Blue Streak

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started this mid-may but it seemed like everyting around my house broke down this summer My truck, the computer, the fridge, the garage door opener, a bunch of shingles from the roof. now I am temporarilly caught up with the must do list I'll see if I can get done before the deadline. I'm starting out with a Schwinn Varsity 10 speed. The wheels were trash. The paint was only slightly scatched. My goal is to make a faster than normal cruiser.

union038.jpg

union039.jpg

I trued up some 700cm wheels from a Bianchi project that I couldn't seem to finish. I bought some continental 28x175 tires that i guessed were the biggest ones that would fit in the frame. They were folded up to the size of a wallet and shipped in a tiny box. With some work they did return to round.

I have a bunch of progress pics of handle bar, fender and sprocket mock-ups and the tab that I welded on to hold the rear deraileaur. For some reason no matter what picture I try to post it turns up the last picture of the bike or image void. I'm going to get some new shots in its current state. Hopefully they will work

Crisis averted. My wife just gave me a tutorial on right click, left click and how they are not the same. Let's not speak of this again. Here is a picture of my big fat tires I want to try and squeeze in.

ratrodbikeblueschwinn005.jpg

ratrodbikeblueschwinn038.jpg

ratrodbikeblueschwinn039.jpg

Space is at a premium at the rear dropout. So I had to find a new place to hang the rear deraileaur. At first, I drilled a hole in the rear dropout, but that looked way too flimsy. I ended up cutting a chunk off another dropout and welding it onto mine for strength. I have the camera on the wrong setting for these next pictures, or maybe I needed to right click.

alexJune2009057-1.jpg

alexJune2009058-1.jpg

After grinding, primer and paint, here is the result.

greenhallbluestreak019.jpg

Hi, I was just going throught the posts and noticed you are using the same frame as I am! I can't wait to see what you are going to do with it :mrgreen:
Mines called Subterfuge.

Here is the working model with most of the finall parts salvaged: Seat, grips, bmx brake levers, Trek sprocket. I bought a conversion kit to go to a three piece crank. I really liked the big ol' mag wheel sprocket but it seemed out of proportion with this bike. This baby rides super smooth. With a few more gears it could be awesome. I have been cruising this one quite a lot with my eight year old at nearby Tower Grove Park. I had put on a bobbed fender on the rear that looked great. It had about a 1/16 clearance and needed to be adjusted every 50 feet. Took it off for sanities sake.
greenhallbluestreak020.jpg

greenhallbluestreak023.jpg

greenhallbluestreak024.jpg

I want to get the cables routed through the bars. Put some paint details on the top and head tube. Make a plate tank and install a headlight. Of course two big projects at work are drawing to a close and our annual float trip is the first weekend in August. If I don't sleep it will all get done on time.

turned out nice didn't it? thanks for posting the finished photos!

Thank you. It really rides nice and is very manuverable. I wish I had a bike like this when we used to play Zeke (bike tag) back in school. I'm thinking about taking the crank down to a single gear. I usually take this out to ride with my nine year old. no need to go too fast.

Latest posts

Back