(BO-X) RAMCHARGERS Drag Bike (Finished, last detailed pictures)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now where was I? Ok, so I got the new frame today so that puts me back to day 2 of the build. I've mounted the rear wheel and it has plenty of room when it spins. Now I've gotta strip the paint off of this one as well.
The bike came with a Shimano SPEED SELECTOR hub and it has some issues. The selector lever is disconnected from a divot in the mechanism on the selector plate. I also scored another one of these hubs and it is in perfect working order. The draw back to that one is it came minus the wheel. It may require some special tools to service so I need to do some research to see how to disassemble it so I can get it mounted on a good rim. Putting that on the back burner for the moment.
DSCN0836.jpg

DSCN0835.jpg

I agree Luke. I'm sure it has its quirks, but the fact that it's different makes it cooler.

This is all I have found on the interweb so far... The exploded view of it was on the Sears web site. The view is small and if you try to enlarge it, it just becomes blurred.
I found this short explanation of how it works:
"It is an automatic overdrive built into the freewheel. As the bike is ridden an internal sensor changes the freewheel from direct to overdrive. There are 5 sensitivity positions adjusted by turning the protector plate. The indicator needle moves to defeat the overdrive."
And then these 2 Japanese adds. The first add is dated 1968 and the second 1969. If I may point out, in the drawn pictures, the dropouts don't appear to be American bicycles. Anyone here read Japanese?
Shimano%20Auto%205.png

1968%20Shimano%20Auto5.jpg

1969%20Shimano%20Auto5.jpg

Last edited:
Should do something like the first ramchargers car "hi and mighty" it was because of that car's odd super long runner intake that they used the technology on the later Chrysler 300 crossram.

The coolness continues. How many hubs have their very own Japanese super hero!!!

Should do something like the first ramchargers car "hi and mighty" it was because of that car's odd super long runner intake that they used the technology on the later Chrysler 300 crossram.
Yep! I know the history of that car well along with the entire RAMCHARGERS history. The 70 Dodge Challenger is my favorite out of them all. See 1st page of my thread.

Work has been kicking my butt the past 2 weeks so no real progress on the build. I may be able to start the mock up. I just feel I am so far behind, having to wait on the new frame to arrive. How much time left???

Mocking up! Hey, at least it's progressing. Right off the start I noticed that the seat post will need to be laid back. I'll figure out the length of the forks once I get the BB put together.
DSCN0891.jpg

DSCN0892.jpg

Looking like a quarter mile bike to me.

Very cool build sir! That is too bad the drag bars didn't work but I am sure those mtn bike bars will feel right at home on there.

Latest posts

Back