BOTEN - The Scrapper

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Reaction score
Nice! Looks like you are integrating a rack similar to a columbia firebolt? The frame design looks awesome btw
TY, and yes, I'm planning an integrated rack, though I didn't specifically imitate the Firebolt. Now that I look at them, the idea may have slipped into my brain... I looked at a LOT of bikes in the days leading up to laying out the steel. It was part "what do I want to do?" and part "what can I do with what I have?" Due to material lengths I'll have to form it a little differently, but having hints of Firebolt in the design is a very good thing indeed!

Reaction score
The downtubes are fitted and welded. This was the hardest part. Literally. The tubes are 4130 Chromoly! :grin:
I didn't get as much "S" bend as it looked like before, but I'm happy with how it turned out. Still some cleanup grinding/welding/grinding to do before the crossbars and rack, but moving along!
2015-07-14.jpg

2015-07-14.jpg

2015-07-14.jpg

2015-07-14.jpg

2015-07-14.jpg

Reaction score
Interesting design with the round twin down tubes juxtaposed to the square and rectangular tubing. Is there going to be a seat tube?

Design by necessity! All from bits on hand.

The frame will come from assorted steel SCRAP, or maybe 'leftovers' is a better word: 3/4" round 4130, 3/4" square mild, 1/2" round mild, and some 1/2"x 1" rectangle.

Scrap%2Bplans.jpg

The plan, as it stands, is to have the 1/2" tube be twin cross bars (Yellow) and twin up-tubes, or whatever, in front of the rear wheel, flowing into the rack.
The seat will be bobber-style with a hinge horizontal from the spine and a shock/spring down to the top of the rear triangle. (Green)
* all plans subject to change without notice! : )

Reaction score
Thanks Luke.

Here's today's work: the rack stays. I need to double check there's not a chain line interference. Thought of it not long after the last weld, sittin' back admiring my work, then "well shoot, I hope that's not a problem!" We'll see.

2015-07-18.jpg

2015-07-18.jpg

2015-07-18.jpg

Reaction score
Well, it's a close thing, but it looks like I'll be ok. Here I used a 1/4" rod from the smaller front cog to between the 2nd & 3rd rear cog, and seem to have a 1/4" gap. I think the bottom bracket will hold the cranks out a bit further even, but will have to clean up the threads first to test. Later for that. I might eventually go with an internal hub anyway, so single cog and forget it.
2015-07-19.jpg

Reaction score
She's got a nice rack! :cool2:

3/8" rod fits nicely into the 1/2" tube for a weld plug. Plus, just to add to the menagerie of materials that make this monstrosity... the rear rack supports are 3/8" stainless tubes.
2015-07-19.jpg

2015-07-19.jpg

2015-07-19.jpg

I think this just about completes the frame. Plenty of tabs and stops to add, the small stuff, and all the bike-type stuff. Glad July has 31 days!

Reaction score
Slowed down a bit these last few days. I have reamed & faced the headtube & pressed the cups so I have a fully functional stem and fork. Also, cleaned up the threads in the BB shell, now to decide which BB to use/clean/refurbish. Lots to do to beat the buzzer on this one, for sure. The front wheel needs new bearings, they're a little too crunchy at the moment. I need to fabricate the seat mount. I have the tabs to weld to the rack that the deck will attach to, which needs cut/sanded/finished. Oh yeah, will I paint, powdercoat, or leave 'scrappy-looking' the frame itself? Cable stops. Looking around the shop and finding a depressing lack of handlebars... Ho-hum. Pressing onward as though I will finish on-time and under-budget. Even if I don't cross the finish line, I've managed to build a frame in my spare time in under 30 days! Quite happy I joined BOTEN! :happy:

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Reaction score
Catching up on this build.
You've got a lot of great work done.
Frame is awesome!!!

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you. I'll get it finished eventually. This was a bit of a distraction for me while I was frustrated with a recumbent project and needed a break. I'm back on that one now, the break did me good. Thanks BOTEN!

Stay tuned, but don't get too anxious.

Latest posts