Bonefish: The Beginnings

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an AMF "The Fast One" from 1969 with a color scheme similar to your idea. I have a Sears Screamer and a Murray Wildcat on my phone as well. Maybe the Huffy version as well, I will send if I do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211210-064912_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211210-064912_eBay.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 48
This is an AMF "The Fast One" from 1969 with a color scheme similar to your idea. I have a Sears Screamer and a Murray Wildcat on my phone as well. Maybe the Huffy version as well, I will send if I do.
That's not a AMF, nor is it the original paint. The ebay seller was mistaken if it was listed as such.
Murrays did come in some fly two tone paint jobs though.

That's not a AMF, nor is it the original paint. The ebay seller was mistaken if it was listed as such.
Murrays did come in some fly two tone paint jobs though.
The photo ended up on the wrong message. It is not the AMF I intended to show. I will be back in my extensive 1960s-1970s photo gallery and find the one I intended to put on this post, and I have to go to another forum to make sure I didn't post the wrong photo to that post. That was my error for the year. I thought this would be the year I went error free. We all have our dreams.
That being said, if you check your bicycle history, you may be surprised at how many of what we think are standalone brands produced bikes for other companies or had models produced by other companies.
I am 61 years old and have been building, restoring and riding these bikes since 1974. I rode some of these bikes when they were almost new.
The Huffy Daisy Daisy tandem is a prime example. Not on did Huffy build tandems for their own line but they also but an identical men's cantilever front /women's cruiser style rear seat tandem for Western Flyer. I used to own both models, and still have the Huffy with the Western Flyer chainguard. The Huffy was in much better condition, and I had already rebuilt it from a couple of exuberant young men who had decided to try their hand at the new Olympic bicycle sport known as Tandem Ramp Jumping. They had broken the chainguard off their grandfather's tandem and tossed it in the back yard never to be found again.
We all know Huffy, Murray and Western Flyer all built bikes for other companies and store brands. I actually have a Western Flyer The Fast One Ramshorn bike that was a former 5 speed that had been parted before I was able to buy and revive it. It is badged as a Westpoint, which was the line produced for True Value Hardware stores. Interesting to know the parent company that produced the Western Flyers was AMF, although Murray seems to get some credit for a couple models as well. Huffy and Murray also crossed paths, as well as made bicycles for Sears, J.C. Penney and some smaller department store brands. Schwinn even made bikes for over 100 different labels until the mid 1950s when they got tired of the box stored botching up service and warranty work on the bikes, whose head badges still said "Built By Schwinn". Ray, Burch, the new Vice President of Marketing, who was hired away from Whizzer during a lawsuit between the two over the use of the Cantilever frame Schwinn invented and jealously guarded their patent on.
I have an inclusive list of manufacturers who cross built bikes and the brands but it is stored right now with what is left of my bike museum I was building in the prior decade. With this conversation, I may attempt to pull it from my literature as soon as I can get to it. I will be back with the correct photo as well as my AMF/Western Flyer built Westpoint musclebike.
Thanks for the correction.
" I thought I was wrong once but I found I was mistaken".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211211-071501_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211211-071501_eBay.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20211211-071433_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211211-071433_eBay.jpg
    675.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20211211-071441_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211211-071441_eBay.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20211211-071447_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211211-071447_eBay.jpg
    651.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20211027-000221_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211027-000221_eBay.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20211027-000257_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211027-000257_eBay.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 45
I wanted to collab with you on one of the builds but didn't want to pull you away from yours. I'll be free after Feb 4.

didn't want to pull you away from yours
Not a major concern. I haven't looked at it in over a month. I was thinking about putting it back together just to get me back in the mood. Can't go much further without getting a fork. Need to set the stance. Looking into a lead on a small springer, but it is nebulous at best. Still need bars, seat, and sissy too. Might be able to fab something for the sissy

Can you show what springer you are looking for, or send a photo? I am sure someone here has something you can use.

Not an cheap thing, getting stuff into Canada. What I need is something for a 20" tire, 1" steerer, 5" long is what I removed.
IMG_20211203_141655756.jpg
IMG_20211203_141421619.jpg

Last week I was at a bike guy's place, picked up a free Schwinn rack, and he mentioned that he might have something, but it's buried in snow.

If the springer doesn't happen, I'd LOVE a 24" straight leg BMX fork, but will probably wind up settling for a 20" curved thing. Last, least wanted option would be a suspension fork from a junk kid MTB

Would a 20" lowrider style fork do anything for you? I believe I have one in the shed, it may need the spring and or yoke piece but those are easy and everywhere.

I do not at the moment but thought I would ask. Not my look on these bikes but I know a lot of guys disagree. We cannot all like the same thing.

Latest posts

Back