(BOTEN) "OUTLAW" ...Withdrawn from the build-off...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was not up to working today, so I did a mini-update instead:

Video 15!

Luke.

Keep plugging away my friend!!!! It is paying off. That fork is freaking epic!!!

Another mini-update...

My health is not so good, but we had some better weather, so I needed to accomplish something for the day...

Out came the grinder and a couple of cutting discs...

Trimmed down and tapered the leafspring helper leaves:

19848978205_1213c45aaf_z.jpg

Looking much neater now:

19228063683_f219c2f3f3_z.jpg

Then designed and cut the front rockers out of some 4mm plate (1/6th"):

19841571242_76c0ae54c2_z.jpg

This is how they will work with the current trailer rockers that are mocked up:

19853898131_37d0fecd44_z.jpg

Should provide plenty of leverage over that fairly stiff leaf spring, I just have to hope that being so long they don't try and twist sideways when turning, but the wide bushings should help with that...

Luke.

Can you take the other leaves out? Looks like one might be enough for a springer? I had to go back and find a pic of the fork to remember how the spring works.

17239856479_8b30daa308_z.jpg

You can fine tune the suspension aspect of it after it's a runner. Looks like the fork is moving along nicely.

That thing is going to be a bear to turn. The front wheel will be flopping all over the place.
Check the pivot angle in the videos and work out the rake and trail, you might be surprised... ;)
While any bike with forks this long and this much rake will always be compromised, all the calculations have been done to make it work as good as possible.

Luke.

Sorry everyone, I am officially pulling the plug on this bike in this build-off.

Today I got all dressed up in my overalls and welders jacket, kicked up the fire, fired up the welder ran four tacks on the rockers and sat down on my shop chair and remained there thinking until the late afternoon chill forced me to pack up.

I realised that I am not having fun with this build at the moment, it is a struggle to get myself outside and working in this weather and I am rushing things trying to get it done by the deadline, I am not liking the compromises I have made on the bike due to time restraints and the bike concept deserves better.

I think this has been coming for a while, and it is just the extra stresses that I am currently under that have brought it to a head. In some ways I probably burnt myself out by doing so much since I have been here, organising and taking part in 3-4 competitions a year even those in the middle of winter such as this one when with my health issues I really shouldn't be doing it, and those in the middle of summer when although my health is better I lose half my days to "Fire bans" and so end up with stupidly short deadlines...

I used to enjoy logging on to RRB first thing in the morning and checking it repeatedly during the day, now sometimes I don't bother to check in at all, I seem to have lost my sense of humour and react badly when someone makes a negative comment, thankfully I have been able to retract my responses before they became an issue, but this is not the way I want to be. Bikes are my hobby, my interest, and it should be fun and exciting, not stressful and painful...

I am going to put this build on hold for a while, and only work on it when I want to, my health is up to it and the weather is suitable, it may take quite some time, as I intend to go back and change some things to the way they should have been done in the first place, but I will keep you updated.

I still hope to jump into the Muscle Bike Build-Off come September 1st, I have a great idea in mind and that is a decent time of year for me to work outside, but aside from that I will just be plugging away on this build as the mood takes me.

I will probably only do one Build-Off a year from now on, it won't be the big annual "summer" build-off, it is just too cold here for me then, and it won't be the "winter" build-off for the reasons mentioned earlier, I will still run it and help moderate but the September-December bracket that the MBBO occupies is perfect for me, and I love muscle bikes... ;)

Sorry to all those following the build and looking forward to the finished bike being seen soon, thanks in advance for your support and understanding.

Luke.

Very easy to understand. The deadlines in these comps are a double edge sword. They really push us to get things done when we wouldn't other wise, but it's usually at a cost. Good luck moving forward.

When it stops being fun, what's the incentive? I just hope you will continue to chime in on our builds. It's tough enough building a bike from parts let alone scratching one together. Watching your builds have made my ideas expand. Peace and love, brother.

Carl.

Well we all do this for fun so if it's not then there is no sense forcing yourself. I don't think I would enjoy working on bikes in the winter too much. Time to relax! :thumbsup:
Very easy to understand. The deadlines in these comps are a double edge sword. They really push us to get things done when we wouldn't other wise, but it's usually at a cost. Good luck moving forward.
When it stops being fun, what's the incentive? I just hope you will continue to chime in on our builds. It's tough enough building a bike from parts let alone scratching one together. Watching your builds have made my ideas expand. Peace and love, brother.

Carl.
Thanks Guys!
I will still be here posting and looking at all your builds, trying to figure who to vote for, just not building myself, going to take the 6 weeks or thereabouts before the MBBO and just chill out as best I can!

Luke.

There comes a point in time where you have to take a look around and just ask yourself, why? Whether it be a hobby or a job. If you stop loving what you do,then it's time to step back a bit.
You've had a lot of stuff going on lately,so I don't blame you at all. Relax as much as you can and we'll see you in another build.

Sorry to hear of your plight. I was looking forward to seeing your finished bike. Understandably the Southern Hemisphere weather works against you this time of the year. The bottom line is that your health needs to come first over a bicycle. Take care Luke and live to build and ride another day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are definitely doing the right thing my friend.

#1, it's the best thing for your health and well being.

Next it's best for Outlaw since this sick design deserves to be done to your usual high standards and not compromised.

And third, this is best for the RRB community. We need you around. I want to personally thank you for all that you have contributed to this forum over the past few years. It's not just the wonderfully creative builds you put on here. It's the personal management of all of the extra Build Offs. It's the support that you have shown to any and all members.

You have set a rigorous pace for yourself since you joined us. It's surprised me that you have been able to keep it up. Step back, chill, pace yourself, and get your mojo working.
Wishing you nothing but the best buddy!

No worries, the important thing is your health, the work you put into these builds is nothing but AMAZING!!, with that said your bike is well worth the wait. Looking forward to your future posts. Be well my friend.

Latest posts

Back