Bottrop Kustom Kulture ***PRO-VIDEO ADDED!*** june17th

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0_bottrop_2010.jpg

Friday June 4th 2010. A hot (almost) summers' day. Perfect outdoor carshow weather. Me, my brother and a friend of mine, Ger, took the trip across the border last friday to Bottrop Kirchhellen - Germany. The drive was okay dispite of a 45 minute trafficjam in the hot sun... We did ran into the Rotterdam-chapter of The Scrapers:

31_bottrop_2010.jpg

33_bottrop_2010.jpg

30_bottrop_2010.jpg

29_bottrop_2010.jpg

27_bottrop_2010.jpg

26_bottrop_2010.jpg

28_bottrop_2010.jpg

The Kustom Kulture show was great. Cool cars, GREAT art, fun people, sun, and cool drinks. But I'll let the pics speak for themselves...

1_bottrop_2010.jpg

2_bottrop_2010_1.jpg

2_bottrop_2010_2.jpg

3_bottrop_2010.jpg

4_bottrop_2010.jpg

5_bottrop_2010.jpg

6_bottrop_2010_1.jpg

6_bottrop_2010_2.jpg

7_bottrop_2010.jpg

8_bottrop_2010.jpg

9_bottrop_2010.jpg

10_bottrop_2010_1.jpg

10_bottrop_2010_2.jpg

10_bottrop_2010_3.jpg

11_bottrop_2010.jpg

12_bottrop_2010.jpg

13_bottrop_2010.jpg

13_bottrop_2010_1.jpg

14_bottrop_2010.jpg

15_bottrop_2010.jpg

16_bottrop_2010_1.jpg

17_bottrop_2010_1_2.jpg

17_bottrop_2010_1.jpg

17_bottrop_2010_2.jpg

^ I came across the KORERO BOOKS stand and the publisher let me browse through a copy of KUSTOM GRAPHICS II, featuring the fantastic art of yours truly! :) Looking good! Comes out in a few weeks, and is ofcourse highly recommended ;-)

18_bottrop_2010.jpg

19_bottrop_2010.jpg

20_bottrop_2010.jpg

21_bottrop_2010.jpg

22_bottrop_2010.jpg

23_bottrop_2010.jpg

24_bottrop_2010.jpg

25_bottrop_2010.jpg

Too bad we could only visit the show on friday, and not on saturday with the biggest attraction:
The 1/8 mile Hotrod races...

EDIT:
Finaly found some decent videos!
Schnusenbaum's video has been removed frome Youtube, but I've added Mk1cabriokor's 'part 2'

Mk1cabriokor's video is nicely put together.

video1_bottrop_2010.jpg

CLICK HERE TO PLAY VIDEO ON YOUTUBE >

video2_bottrop_2010.jpg

Pixelgarage's video.
If you wanna know what Botropp Kustom Kulture is all about: THIS is THE VIDEO to watch.
From Pixelgarage it's professionaly shot, but cut down because it seems to be 'just a television preview'. Just ignore that strange language. It's not mine either...
;-)
Enjoy:

video4_bottrop_2010.jpg

Re: Bottrop Kustom Kulture (June 4th 2010. Germany)

that striping is unreal :shock: . ive seen that guy on the lounge but i forget his name. great pics. ill keep an eye out for that book!

Great pics, thanks for sharing 8)

Just curious, because I didn't see any overview: how big is this happening ?
Would like to go there next year, but it's a bit more travel from where I live.
Want to make sure it's worth it :wink:

deorman said:
Sweet side valve. 8) When they call this a hot rod, they're not kidding!

yeah... That black Ford was such a sleeper. It looked more like a mild custom than a hotrod. Really a wolf in sheepsclothing, with its authentic wheels and full fenderskirts... All that chrome on such a nostalgic racemotor.. awesome.

thesuicideride said:
that striping is unreal :shock: . ive seen that guy on the lounge but i forget his name. great pics. ill keep an eye out for that book!

One arm Bandit. He's a nice guy with incredible skils... His stripingwork is the most inovative I came across in years. Great designs, really well balanced. Not the 'copy of a copy of a copy of a copy'-striper you see nowadays. His work is highly originall.

What's 'the lounge'?

