BROKEN, BEAT AND SCARRED.... "SPEED KING" ***TEASER SHOT 8/1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The basis for my entry is a well worn 40's era "Speed King" badged Cleveland Welding frame, a set of rusty silver painted rims from a CWC, an Elgin fork mixed with a single spring Monark springer. Gonna be hot rod themed all the way.

Gonna be a lot of work......

Re: BROKEN, BEAT AND SCARRED.... "SPEED KING"

Glad to see you and another CWC in this build. I cooked my motherboard so it's going to be a couple weeks till I start my thread here but I've been collecting CWC parts for the last year and figured it's time to actually build one. Have fun. Robert

another CWC in the mix! i think itd be cool to do that bike up in the grass green house paint color it currently wears.

I love these frames. I own several myself. Robert...I've got a tank for that straight bar frame of yours :mrgreen: No tank on mine for this build.

I should have really been working on mine this weekend. I sold all of my riders so I've been doing that this weekend :mrgreen:

Feeling guilty, I did spend some time today stripping wheel sets to get a few usable rims. Had to strip down 6 different rims to get some acceptable ones......building with vintage parts has it's challenges doesn't it? Also shot a few photos of some of the other stuff going on it.
Hope to get started on the fork setup tomorrow.

30's Shelby sprocket, dog leg crank and guard (undecided on the guard)

50's Worksman heavy duty front drum off of a 3 wheeler that was given to me.

Delta Superlite.

awesome collection o parts, but what about a seat, bars, an some rubber? :D

Can't wait to see it :D

stretch said:
what about a seat, bars, an some rubber? :D
Man you think of everything.......thanks :wink: I have the seat already but I'm undecided on my tire/rim combo. That will dictate which seat and bars I use. Bars will be either be drag style, moon bars (I have a soft spot for these) or maybe some stuff welded up. Got a set with some cool bends that need to stretch back a little further.

i say blackwalls with grass green rims, black spokes, chrome nipples, and black hubs. :D

SimpleMan said:
building with vintage parts has it's challenges doesn't it?
Boy you said a mouthful...If I was reading between the lines it might read like this.......
!@@!$@%!*!*&!%^!#$ Doggone rusty knuckle bustin rickem rackem rims :mrgreen:
If it was easy then it wouldn't be near as much fun....Right :?: :wink:

:shock: Wow :!:

i say go chaingard less that sprocket is a nice one and it's got to be seen no fenders the fork set up will look great nice combo of vintage part's neverless that head light Wow cant wait to see the mock up on it great selection on good's :)

go on please show some more pick's :!:

later mike :wink:

Finally got to the build-off bike...Mothers Day, so not a lot got done. While waiting on my wife to get ready I spent a little time on it. Rethreaded the Elgin fork (still needs cut to length) to fit the frame. Recontoured the Monark springer to fit the curve of the Elgin fork. Chopped up a prewar CWC fender for the rear (still need to trim the front to size). I like the basic look....long ways to go though :mrgreen:

Picked up another set of rims cheap.....gives me a 3rd option. Not sure which ones will go on it yet!

Re: BROKEN, BEAT AND SCARRED.... "SPEED KING" 5/9

Mock up for a few sheet metal pieces. The tank plate will be just a flat filler piece and the oil tank will actually be hollow like a real tank. Should have these pieces done this week. Just need to finish my templates and get it transfered to steel.

...............and in case anyone is wondering! This is my inspiration so you get a feel for it :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XPnKWJNs_g

It is looking sweet. thanks again Jeff for meeting up with me yesterday and pulling you away from this build. are you going to have it done for the ride on the 12th. :D

I had a great time hanging out with Oz and yourself. I might have it done in an unfinished ridable stage.

npence said:
It is looking sweet. thanks again Jeff for meeting up with me yesterday and pulling you away from this build. are you going to have it done for the ride on the 12th. :D

Got the oil tank templates done. I'll start on the steel tomorrow....it will all be bolt on :mrgreen:

That bobbed fender flows so nice into the tank thats gona be sharp!

Jeff, that is looking real good custom fab. it's got it goin on :!: ,cant wait to see more pics.

great job :!:

Latest posts

Back