(BOTEN) 1965 AMF/Roadmaster Skyrider -- Adios Mother!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dragging out this almost bare frame from American Machine & Foundry for my first foray into the world of Rat Rod Bike build-offs. Nothing spectacular, but the deadline will help keep me focused and should prove to be a lot of fun. If I manage to get one vote--other than my own--I will finish quite satisfied! Good luck to all competitors...it's going to be an anxious three months!

PICT0160_zpsfd780e7a.jpg

Wow... you're keen. Congratulations on being the first to start a build thread. :41:

That's a nice frame... looking forward to seeing progress. :)

Good luck and have fun :113:

Glen.

First horse out of the gate. Good luck.

You never know what you'll stumble upon at the co-op. I still kick myself for not grabbing this quirky piece of bicycle history for free. Yup, it really is a 9-speed radially-expanding chainring and crank. Weird.

NTradial_zpsgmgiohi0.jpg

Never heard of such a thing. Cool.

Have you started playing with that radial gear crank yet?

You never know what you'll stumble upon at the co-op. I still kick myself for not grabbing this quirky piece of bicycle history for free. Yup, it really is a 9-speed radially-expanding chainring and crank. Weird.

NTradial_zpsgmgiohi0.jpg

Just found you b/c of the build off map neighbor! What/where is this co-op you speak of??

I did get to play with that radial gear a bit, but it never functioned as smoothly as the video suggests. I was also a little suspect of the plastic construction.

The bike the ring was mounted on had been robbed of its chain tensioner, so I did what any self-respecting bike nut would do--I substituted a derailleur. The intent was to add a six-speed freewheel cluster rear and have the nine-speed at the front...54 combinations! It would have worked, too, but other projects beckoned.

Well, I made some progress but it's pretty clear this build won't even get off the ground in the time I have left. Discovered lots of pinholes in the tank after de-rusting, but I'll work all that out, eventually. A little bummed about the false start, but it isn't the first and I'm sure I'm in good company. Maybe next time.

Latest posts

Back