bombing betty build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello im new, and actually just stumbled on this site. i want to introduce myself, and the bike ive just started on. ive been moving pretty fast on it so here goes. this bike is inspired by ww2 bombers, and ive been finding as many ratted out old bike parts as i can. the frame is i believe a 1962 typhoon 20" frame i picked up form my friend. It was originally orange and in pretty rough shape. i dont have a pic of it but first thing i did was paint it. tryin to do somthing diffrent. fabricated a tank for it, but its not welded or anything, im husing modified hose clamps to fasten it to the frame. check it out and tell me what you think. this has been about 2 weeks in the making.

P3300753.jpg

P3300754.jpg

P3300752-1.jpg

P3300756.jpg

P3300757.jpg

painted frame, mock up, and assembly. most of this came together quickly because ive been using all sorts of odds and ends parts ive had sitting around. i was looking for the most rusty parts i could find.

P3300759.jpg

P3300760.jpg

first mock up
P3310765.jpg

P3310779.jpg

P3310771.jpg

played with some chain ideas:

DSC00451.jpg

DSC00450.jpg

chain wouldent work with a rider on the bike so i ditched this setup and ran it regular.

here is where it is at as of right now. got this awsome old chaingaurd for free. haha. was an awsoem find.

GEDC0006.jpg

GEDC0003-1.jpg

GEDC0002.jpg

GEDC0004.jpg

really liking this bike :D

actually ive been trying to figure out a way to use it. i picked up a smaller one at a swap meet not long ago. its about half as narrow and the same length. im trying to think of a cool way to mount it withought it looking like an after thought. :lol: also playin around with the idea of a fake parachute bag :?:

those rims...love em, looks like ur itching to weld too, sure beats zip ties. great look tho, ill be watching the progress for sure.

thanks for the support! its been commin along real well, kinda stuck on what to do next. trying to mount the ammo can, and decide on what kind of painted deatails. military style lettering seems a bit overdone for my taste. looks good but not what im looking for. i was thinking of either doing a pin-up girl with the name bombing betty done on the tank. or whether to do the classic shark face on both sides of the tank.... haha guess ill play around wiht these ideas for a bit. also got some old speedos, and all sorts of old car dials. im looking inot mounting them by the handle bar in sort of an airplane dash configuration...

pinup girl style bombers:
bombshell_Illustration.jpg

cLady_Eve_II.jpg

cLady_is_Fresh.jpg

shark design:
p40204.jpg

havent updated in a while so here we go. :D im liking the progress so far.
got some more paint work done, and added a few little things here and there. still not finished yet. got some other ideas to play with still

P6270942.jpg

CopyofP6270930.jpg

P6270936.jpg

P6270933.jpg

P6270938.jpg

That tank painting is awsome! the stance is perfect.

hey bud, please don't take this the wrong way, i really dig the build.

i have a tip that might be helpful. as cool as betty is, i think a black sharpie marker
is just what ya need to clean up the black outlines. :)
one way or the other, if ya decide to or not, its one rightous build.
ain't trying to take anything away from it, just thought it might be helpful
(i outline lots of my painted art in black marker, works real well and much easier than painting fine black lines.

thanks. no i agree some of the lines could use a bit of cleaning up. i used shaprie already but i dont think the paint was quite dry enough yet.so it got allitle gunky in places not so smooth. went over it again today looks alot cleaner. :D

Looking great, lots of original detail. One of the best Military builds I have seen.

Can't wait to seem more of "Bombing Betty".

thanks for the support guys :D im still toying with the idea of an old school parachute bag under the back of the seat. and possibly trying to factor in the ammo can somehow. and a few other little deatils.

chaunceysj said:
thanks. no i agree some of the lines could use a bit of cleaning up. i used shaprie already but i dont think the paint was quite dry enough yet.so it got allitle gunky in places not so smooth. went over it again today looks alot cleaner. :D

oh man, you got that impatient disease too!

i'm terrible at waiting for paint to dry. got a whole bunch of gunked up sharpie markers in my junk draw! :)

Latest posts

Back