BonniRocket ~ 1957 Monark Rocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I present for your review - BonniRocket:
P1015378.jpg

The build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=56390

Specs:
Frame - Monark Rocket, c. 1957
Fork - Monark double coil springer
Front wheel - Velocity Deep-V, 28H radial spoked
Rear Wheel - Velocity Aeroheat, 36H, 3-cross
Drivetrain - 46T Monark alloy chainring, Sturmey-Archer 8-speed hub, 25T cog
Brake - Sturmey Archer drum hub
Saddle - Gyes sprung road saddle
Tires: 700Cx23 front, 26x1.75 rear
Lights: Big Beam 164 headlight, Delta rocket tail lights (1W LEDs each)

I started with this frame:
P1014501.jpg

And this sketch:
rocket_2.jpg

The intent was to build something inspired by traditional land speed record roadsters. The name, of course, is a reference to Bonneville. The bodywork is a nod toward cleaning up the aero drag (and gave me something to paint graphics on), and the split screen windshield is reminicent of late pre-war Fords. The tool bag behind the saddle is intended to visually imply a drag chute. Beyond that, it's just intended to look fast.

I think I captured most of what I had in mind pretty well, with only a few details changed or omitted due to practicality reasons. I took over 200 pictures yesterday of the finished bike, in four locations, which I'll sort through over the course of the day and choose which ones to post. I hope you like it! :mrgreen:

Green P1 said:
I have no idea how this build escaped my view during the build portion... there's so much to like about it. My eye goes immediately to the lantern headlight and the brilliant placement of it. I've got the exact same light on one of my bikes... just not placed nearly as well! Bravo!!

Glad you like it :D

I went back and forth a bit on where to place that lamp and how to mount it. Originally, I was going to use the more common "bullit" shaped bike head lamps, one on either side. I wanted headlight placement that was similar to how hot rods often have them relocated, down low inboard of the wheel assembly.

I actually bought a second Big Beam to put one on either side, but decided after I had it that a pair would be too much for the front end, and elected to just use one of them. The other flashlight, I repaired and am actually using it...as a flashlight!

raggedjim said:
The amazing thing to me is you had a plan and it looks like the plan. Rg

The amazing thing to me is that I actually pulled it all off! There was a lot of things that went into this that I had to learn along the way. The wheels are the first pair that I've built. This has the first drum brake that I've used. I had to figure out how to mask, paint and pinstripe the scallops on the bodywork, and the grips are elk hide leather that I had to sew on. All in all, I've learned quite a bit while building this bike!

Location 4 - Hawks View

P1015556.jpg

P1015557.jpg

P1015559.jpg

P1015565.jpg

P1015570.jpg

P1015571.jpg

P1015572.jpg

P1015574.jpg

P1015575.jpg

P1015578.jpg

P1015579.jpg

P1015581.jpg

P1015582.jpg

P1015585.jpg

P1015587.jpg

P1015588.jpg

Alright, that's it. That's the last of the photos, unless I decided to use some of the other 150 that I took. But, if you can't tell what it looks like yet, you'll just have to come and see it yourself. 1966 Mustang convertible courtesy of Noel Barnes.

that stem is worth a small fortune isn't it? very nice.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
that stem is worth a small fortune isn't it? very nice.

I have no idea, really. The only markings I found on it where vague and hard to make out, so I don't know anything about its brand or age. I found it in a box of parts that came with a post-war Schwinn racing tandem that someone gave me. But it looked the part, so I used it. I might eventually put it on the tandem, but I don't know at this point...

I forgot one all-important picture. To prove that it's actually operable, here's a picture of me riding it:
P1015592.jpg

The thing is geared pretty tall. Even second gear was tough to get rolling in thick grass. And I can verify that steel toe clips and sandals don't mix. After I make some refinements to the brake, maybe I'll try getting out on the road and opening it up some...

She's a beauty dude!!!
It has been an honor to build with you this year!!!!
Now that I have seen how pic heavy you are, I don't feel so bad and may unleash the rest of my photos. :mrgreen:
BRAVO BRUDDERMAN!!!!!!!!
congRATs!

Latest posts

Back