me up.

Getting the ride stable is crucial. I believe a coaster brake is a better solution for stopping than levers.
The bike is in C2 because I can't add or make another change to C1. This project is very important to me and worthy enough to be in a build off.
bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg

That stance looks absolutely sick! Love the colour.
I have seen a "square" fork crown before on this buildoff, I think on a picture of @Reallybigtim . It looks industrial and tough to me.

Oh by the way: a lot of crumple zone for a crash :grin:

That stance looks absolutely sick! Love the colour.
I have seen a "square" fork crown before on this buildoff, I think on a picture of @Reallybigtim . It looks industrial and tough to me.

Oh by the way: a lot of crumple zone for a crash :grin:
That is a cool build! That frame and fork go together very well. Yes, I have a set of those California Chopper forks from the early 70's, but the set I have (I believe) are a set of prototypes (46" long) that were never put into production (and never chromed either). They seem to only fit a 26" bike and give a very radical stance because the steering tube and fork tubes are parallel to each other. To my surprise, they do provide an optimal 3" trail length and ride/handle amazingly well. They bounce like a springer but keep the front tire in line when turning (they don't twist). This was a very easy bike to ride once you got the hang of it.

DSCN0659.JPG

I am invited to a local rideout end of August to play with other fancy cycles. . . there's BBQ after.

Rather than a complicated masking job, I'm content with scuffing the original single-stage paint and go for a black fade. I added fuchsia as a 3rd color which works with black and blue in the form of thin stripes.
B&BX333.jpg

I worked out the simplest polymer panels I could deal with that can be formed by heat. They start as two simple triangles. Fender wise I'm at a loss. Chrome is out for sure.

The sprocket is a simple affair. Ten speed guard bolted to a small Schwinn mag with stainless hardware.
sprocket+guard.jpg

The bars are extended 37'' wide.
36inch.png

Black plastic pedals which are most forgiving during pedal strikes which I will endure.
blackpedals.jpg

The rear wheel will have to be changed for lighter weight to spool up quicker on acceleration. I have two other tires models to play with. Rim width is the same. The front tire and rim are final.
I checked the 3 speed coaster hub internals. Everything looks good, ready to install.
Shimanohub.jpg

I would prefer a thumb shifter because it's safer and I like the appearance of cabling. I Appreciate tidy cable work on anything. Found a 3/16'' X2'' X12'' aluminum flat bar I can cut a lever out of with a kick that bolts to a Click-Stick.
shifter.jpg

I made this rear light assembly for another bike to fit the same seat model.
rearlights.jpg

Although, I do like the directional arrows from this common style lamp. I could do without the thin chrome. I just want the arrows.
reararrows.jpg

Thank you @Kevin B, @Captain Awesome, @Dr. Tankenstein, @Shrunken_Head_Pedaler, @MattiThundrrr, @BartRidesEternal, @Karate Chicken Industries, @JA331, @Reallybigtim and anyone else I missed for taking interest.

''My only sin is in my skin
What did I do to be so black and blue
?'' From the song Black and Blue always gets to me.

I am invited to a local rideout end of August to play with other fancy cycles. . . there's BBQ after.

Rather than a complicated masking job, I'm content with scuffing the original single-stage paint and go for a black fade. I added fuchsia as a 3rd color which works with black and blue in the form of thin stripes.
View attachment 202754
I worked out the simplest polymer panels I could deal with that can be formed by heat. They start as two simple triangles. Fender wise I'm at a loss. Chrome is out for sure.

The sprocket is a simple affair. Ten speed guard bolted to a small Schwinn mag with stainless hardware.
View attachment 202759

The bars are extended 37'' wide.
View attachment 202760

Black plastic pedals which are most forgiving during pedal strikes which I will endure.
View attachment 202761

The rear wheel will have to be changed for lighter weight to spool up quicker on acceleration. I have two other tires models to play with. Rim width is the same. The front tire and rim are final.
I checked the 3 speed coaster hub internals. Everything looks good, ready to install.
View attachment 202762

I would prefer a thumb shifter because it's safer and I like the appearance of cabling. I Appreciate tidy cable work on anything. Found a 3/16'' X2'' X12'' aluminum flat bar I can cut a lever out of with a kick that bolts to a Click-Stick.
View attachment 202763

I made this rear light assembly for another bike to fit the same seat model.
View attachment 202764
Although, I do like the directional arrows from this common style lamp. I could do without the thin chrome. I just want the arrows.
View attachment 202765

Thank you @Kevin B, @Captain Awesome, @Dr. Tankenstein, @Shrunken_Head_Pedaler, @MattiThundrrr, @BartRidesEternal, @Karate Chicken Industries, @JA331, @Reallybigtim and anyone else I missed for taking interest.

''My only sin is in my skin
What did I do to be so black and blue
?'' From the song Black and Blue always gets to me.
Too sick! Looks mean and fast just sitting there.

I love this bike, that’s it.
I wanted full extreme. Gobs of negative trail, pedal scraping. Shifting requires taking a hand off the bar which is a danger. The fork is out of parameter. It's not supposed to be mounted on a frame with an excessive headtube angle. It's a spring, but not a true suspension. There's mad rebound delay. I can't express how much fun these kinds of bikes are to ride and work on for me.

I didn't put the grips on all the way setting the hold further apart. It feels even more awesome wider. The bars started at 32''. I can see the entire front wheel without any obstruction. It's in another zip code🤣 It happens to be quite comfortable because I'm in reclined position sitting just behind the rear axle. It's my sorta recumbent. A PhD could make a study of it and how it operates. I can even get the bike through and around tight corridors in buildings with the wide bars because the fork causes it to fold around corners, unlike stretched bikes.
I doubt it'll go very fast level. 1st gear is set for climbing. It's crank forward so no out of the saddle, I could, but it's weird. I'll fly it down a hill in a video tho.

The build was a spontaneous move. It was either now or perhaps not this year again. We have poor weather conditions in the northeast. Not a winter rider.

@Captain Awesome, if you are, so am I🎇

Were does this wild build stand?
Tick Tock to the finish line!

Latest posts

Back