Boiled linseed oil on chrome

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will BLO stick to chrome fenders? I am working on a early 60"s Hawthorn women's cruiser a friend got for her 11th B Day. Gonna clean it, but try to keep the rusty patina.

clear spray paint will seal it up and keep it from getting worse but it will give the rust a glossy cover. Clear does come in a variety of finishes: crystal, gloss, matt, flat, lacquer, etc.. One key to using clear is don't use very much if you don't want it show. It's real easy to use too much. I've used clear on pitted chrome rims and I didn't like the results.

I usually use car wax (turtle wax) on all bike parts and frames but turtle wax dries kinda white on rust. You just can't get it to polish on rough surfaces.

I've car rehab shows where they just spray all kinds of clear over rusty body panels to try to halt the rusting process. it is a particular look that some like.

I've done BLO on chrome and wasn't happy with it. It leaves a yellowish film. If you're building a rat that could be a bonus but for pretty chrome, wax is the way.

Will BLO stick to chrome fenders? I am working on a early 60"s Hawthorn women's cruiser a friend got for her 11th B Day. Gonna clean it, but try to keep the rusty patina.
I would rather not try this on chrome... I myself don't care for rust on my chrome.. I use Turtle wax Chrome and Rust remover on mine.. Good luck...

Latest posts

Back