~ BlueX ~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipton

Come out and ride with The Chicago TailDraggers!
Pro Member
Reaction score
I will be using this diamond frame
100_5055.jpg

This should be fun! good luck to everyone

Re: ~Blue X~

Looks like a good starting place. See Ya on the 15th for the next Chicago ride. 27" or 26"?

Gary its got 26"
Getting started
buildoff5001.jpg

Not the tire I will be using but a 26x1.95 FITS! :mrgreen:
buildoff5002.jpg

This fork my need more engineering then I have time or skill for :roll:
buildoff5003.jpg

buildoff5005.jpg

It does look like my tank ideas will work :mrgreen:
buildoff5007.jpg

buildoff5011.jpg

buildoff5010.jpg

Next up is to make a "seat post" out of parts from this
buildoff5008.jpg

more to come Thanks Skip

Skip I have a 1 1/8 inch threaded tripple tree but it looks like the bearing cups are the same size as your's they measure 1 11/32 od if you could find the right size tube you could splice on 2 slices to the head tube. OR we could tig the cups right to the frame.
Gary

MAD MR said:
[
The back tank is a nice idea... I'll follow this project ;)
Galtbacken said:
Yepp, I also like that tank under the seatstays! :)

Thanks Guys!

Update....
A few months ago got this Monark Free out of the trash :wink: got the rear tank from it
buildoff5001-1.jpg

I have been reading about vintage race motorcycles alot lately got this idea

buildoff5003-1.jpg

buildoff5004-1.jpg

When its is done there will be a bar that come out of the seat post tube on the blue frame and conncets to Monark seatstays
my inspiration
indian_racer_1908-11477.jpg

Oh Man! this is so much fun already!
Thanks Skip

An idea for your fork issue, I had that problem many times, I avoid it by finding the right size of fork then grind the fork off the steerer so that you see the bottom half of the steerer that the forks where welded to, remove the one from the forks being used but use it to make spacers for the new steerer you cut out, this works well and makes builds look clean.

Hsean
Thanks for the tip sounds like a good idea
UPDATE....
I have been trying to figure out what to use for a seat post some thing with a cool shape
Then I looked at this lying on the basement floor :roll:
buildoff5001-2.jpg

a hacksaw make it into this
buildoff5002-2.jpg

I think this will work just fine
buildoff5004-2.jpg

buildoff5005-1.jpg

I know it looks like a hack job now but weld the Monark tube to the stock seat post and the Monark seatstays I think it will
all come together
Lots more to come
Thanks Skip

Re: ~Blue X~ update 5-5

This keeps getting better and better! Would the new seat stay look mor like the moto if you flipped it so the curve is to the back and the tube met at the stub tube in the center of the new seat post tube?
Gary

Re: ~Blue X~ update 5-5

Gary I agree, I am still figuring out how it all goes together, I do think the Monark stay need to be turned around and think the center piece be cut off I do like the curve going up like this not shure I can ride it :roll: nobody said it needs to be practical :lol:
buildoff5003-2.jpg

Thanks stay ratty
Skip

Just a quick update
Got the "seatpost" location figured out pics to come
I got this seat for free at a swap meet would be a little hard to ride :shock:
I do like the springs so put this seat pan on did not even have to drill new holes :D

buildoff5005-2.jpg

buildoff5007-1.jpg

buildoff5013.jpg

I my or my not cover it.
Got this in the mail yesterday from TheFlyingDingo :mrgreen:
buildoff5009-1.jpg

buildoff5010-1.jpg

Thanks Skip

That seat is going to be awsome! free and fits can't wait to see your progress on Sat.

Dude! This build is something that's been rattling around in my head for awhile, too! COOL!! I'm gonna SO steal your ideas! :lol: See 'ya Saturday!

Thanks! Guys
I have decided to not use the triple trees this fork will fit better with the theme
buildoff5001-2.jpg

buildoff5002-2.jpg

But I have a problem......
How the heck do you get a rusty head set off with out cutting the fork? :cry:
I sparyed this thing months ago(and every day this week :roll: ) with PB Blaster. The rest of the bike came apart no problem but I can't get the fork out.
does heating with a torch work?... any other tricks?
Thanks Skip

Have you tried clamping the head tube in a vice and rapping on the top of the fork legs with a soft face hammer?

if you hadnt cut the frame loose id say stick the stem in a vice and then use the frame for leverage to twist it loose....but it doesnt work to well w/o the frame for a cheater bar.
cut the stem off and then use a drift punch to knock the remains of the wedge bolt/wedge out the bottom would be the easiest/fastest way

Latest posts

Back