Bonefish: The Beginnings

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bizarre_joker_fish_terrify_waterfront_by_paul_art_d5yodkm-fullview.jpg

Should be enough here to finally put together a bike.
IMG_20220121_124919707.jpg

Seat, sissy and bars are new.The fork is still a maybe. If I can get the black house paint off, there's metallic green underneath. I've got something up my sleeve that might be even better if if fits.
Bonus fat:
IMG_20220121_124929622.jpg

Shiny new sprocket and mx bars, the cross bar is going on those mini apes

Yes his shelves are packed to the rafters, and therafters are packed with forks. He had one of those Raleigh locking forks, green like yours, key and all, but he wouldn't sell that. More stuff than I could look at, mostly because he was grumbling about the cold. I need to make a list of what I need for each bike for the next visit. I could get in trouble there.

He hooked me up with 40 hole rims once he didn't have them but he knew where to get to them. I've been wanting to get there he has a set of the balloon tires I need for my CCM motobike

Spent the afternoon in the Lab throwing things together, with varying degrees of success.
IMG_20220121_140100255.jpg

Flipped the post bracket to the front cuz I'm building for BIG BOYS. IMG_20220121_150053297.jpg
This is where it sits now. Trying to decide if this ring is right or too much for the rims
IMG_20220121_140207162.jpg

This was supposed to be the plan up front:
IMG_20220121_145253848.jpg

Unfortunately, that won't happen, stem is too small.
IMG_20220121_145307612.jpg

The black fork drops are too small for my axle, and the mystery fork's wedge bolt is seized. The front end is still up in the air
IMG_20220121_150029015.jpg

*that double kickstand hangs down too far in the upright position to use on a 20" bike. I'm just using it as a stand-in for now, cleaning up the weird axle mounted one that came on Bonefish.

And if you can't get the wedge out I have something at work that'll melt it right out of there

Lube it up good let it sit for 24 hours and use an air chisel with a punch head. A couple of blasts and it should move, once it moves you are almost home.

I understand man. I was a mechanic/custom car and bike builder since the early 1980s so I have piles of tools I can't even find when I need them but trip over on my way to the mailbox.
Guess I got used to having them so they come to mind first on any PITA project I get myself into.

No power tools in my shop, this will require the manual touch
You need power tools I have lots. I'd spray really good with CRC rust breaker it freezes the rust then makes it crack. Spray it get some cold roll steal from Canadian Tire stick it in there a smash it really good. Let me know if you need help.

I gave it a little heat shock. It has been outside all winter, -20 or so, and then I poured boiling water down the neck. Gave the bolt a few hammer taps, enough to bend it, but didn't budge. It's getting a penetrating oil soak now

Haha not with the amount of oil I've sprayed in there, might burn the house down. I have a heat gun I'll bring to bear later. I'm just getting started on it, haven't removed the brake yet, so I have not even hit it from underneath yet.

Latest posts

Back