Boardtracker / Antique motorcycle style bicycle build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful build, I see you've deleted the Ruff Skulls & Logo from the rear stays, looks nice and clean. I might do the same, not sure, not sure if I'd want to put something else back in there, maybe a lazer cut something. Maybe an old coin.
71DBahjxlmL._AC_SL1050_.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful build, I see you've deleted the Ruff Skulls & Logo from the rear stays, looks nice and clean. I might do the same, not sure, not sure if I'd want to put something else back in there, maybe a lazer cut something. Maybe an old coin.View attachment 190139
That is also a nice idea. Another thought I had:
Remove the thin 'bridge' part that remains as well, and leave it like that.
Or fill it with a sawn off piece of wood if it fits your build. In a way you can see the aging-rings.

So I did a ride yesterday:

Started eight-thirty in the morning. Still pretty cold. Due to limited space and good weather predictions I left my coat at home.

So what did I bring?
  • The same clothing as two years earlier when I was riding with my EmPo. Shorts, shirt, braces and a flat cap:
4RFnR1T.jpeg

• Tools to adjust the bottom bracket bearing, the chain and my seatpost + handlebars.
  • Spare inner tube and a small pump.
  • Sunscreen in a small tube.
  • Water and some bread.
  • My happy face :crazy:

The ride went really well. Like mentioned, a bit cold at the start.
I cycled to the first stop, 'farm museum Lebbenbrugge', where I ate some bread and re-tensioned my chain and bottom bracket bearing.
After that there was a beautiful gravel/sand path passing forest and old farmhouses.
Next stop was castle Vorden and its gardens/forests. Some paths here do not look like bicycles are allowed (more for hiking, due to their narrowness), but they are!
After Vorden the last bit to the historical trade city of Zutphen has started. This bit is along meadows and antique farm houses. Some farm houses are really old and show cracks in the walls and peeled of paint on their shutters. Just beautiful if you ask me!
The last kilometres to Zutphen is along the river "ijssel" with a vast field of reed to the wide river. Many old details (walls, mills) show at the small ports.

I can't describe the beauty of architecture of Zutphen. Interesting alternative culture as well.
If interested:
English Wiki on city of Zutphen

After an hour break and eating a sandwich I picked up the route back.
The first section is along the "Twenthekanaal" where mainland ships transport local goods.
Especially a part right before the town of 'Lochem' is very nice. With old hayshacks and hiking/cycling roads where no cars or tractors can get. Many wooden bridges serve as a way to cross between meadows full of farm animals and old forest.
The forests can grow old due to heritage houses and (rich) families living there. Big trees with long roots that grow towards creeks and ponds.

After the town of Lochem there is a road called "Slaapweg", litoral English translation it is the "Sleepyroad" which fits, because after around 80/90 kilometres I get kinda bum-sore and tired.
After this road there are no shops and stops anymore. Still a beautiful area, but less entertaining in a way.

There were some slight annoyances (for the balance next to all the fun) along this trip:
Man, almost 90% (or more) of other riders ride electric bikes, even very young people. In our flat country...
And road or race cyclists (racefietsers) are a bit of different culture here. They wave and say hello at each other, but absolutely refuse to greet other cyclists, even when you stand right in front of them or ask for help. Its just so weird or awkward. This keeps me from participating to ride in a club, they seem so arrogant or self-absorbed. Probably not all of them of course, but I am trying to wrap my head around that observation. I am not expressing (except for this text here) my judgment in public and always communicate with and open mind, but again, I can't wrap my head around it.

At least I got to overtake a lot of cyclists, so that's also a big win for me :grin:
This was a great trip, and just so happy with the bike! Next time I will try an other intersection-route.

Enjoy some pictures I made! Quality is not great, but good for an impression.

E1FER2u.jpeg

Qk5dy5T.jpeg

W0B6yaO.jpeg

4HMVYjK.jpeg

OLUcQTk.jpeg

y0FK1uT.jpeg

KidPbY9.jpeg

56SLJYz.jpeg

vNbely9.jpeg

4S3K4Pq.jpeg

q5WiHAp.jpeg

n5nd8y1.jpeg

SH2LrjY.jpeg

00BSI2t.jpeg

geWV9A8.jpeg

8eyDV7y.jpeg

fqpt4aG.jpeg

kf6YQbX.jpeg

SWBSvsJ.jpeg

ni9YElK.jpeg

VkupU0H.jpeg

tOdRceW.jpeg

IIgYTuh.jpeg

2DYbSyI.jpeg

JbvOtcJ.jpeg

1plvkia.jpeg

Strava details! The average speed includes walking/slow riding through the villages and stopping for pictures.

Thanks for watching!

Last edited:
This is golden 🚲✨
Thanks!

This bike is a keeper. Last week I mounted very old pedals. Fits very good compared to the black ruff cycles pedals which are more modern.
To do for the future:

Old style chainring, maybe even a fake skiptooth.

Striping/lining on the frame.

New candle!

Functioning rear light.

I didn’t get to read through every page of this thread but I did skim through it and it was very inspirational. Lovely photography and scenery as well.

As much as I have been posting here I haven’t really bothered about photography that much and it wouldn’t hurt me to do something artistic once in a while.

Thanks all of you!

So with my bottom bracket bearings failing (Odyssey Dynatron) I reassembled a proven reliable bearing set and mounted some older looking pedals. I say older looking but they have reflectors, so I am guessing they are from the late 60's or even newer.

I also mounted the "Cruzo Classic 26x3.0" tires that I first planned to use on my buildoff chopper, but they look absolutely stunning on this bicycle. The bicycle looks even older! Like a lady with white hair :grin:

I also fabricated some chain-to-tire protectors on the rear fender.

To do's:
Haven't found a pinstriper yet, maybe I will take a crack at it (and cheat, using tape).
Fabricate an (preferably) 44t old looking chainring, maybe fake skiptooth.
Maybe fit that old horn somewhere...

Enjoy the sunset pictures!

RsXxknK.jpeg

eg9QcBR.jpeg

Mh44dJo.jpeg

3X5FU8R.jpeg

sDQOn1L.jpeg

FHeAIkk.jpeg

jorhg6a.jpeg

fEIH2Dh.jpeg

uG4tM7D.jpeg

Y3Gn7WS.jpeg

utqgNIB.jpeg

GrN1D2w.jpeg

f9uR6hI.jpeg

Thanks guys, the love is appreciated!

I removed the bell on the stem and assembled a horn on the seatstays.
I aged the brackets a bit with heat and a cloth + a matte black spraycan.

xa4hojB.jpeg

Horn with a headlight bracket.

ARMTwgi.jpeg

After applying heat, it looks more matte.

cMfd44v.jpeg

Brass washers and electrical tape for frame paint protection.

PKUvhz5.jpeg

I like it, can't say if I love it. I'll take the bike outside soon and ponder on it.

The Darley-Havidson is looking pretty good. I think I might take my moped to a more boardtracker look, than cafe racer.

Also chrome is hard to paint, the colors are limited, but duplicolor makes a paint called Metalcast that's designed to cover chrome and alloys with a anodized look. Also you could always run a front drum, as to not mess with the fork too much. Probably fancy up a moped front drum and make it look more period... but board trackers didn't have brakes, so there's that, since the coaster is kinda a well hidden brake.

man that is a gorgeous bike! totally wish i had the space and creativity for something like this.
Thanks man! I can't judge on space, but everyone can do this or learn this. :cool:

36 Snyder built Hawthorne I put together several years ago.
Absolutely gorgeous, I love those tires and the vintage used look.

Latest posts

Back