British Steel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings All, I am a returning builder who forgot his password and had his old email account hacked. Last year I built the Ratcumbent. Anyways, this year I am going to finally overhaul a chrome Raleigh Sports I bought 5 years ago and it was shipped to me in a box. I plan to use the wheels from a newer green Sports that I have to utilize its coaster brake. The shifter cable will be the only cable. When it is done, I will not only ride it, I will also be putting it on a vintage bumper rack on a vintage British Car that I am restoring. A 1966 Hillman Super Minx Saloon. And Yes, Im a long time Judas Priest fan
507DDE3C-8E07-42CF-9845-23B8FC49247E.jpeg

Welcome back. I never even knew that a chrome Raleigh Sport existed. This should be cool!

Welcome back. I never even knew that a chrome Raleigh Sport existed. This should be cool!
Most Raleighs came in chrome to go on display in dealer windows. Most would sell them off when the bike was discontinued. The bike and car are both 1966. The wheelset with the coaster brake is from 74. The original wheels are too pitted to restore so a modified version will be made. I will use the bars, stem, seat post and crank set from the 74 since the chrome is in better shape and polishing everything should come out nice. And then I will save the remaining parts for a rat rod Raleigh project for next year

I picked up new tires, tubes and rim strips and a friend rebuilt the hubs and trued the wheels for me. They spin nicely but theres a lot of crust on the spokes. I tried cleaning them and its going to be a lot of work. Its not that I dont want to spend the time to do it, its that I do not have the time. Im working 60 + hours a week right now so I think Im going to focus on the frameset and fenders And other parts. If I have the time to clean the wheels, I will, otherwise I will buy a new set. My friend that rebuilt these wheels said the hoops on the freewheel set can not be trued. Both are damaged And I will be needing a set for one of these bikes anyways
329E40C2-C2C4-4E02-B8A4-BE630A2B5770.jpeg
A167DF3B-7CDC-4849-9CCE-18E0393BD75E.jpeg

sorry, this is a little off subject but a bike I love and this weeks bike time went into getting this ready to go back into service. Before Covid, I worked as a full time ride mechanic at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. I was furloughed last March and found an amazing job for a chemical company 4 miles from home that I commute to by bicycle most days. This was my bike for getting around the boardwalk carrying tools and small parts. Since the boardwalk reopened early april, I have been working weekends as a ride operator to help open the park as they are so under staffed. This weekend I will be returning to the maintenance department and using my trusty Raleigh Folder for getting around. It is the most ideal size for maneuvering, getting through doors, and the gearing has been changed so it can climb the ramp out of the basement. I will get back to working on the Sports as time allows next week.

5F19F6CF-04C9-4147-AB8A-F6E778487525.jpeg
D54B7A3C-0E75-433C-AABE-35F12A043B6B.jpeg
172AC161-61D3-40AC-841B-7E0DCED03650.jpeg

I'm curious about that Matchbox holder/display thingy on the door.

thats a Hot Wheels hanger I found at a garage sale about 15 years ago. Top row is hollywood vehicles and then mostly VW's and Porsches. I think Im close to 100 VW's. All have been found at local stores. I have not bought any on line. So its always my little treat when I go to Target or Safeway and find one
75952F50-1DA0-4BDC-889F-3622BCE95973.jpeg

that's neat. I would like to have one of those. I'm running out of display options, so I've cut way back on purchases. I buy off-brand diecasts mostly and customize them.

Hello all, I have been very busy working. The average person works 80 hours every two weeks. Right now, Im at 116 and there are three days left this pay period. Kinda going for a record. Whats good about it is that ive been paying a lot of things off the last few months and going to be taking a lot of time off. All I can say that Ive done for the bike is find a few parts while digging through my stash to give some parts to some coworkers. Im giving away all of my racks, some wheels, bells, baskets, and some seats. While looking for stuff to supply the Boardwalk Bike Gang, I found a honey brown Brooks Professional seat, all 46 bearings for the headset, and a brand new in the box Lucas odometer to go on the front hub. Stuff is all over the garage at the moment. I will post some pics after I get this pile of donations out of here sunday when I cruise the green machine around the amusement park. Stay tuned, this is gonna be a sweet ride. Oh yeah, I found a couple cans of nevr dull. Its what we use at the boardwalk to polish the brass on the cave train. After the park is open and all rides are checked. I spend my time polishing whichever train is parked in the basement. People want to see a nice shiny train. They have both been sitting for a year and have tarnished. I do one little spot at a time
6B0B90F7-5D6C-4898-8331-14586C4CE42B.jpeg

Oh yes, the ever-present tap-tap-tap of the odometer, I remember it well - and then the moment when it clicks back over to 0000-0 that you look forward to for so long and then miss ;)

The 'train gig' sounds cool! There's a big park in Gilbert, AZ with a similar looking / sounding set up. The ride on the train is always a fun one, especially when kids visit.
Looking forward to your updates once you land some free time. Don't forget to 'stop and smell the roses' !

Hi All, I promised some pics after a busy two week period was over and here they are. After breaking an all time record of working 132 hours in two weeks, I slept most of yesterday and drank beer the rest of it. Today after work, I dug out the frameset and some parts. I polished the frame two years ago and it still looks great. Very dusty and should clean up great with minimal polishing
D464AC63-03A0-4381-81F6-E35F94FF1B6B.jpeg

Latest posts

Back