Black Friday Krate?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not feeling real great today after searching this site and discovering I've put in considerable time/effort/$ into restoring an $88 Black Friday Krate (new handlebars not shown). I should get some enjoyment from riding it if I don't crack my skull reliving my "wheelie" days.

IMG_0354.jpg

Nothing wrong with BFKs. I bought one in each color when they came out and swapped all kinds of parts and enjoyed the heck out of them. The green one was my favorite for a long time. Fun fact: if you take off the front fender, a 20" wheel fits right up in that springer fork.
3rays04.jpg
3rays03.jpg
3rays05.jpg

I eventually put all the original parts (except the slicks, i kept them) back on the blue and green and sold them. Then I scrounged some more parts and built the black one into a Scrambler tribute circa 1976-77.
20200127_072925.jpg

Nothing wrong with spending a few bucks to have a little fun.

Thank you for the pics, tips and words of encouragement. I found a pair of 20 inch wheels and plan on swapping them onto the bike. Could leave the rear wheel intact but the bike sat out in the rain so long that there is too much rust/pitting. Don't recall the Scrambler version but I like the look.

I agree with Matti. I have a raliegh superb I spent 200 bucks on another 250 on a brooks saddle, 160 on a dyno hub, 200 on new rims, 30 on wood for basket, 40 on leather for grips, not to mention the inverted brake leavers cables spokes all in 1200 atleast. Could have bought a pashley governor for that. But it would not have been mine.

Nothing wrong with BFKs. I bought one in each color when they came out and swapped all kinds of parts and enjoyed the heck out of them. The green one was my favorite for a long time. Fun fact: if you take off the front fender, a 20" wheel fits right up in that springer fork.
View attachment 186686View attachment 186687View attachment 186688

I eventually put all the original parts (except the slicks, i kept them) back on the blue and green and sold them. Then I scrounged some more parts and built the black one into a Scrambler tribute circa 1976-77.
View attachment 186689

Nothing wrong with spending a few bucks to have a little fun.
That scrambler is very cool!!!

That scrambler is very cool!!!
thanks! Top one is mine, bottom is a pic I found through Google. Mine won't fool anyone who knows what they're looking at, but it makes a decent rider...
My project.jpg

Latest posts

Back