bored wok

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok, corney name, but i've not enough imagination, and this bike will specifically be a boardwalk cruiser, so... i bought this columbia middleweight frame from a board member a few months ago and have been collecting parts for it since.
DSC03768.jpg

object is to build a lightweight bike that will handle well in traffic, yet move along on the open road. just started fitting it together, after searching online for a hub washer with limited success, i tryed the lbs, the sales girl put a mechanic on the phone - "yeah we've got those". so i rode on down to bicycle discovery, coincidently just off the board walk, and ask for a mechanic ( they've got several ) and happen to get the guy i talked to. "here ya go, how much? how about a buck?" great bike shop - service, inventory, prices if you're ever in pacific beach, san diego. we're pretty slow @ work, so i should make some good progress.
DSC03778.jpg

deorman said:
I'm using the same frame for my build off entry. Definitely very light for its time,(late 50's I think) but also very resilient and straight as an arrow. Any clue as to the exact year?

it was sold to me as a '58 hiway patrol. btw, your bike looks sharp, similar to style i'm going for, nice paint job, hope mine comes out like that. the rear hub fit with only minor stretching of frame, previous owner must have done that. really like the chrome bmx fork, but it seemed heavy compared to the original and the one from the donor bike, so i decided to find out.
DSC03803.jpg

DSC03805.jpg
tp://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww106/slrider/DSC03804.jpg[/IMG]
3 lb. 11 oz. for chrome bmx, 2 lb. 6 oz. for cruiser fork, 1 lb. 13 oz. for og. fork, quite a difference, i'm leaning toward cruiser fork.
DSC03806.jpg

got 3 pc. crankset from redline donor bike in garage. i can see the advantages of sealed bearing style vs. pyramid kit - there is no locknut for one side of shaft, loctite? the bearings are very open, might try to use an o-ring to help keep dirt out.
DSC03813.jpg

ok, finished up mock-up, ready for test drive. road real nice once i got shift cable adjustment right. might look for another crankset, as i found out these are only 6" crank length.
DSC03828.jpg

stripped down to prep, and looks like just 1 layer of paint over bare metal. should be an easy prep aside from a few rough spots.
DSC03925.jpg

btw, some really great builds going on here, makes me feel like a little kid, but i always had fun as a little kid :D

i think i'm gonna make it! had a little issue w/ paint on frame, but looks like i may pull of a save. may not get to clear coat though. while clear coating a test part, covers well, but when spraying one part, overspray gets where i've already painted and finish is no longer smooth there??? was gonna do green/purple, but that green and that purple didn't work, so green/black it is.
DSC03997.jpg

DSC03996.jpg

really looking forward to getting it together.

Latest posts

Back