Ace said:
Great pics, thanks for sharing 8)

Just curious, because I didn't see any overview: how big is this happening ?
Would like to go there next year, but it's a bit more travel from where I live.
Want to make sure it's worth it :wink:

Your welcome.
Well, it's kinda the place to be to see some real hotrod-action. Not only driving around on the field but real foot-on-the-floor 1/8-mile racing! Very nostalgic with a Pin-up handling the startingflag. I must say it wasn't as big as I thought it would be though, but that's because I was used to the much bigger UK hotrod-events like the NSRA- and the NASC-Nationals. But it's still pretty big. There is a pretty big market with lots of goodies. I really like the art-tent. They always manage to get the best of the best artists from all over the world. Great to get your original artpieces from the guys themselves. I've only visited the Bottrop show two times and both were on Fridays. But Saturday is the most important day with a lot of cars and a lot of visitors. Saturday is also the only day for the races. Friday the landingstrip is being used for, well... landing. There is a campsite.

The only thing I'm disapointed about was the lack of bicycles. I've counted not more then 10...

I don't know were you live but from Eindhoven it's an hour and a half drive.
More info at: http://www.bottropkustomkulture.com/news_en.html

Cool Pic's

Herr Rudolf,
It was a nice day, we only went on friday too, I saw pic's of saturday, more bikes.

Looking forward to get a copy of "kustom graphics 2", again some nice artists in there.

badmuller said:
Cool Pic's
Herr Rudolf, It was a nice day, we only went on friday too, I saw pic's of saturday, more bikes.
Looking forward to get a copy of "kustom graphics 2", again some nice artists in there.

Darn... I didn't meet too many other Dutchmen. Just before we headed home I did ran into Johan 'XTRA'. True, more bicycles on saturday, but also A LOT more cars. And people. But I thought the Friday was just fine. Not overcrowded and still a lot to see for one day.

thesuicideride said:
pinheadlounge.com, it truely is a pinheads lounge :D . where can i score kustom graphics II?

Ah ofcourse, thanks for reminding me. Haven't visited that site for ages...
You can get Kustom Graphics II right from the publisher KORERO BOOKS once it's published (just a few weeks...), but you can also order from all the major online-shops like Amazon.

http://www.korerobooks.co.uk/future.html#

badmuller said:
Haha funny,
We took Johan a.k.a. Xtra with us inthe back of our tiny fiat seicento to Bottrop.
Friday was the best, like u said.

No way...

shoot! It didn't occur to me to ask about his travelling compagnions at the end of the day... I assumed that he had just arrived and would spend the night on the campingsite...
8-S

So it was just you, miss j, and Johan?

herr_rudolf said:
badmuller said:
Haha funny,
We took Johan a.k.a. Xtra with us inthe back of our tiny fiat seicento to Bottrop.
Friday was the best, like u said.

No way...

shoot! It didn't occur to me to ask about his travelling compagnions at the end of the day... I assumed that he had just arrived and would spend the night on the campingsite...
8-S

So it was just you, miss j, and Johan?

Yep, hey did you see that booth with Dwayne Vance, and did you get the book or did you already have that?

badmuller said:
Yep, hey did you see that booth with Dwayne Vance, and did you get the book or did you already have that?

Ofcourse! We had a little chat. I think Dwayne's work is amazing. All digital isn't it? I recognized his work from the H.A.M.B...

With 'the book', you mean Kustom Kulture II?
I don't have it yet. The publisher had just one copy fresh out of a plane from Singapore (If I remember correctly). The copies meant for distribution are beinig shipped as we speak and should be available within a few weeks. I hope... Cause I've read somewhere that the date of publishing will be on September 1st.... I can't wait that long...

Do you have Kustom Kulture I?
I highly reccomend it also! I bought it at the show and I'm amazed at the quallity of the featured artists. I'm so proud to have a chapter of my own in the successor...

Withe "the book" I mean "The Hot Rot Art book(Masters of chickenscratch)" by Dwayne Vance.
there's other artists art in there aswel but mostley Dwayne's.
if you want an impression of what it's like go here: http://www.mastersofchickenscratch.com/hotrodartbook
Some classic design, some almost scifi, dieselpunk fans must see!

We got Kustom graphics 1 and waiting for 2 to be released we had a talk about that aswel at bottrop with those guy's that where selling all those nice book's, we saw your art in there.
we bought "pinstripe planet 2" (editor=herb martinez), and a copy of "wildsville-the art of Derek Yaniger".
We need a bigger house soon, also got 3 bikes in the livingroom(that isn't too big already).

ah thanks...
No... I don't have Dwayne's book. Too bad I didn't take a look either.. But then again I probably ended up wanting to buy it, as I want to buy everything that I like... There is just sooo much nowadays.
Good choice by the way. If I had spend more money that Friday I would've bought PSPlanet and the Yaniger book as well.

