Bobing scooter (can some one help me here).

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im 60yrs old. At a scool fate in primary I paid 2 cents to ride a bobing scooter. medial offset hubbed back wheel that was driven by bobbing up and down. The hub was offset like one side of rim, short spoke, hub, long spoke, other side of rim.
Would love to get a couple for the grand kids.
Any ideas lads?

The original is the Ingo bike from the 30s... collectible now.

271_3.jpg

Kangaroo Scooter, from ~70s up to the pandemic.
20170423_151151.jpg

download.jpeg

It looks like these might still be clearanced out ...maybe in parts?
Screenshot_20220122-214542.png

Whymcycle appears to have been a one man operation that lasted decades...custom built eccentric hub scooters of various sizes.
whymcyclesW.jpg

There have been eccentric laced wheels for crazy bikes built on RRB (@GuitarlCarl )...so your best option maybe to build your own with a little help from the members here.

Last edited:
The threads on spokes are typically drawn through a die. But you can do a reasonable job threading them by hand. For example I used 24" rims and spokes from a 20" wheel on one side (maybe only 4) and spokes from a 26" wheel on the opposite (again probably only 4 full length ones) in some places on each side the original 24" spokes worked but after that I cut down old spokes and threaded them by hand. With a 2-56 die, while not exactly the correct thread it does work very well with a heavy spoke and threads into the original nipples easily. The first one I did, I threaded them a bit long and after I tightened them thru the nipples, I ground them off on the inside with the edge of a cutting disc in my angle grinder. It was all a bit primitive but for a rat it was fine. Worked well enough to bend both seat posts in operation and the rims have since been mounted on an old full suspension bike. (which I can find no picture of...)
clownfails1.jpg

Carl.

Latest posts

Back