Blue bike

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Sep 19, 2012
I wanna play! I skipped last year because the camera in my phone didn’t work so I had no way to document anything. Got a new old phone now so I’m in! I have no idea what I’m gonna build yet but it will be blue. Got 3 swap meet score frames to choose from, this Westfield

If I use this one it will keep its original paint, so blue bike. Next choice is this one, not sure what it is but got it for 40 bucks with a pair of wheels, a rack and truss rods

Also would keep its original blue color, lastly this bike

The truss rod was goofing up my focus but it’s badged Sam-Sco, someone painted this one blue already, if I use this one I’ll unpaint it and repaint it blue. So I guess step one is pouring a frosty beverage and staring at these things then figuring out what I have for parts, haven’t touched a bike with a wrench in 2 years, stay tuned...

Mar 26, 2012
Maplewood, MN
Welcome back, Schultzie! I like your approach... "So I guess step one is pouring a frosty beverage and staring at these things then figuring out what I have for parts ..." :wink1:
If you are taking 'input votes', I say either 1 or 2, the curvy frames always grab me. A little light cleaning, maybe a varnish coat for sheen, and either of those two will be on track to an unprecedented three-time-winner of the OJ Award :oops:;).

RaT oN~!

Reactions: idiotboy

furyus

RRB Supporter
Pro Member
Jan 31, 2011
I choose the Bultaco.

furyus

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Can't go wrong with a Snyder built fastback frame!
I'll take Door Number 3 Monty!!!

1620660094361.png

Which reminds me of an early funny Jimmy Buffet song

Sep 19, 2012
After digging through some piles of parts, I’ve decided on the Westfield frame. I have the best stuff for that one, a Columbia springer fork and a good prewar skiptooth chain wheel, and I picked a few other potential bits, all subject to me changing my mind or the bike wanting something different of course

The first test fit of the first part was successful, now to buy some wood bleach and simple green...

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2012
Maplewood, MN
Wood bleach and Simple Green...hmmmmm. Please take us through the process and the chemistry as you go. That Westfield frame and Columbia fork make a great combo!

RaT oN~!

Reactions: idiotboy
Sep 19, 2012
Wood bleach and Simple Green...hmmmmm. Please take us through the process and the chemistry as you go. That Westfield frame and Columbia fork make a great combo!

RaT oN~!
No chemistry here my friend, I’m not that clever [emoji16] two separate buckets, headset and bottom bracket parts and such goes in the simple green to get rid of old grease, dirt and crud

. And the rusty hardware and fork parts go into a solution of wood bleach and water

An overnight soak, then a scrub brush and some warm water to rinse. Really crusty stuff can stay in the simple green longer, but the oxalic acid leaves a nasty yellow residue on parts if you leave them in too long, I learned that the hard way of course

Mar 26, 2012
Maplewood, MN
Ahhh, so you put them in Simple Green to start with, and then the wood bleach follows. What is your ratio of wood bleach to water, Mr Science? :giggle:

And will / do you apply any scrubbing technique to this process? If so, your instrument of choice?

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
I always love seeing the results from OA baths but I have yet to do it myself.

Love the skippy sprocket man!!!

1621013998330.png

Latest posts