Black sails

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some 3/4 hp US made 24 V DC motors. I was just going to rely on friction drive and or a belt clutch. I don’t intend to take this bike very far or very fast.

My dad had an 8 hp snapper gasoline lawnmower and all it had was friction drive.

It had primitive CVT action from a platter and some “skate” wheels. I figured it out when I had to fix it all after burning them up doing wheelies.

That fork has a great motorcycle vibe to it with the fat tires.
I love thos Kool Knight chains. They have been my go to chain for the past couple of years. They do have a special pin that is a bit different from other chains. The hardest thing about handling them with they are new out of the box is the heavy greasy vaseline they bathe them in. It's so sticky!!!

The gear sensor had to be repositioned because it was too far from the magnet.
IMG_20220611_164102.jpg

What is left is to install the rear brake cable and the gears cable.

Life had gotten me for a while. I had a rather sudden visit that left me with no spare time for a while. Sadly it was only diamonds and rust.
So I ran the cables that I had on hand just to get a rider. And I have a rider.
IMG_20220613_165633.jpg

As you can see I have a convenient frame bag for my tools. I will take the bike for a ride one of these days.

Looking good! Love the satnce!

The clearance is more than sufficient. I had to learn to lean the bike in tight curves, but after a minute I got the hang of it. It is quite comfy. I rode around and had to pull the rear wheel a bit to tension the chain. Apart from that no issues at all. I will probably just leave it like that in true ratrod fashion, with the cables ran in a way that just makes it work.

It really looks like a comfy but cool ride man!
Nice work!

Cool brace!

Harleys use to have a seat hinge well forward, and the seat structure cantilevered way back, over the seat tube.

It was UGLY but you could do a clean fake with one DIY clamp around the top tube,

I am thinking about it because the Felt stickers are not needed anymore and if I need them I can make them again. I would like to drop the battery to be flush with the motor but the curve of the frame would allow it only with something in between.
I also use this luggage bands to hold it because I must have unintentionally damaged the lock so without them the battery might fall out during a ride. Some stretchy cloth might be a good solution. I will see.

You could always make some black velcro straps to replace the luggage bands

1659548602757.png

Don't forget to cross the finish line!

Latest posts

Back