Haha, yup... Next to money, space in my bookcase is also limited...
3 bikes in the livingroom isn't that bad. You could sit on it watching tv when your eating your dinner, no..?
;-)

32_bottrop_2010.jpg

I've just added some new pics that I made with my friends' camera. I just received them and put them up in the first post of this thread. These are some of the Scrapers CC we ran into when we were suffering a trafficjam...

Re: Bottrop Kustom Kulture (June 4th 2010. Germany) NEW PICS!

as always thanks for posting those and GREAT pics :mrgreen:
that gold t is amazing!!! and theres something wrong with one of the pics......theres an unchopped but channeled a :shock: (i guess it came from the east coast :shock: )
thanks again!
*edit i stand corrected! theres 2 unchopped a's :shock: *

Nah... paranoid as I am, I'd like to think both model A's are unchopped just to show-off an original all-steel ride. That darn traditionalists! :wink: (never came across a glass model A that wasn't chopped...)

Eastcoast, Westcoast... I don't think Germany even has a coast... Maybe Northcoast? East-side of the wall? Nope, the wall is gone too...
:wink:

You have to understand that Hotroding in europe is alway's some sort of comprimis.
Due to strict laws its very difficult to get a 100% streetlegal rod,
For example, you are not allowed to change the wheelbase of your car so no stretching and that sort of stuff.
you are not allowed to have no fenders, so thats why some euro rods have the awkward looking ones mostly they are something fabricated fast/simple and easy removable( on a parkinglot 200 meters before entering a show ground).
There are some countries that have slightly different rules(look at it as the States of USA)But thats being leveled out more and more, as europe is getting to be a sort of "United States of Europe".
You are not allowed to replace your engine with more or less cylinders, can go bigger ci though.
You gotta have turnsignals.
any changes have to be aproved by the rdw(dmv) and they are no fan of rodders.
(could be depending on wich mecanic is going over your vehicle sometimes, so gotta have some luck there).
I knew of a rod that got swapped vin tags to bend the rules a bit. :lol:

To get back to Bottrop kustom kulture it shows some of the best rods and customs that been build in Germany, Netherlands, belgium, U.K. and surrounding countries,i think hotroding has gained a lot of populairity the last 10 years,
And is gaining a lot of quality builds more and more. i hope this will continue a lot more.

the german coastline is almost as long as ours(the dutch), they have a piece on the northsea and a piece on the eastsea way up north(can't figure out why they come over to our beaches in the summer every year. :lol: ).

True!
But there ARE ways to... ehm... 'sail around' those rules and restrictions in a sort of semi-legal way. Knowing the right people is a must. Knowing people that know people at the RDW(vehicleinspection) is a good way to start... I don't know too much about it but do know that rules change every now and then. A friend of mine who's driving a fenderless '32 roadster(glassfibre) told me it's a bit easier nowadays to get a highboy on the road than 20 years ago. He also told me it's much more difficult to get a fenderless commercial vehicle on the road (pick-ups) because of different rules... But see that as just rumors.

I think buying a rod that is allready on the road somewhere in europe is the way to go rather than to start from scratch. I think that is almost impossible. Or do as Henry van Uden did and build a traditional rod with a flathead fourbanger... (I know nothing... Nothing beats the rumble of a healthy V8...)

I can't help thinking about the Australian rodders. Those rules over there must be stricter than in Europe. I've never seen a 100% fenderless highboy over there. Even on showgrounds...

Because of these rules I grew up thinking and dreaming about European 'rods and customs' like fenderless VW Beetles. But they only seem to nail the look with a stretched wheelbase... An altered wheelbase is suposed to be illegal. But then, what about VW Beachbuggies..? They are legal, right? Though they run on a shortened chassis...

Speaking about rules...
Have you ever read the rules a cyclist has to live by just to have a roadlegal bicycle...? :shock:

badmuller said:
To get back to Bottrop kustom kulture it shows some of the best rods and customs that been build in Germany, Netherlands, belgium, U.K. and surrounding countries,i think hotroding has gained a lot of populairity the last 10 years,
And is gaining a lot of quality builds more and more. i hope this will continue a lot more.

the german coastline is almost as long as ours(the dutch), they have a piece on the northsea and a piece on the eastsea way up north(can't figure out why they come over to our beaches in the summer every year. :lol: ).

Yes, there have never been build and driven more quallity rods in Europe than nowadays. But that also goes for the badly build ratrods that came out of nowhere and still seem to be gaining in popularity... That scares me a bit. I hope those guys, ahem... mature soon, and improve their builds. Rust is fun, bad welds is not... I used to like ratrods, but only for their creativity though. I miss that sometimes in traditional hotrodding. I miss the vision of Ed Roth when it comes to creativity.

Latest posts

Back