Blue bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Great results! I may have to give that a whirl. Looking good, Schultzie~!

After digging through some piles of parts, I’ve decided on the Westfield frame. I have the best stuff for that one, a Columbia springer fork and a good prewar skiptooth chain wheel, and I picked a few other potential bits, all subject to me changing my mind or the bike wanting something different of course
ee543618799962ab8e9e586f9bda729f.jpg

The first test fit of the first part was successful, now to buy some wood bleach and simple green...
2b495b2f9dec7bd3faca9bac5d4052bd.jpg
I like it already. The Columbia springer is my favorite. If I wouldn't have used one on my last build off bike I would use one on this one and still contemplating doing so.

YOWZA!!!
Now those are the kinda blues you don't mind having!

I must remember this for my other projects - now I just need to find out what 'wood bleach' is in Polish :)

I wanna play! I skipped last year because the camera in my phone didn’t work so I had no way to document anything. Got a new old phone now so I’m in! I have no idea what I’m gonna build yet but it will be blue. Got 3 swap meet score frames to choose from, this Westfield
8bcc8affd8d0d949dc647530c38ab39d.jpg

9701a26f0c362527166cc37749e41499.jpg

If I use this one it will keep its original paint, so blue bike. Next choice is this one, not sure what it is but got it for 40 bucks with a pair of wheels, a rack and truss rods
21f9b70a88edc4aa778e3530ae8389ec.jpg

c581b0057a541b2754c9b863a04cedc8.jpg

Also would keep its original blue color, lastly this bike
3a9bc18e247487ad4d45ece3c1bf3110.jpg

caf83521ced2a84a9b95201cb1090a2f.jpg

The truss rod was goofing up my focus but it’s badged Sam-Sco, someone painted this one blue already, if I use this one I’ll unpaint it and repaint it blue. So I guess step one is pouring a frosty beverage and staring at these things then figuring out what I have for parts, haven’t touched a bike with a wrench in 2 years, stay tuned...
I like the first one. Very unique.

Any new progress here, Schultzie? Maybe some more up close photos of 'before and after' with that wood bleach blend action?
One question, I forgot, what was the container for your rust remover made of? I have a long tray , plastic like a Rubbermaid type, that I am thinking of using. I can get the whole fork in it....

Any new progress here, Schultzie? Maybe some more up close photos of 'before and after' with that wood bleach blend action?
One question, I forgot, what was the container for your rust remover made of? I have a long tray , plastic like a Rubbermaid type, that I am thinking of using. I can get the whole fork in it....
the container is an old cat litter box, plastic of some sort. I just bought the biggest plastic tote they had at Lowes so I can soak the whole frame, gonna have to reposition it a couple times to get the whole thing, but should be done this week, stay tuned...

I'll check my stash for any chain tension bolts. Otherwise, if you have one 'good end' on one of the bolts, I always take old ones in to my Ace Hardware and use their bolt gauge to size up the thread count and the diameter of the bolt, and then buy some new ones. A hex head bolt would work well in that location, or a longer 'set screw' style bolt.
set screw.jpg
hex bolt.jpg

Otherwise, if you have one 'good end' on one of the bolts, I always take old ones in to my Ace Hardware and use their bolt gauge to size up the thread count and the diameter of the bolt, and then buy some new ones.
I was just thinking about how much I miss rummaging through bins of hardware this weekend. Need a few for my bike, but I might be able to find them on a carcass instead

Howz old blue comin' along?

No real progress other than cleaning parts, I did some math and ordered spokes. I’ve got a new departure rear hub in good shape , and a NOS Union front hub. The rims are the last remaining bits of this old Westfield that’s been giving up parts for a few years now but before I can build the wheels I have to paint the rims. I can’t decide between white rims with black tires, blue rims with black tires or blue rims with white tires, so back to frosty beverages and staring…
B49EFB08-6185-4875-B6C7-9192703ADB69.jpeg
E0031478-85FF-4804-8061-4356042F06C4.jpeg

The frame got a wood bleach soak, then cleaned with steel wool, soap and water. Straightened the dropouts best I could, now I can start to see what’s gonna fit the frame and what’s gonna take some persuasion. Also the subway sign might make an appearance later on…
ECC431B8-5D25-45C6-9F63-59117148D65D.jpeg

Blue bike isn't 'blue'; it looks happy! Subway sign, eh? hmmmm....

"All the small parts have been cleaned and sprayed with rust prevention " ~ former two-time winner of the RaTisfied and RusTified OddJob Award.

Schultzie, has your beer gone stale?

Back