BOARDFEATHER finished 7/31/09

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: BOARDFEATHER Paint pics 7/2/09

looking good GSC!

I like what you are doing to your Indian Scout. Here is a photo of mine and a Sturmey-Archer 6 speed that I will be putting on a 1950's Hercules.

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

A 14 and 20 cog rings. Spacer is behind the 20 cog. It had 2 spacers before.

IMG_1472.jpg

Blink; thank you for the comment's it just seems to be taking forever, but I have tommorow off and the key word is my wife says why dont you work on your bikes......yes!!!
Cman; I am actually really happy the way that came out...as it wasn't planned that way, first it was going to be red on the front then white over black so I did a quick paint job just to see how it would look, and then I came up with this, I just had to do something with those lugs.
No Cars On Mars; Thank you for having your bike done before me as it is the only other one I've see and it has been a reference point quite a few times and it is very nice by the way, cant wait to see your conversion done. 8)

I got my white tires in the mail, just about have the wheelset done, and I was gonna run a brooks saddle....until I just come across an exercise bike with a cool white seat (tucknroll) style so five bucks later its in the back of my work truck..hopefully some pics tommorow.. 8)

Hopefully I can get some more pics posted next week, as my work computer net connection is down, So last night I got my headbadge bolted on, used little nuts/bolts thought it was working pretty cool till the other forks I may use rubbed on them,(air tools will fix that) cleaned up the bearing cups and installed. I picked up a sweet brass whachamacallit that will make a sweet headlight and I also picked up a brass table lamp that has all the makings of being used for a springer mount (I dont know if it will make it in time for this build) the tires look real nice mounted up, the fenders are cleaned and painted on the underside :?: started cleaning the vintage stem and persuading the rams horn bars into theyre place. I have lots of ideas....its just the time thing that runs me a race.

Very Art-Deco inspired design with the feathers...you can't go wrong with the colors...I would have done the same with that bike. Lookin' GooOOOoood.

I had to nix the rams bars as they were more bent than I thought, but I was able to finagle the z club bars I originally was going to use into the vintage stem (nothing broke....sweet!!) but I have ran into issues with the forks trying to find replacements in the yard either they are too long on the stem or the threads are rusted beyond repair. My last hope is a set that looks bent but thats the way they are made, and I mocked them up with my Ace is the place layback seat post so I think I am on the right track. Just alot of chrome cleaning to do along with my copper cable housing I need to bend......all in time

Re: BOARDFEATHER Mock up7/20/09

This is somewhat of a mockup as I get the forks all set with the bearing races I come to the conclusion the fork post is too short.. so at this point I my have to straighten out the original forks or extend these somehow, And yes the rear wheel is mounted backwards (english you know) all I know is 106 in the shop is no kind of working conditions waiting for a cooling trend :x [img]http://i248.photobucket.com/al.../albums/gg195/holyrollin72/S7301887.jpg[/img][/url] And the fenders are just sitting there for positioning and the seat post may stay if I black it out. And yes those forks are supposed to be that way as far as the bend goes.

I'm usually not big on flipped bars but those look cool. Good job.

I was able to straighten out the original forks ...so strip and paint again and I was in a crank dilema as all the english ones I have are really rusted or want to keep on the bikes they are on. So I was able to swap a BSA crank (aluminum) set off an old Peugoet that will polish up real nice plus I can go caged bearings yay!!!,so that will be it next week as I am going to Portland for a week, then it will be the race for the finish :shock: still have to set up the shifters, brakes ,derailer, fab a kickstand, bend some copper tubing, fab up lights, mount fenders....ya know the usual.

onelesspedestrian said:
check my build thread for another solution to your steerer tube dilemma.

the bike is looking good.
Thats a cool Idea, Right now its just what I can get done in such short time, I will be back Tuesday and hopefully be able to start finishing Wednesday.

looks sharp did you paint the underside of the fenders red? if so that is a cool idea

Latest posts

Back