BMX Find...Whatizzit?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Title says it all...

GEDC1923_zpswfhnjb7j.jpg

GEDC1922_zpscfa6rsbw.jpg

GEDC1921_zpsew9rjzio.jpg

GEDC1920_zpsxddwoubb.jpg

GEDC1919_zpsg3l2zekm.jpg

GEDC1925_zpsaxs9rnkm.jpg

GEDC1928_zpsfzvixaep.jpg

I saw the wheels and said...I NEED those... but the more I look the more components I like..
BB really looks Schwinn, electroforged style. but headset area is welded (very nicely)..

Any ideas, guys?

What you found is a totally rad 70s Schwinn Scrambler that someone added several nice upgrades to.

Bars may be stamped "Redline" somewhere since he was running a Redline brute stem. Forks and KKT Lightning pedals were also nice upgraded items back then.

Let me know if you decide to sell it. ;)

I'm probably going to try it out for a bit and then decide if I have room to keep it. I fell in love with it at first sight.
Do you think that paint is original? It is a blue metallic and there are some stripes in the chainstays.

It's about time I found a good BMX.. Loads of junk around here!

It's hard to tell from your photos what the paint is really like.

The original water slide decals usually leave remnants if they were falling off. Someone either did an amazing job of cleaning them off or they spray bombed the frame.

Yes, it's a 70s Scrambler. They welded the headtubes some of the years that they made Scramblers, as it was apparently stronger than the EF junctures at the head.

My Scrambler has a smooth EF'd headtube.

Forks look to be early tange tx500's, those redline brute stem's fetch big dollars here in oz. same goes for those pedals.

There's little doubt that the best way to make $$$ on this machine is to part it out. The curved TX500 forks can be tough to find, but looking at the top pic, these might be bent. (?) The era-correct upgrades on this bike fetch some decent money nin the USA these days, as well.

DJ Bill says he's loving the bike; i hope that he'll keep it and ride it.... b ut if he chooses to sell, there's definitely some money to be made in that bike, as it sits.

Unfortunately the forks have a couple dings in the curved area at the top. I dunno about a rearward bend ....I'll have to get a rake measurement for that particular fork and measure it out. In any case it still is very functional.

I've never owned a "real" BMX before.. and riding a good one is something I have wanted to try for a long time. I'm 5'10 with a 31 inch inseam so this bike feels small ...if I sit down. But hey, I've ridden a folder and a swingbike in public, so being laughed at by small children is something I'm getting used to anyway..

If it turns out the bike is no longer fun....then I will consider parting it out..I looked up the Redline V bars last night and was impressed..and a swingbike with same size Skyways seems like a fun option too.

If I do like it enough to keep, it's going to get the chrome all cleaned up.

After a bit closer look it looks like an automotive refinish...No badge holes, lots of smoothed out areas, and the aforementioned "ghost" striping on the chain stays.(and nowhere else??)

I haven't found the serial number yet either... Where did they hide them in this era??

Would Schwinn have provided a chain guard on this originally? There is a bracket for the front of one..

If you're like me....you'll try riding one of these around a few times and come to the conclusion that you're not 13 anymore. :p

They're basically fun to tinker with, play around on once in a while and hang up for display.

Typically what happens is that the desire for a hefty profit tends to outweigh the desire to do all of the above. :21:

I do know one thing though...they can end up being like Lay's potato chips. :D

shop.jpg

I like to use my '80 Scrambler on pub crawls. Sometimes, i ride it to the coffee shop, where at least one middle-aged hip.dad will act like the bike is some sort of celebrity

Hey guys, loooong time no post. No longer riding daily as life interfered...Anyhow its time to sell this bike as I can't transport it to TX. ..nothings changed, any ideas what to ask? Bike located in Vermont at the moment...not really into shipping.

Latest posts

Back