Build Off 17 Highlight Thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Wildcat is engineering a new drive system for Scurf
drivetrain mock1.jpg

Throwing sparxxx too!
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/scurf.115706/page-4#post-1212324

Ok, I know we are not supposed to post our own stuff (technically it isn't mine, but I was involved) here, but I do nevertheless to highlight a general highlight for me in EVERY build off so far:
It's how we all help to improve each other's build by tossing around crazy ideas!
One fine example happened today in @Wildcat s build:
Why not mount a break handle as low as possible to the seat bar, grip pointing up, then hinge a plate or similar to the board in a way that the upper edge presses on to the breaklever, when you apply pressure on the plate?
Seems to be plenty of room for that...

Can you draw a pic of that, or show something similar? Is right here what you were talking about?
View attachment 194567

I could also do the fender brake like I've seen on small kid's scooters. It hinges and contacts the tire, using friction on the tire as a brake.

View attachment 194568

Here's a very ruff sketch. I hope you can see what I mean...
View attachment 194569

I think I get the idea. I see you went to the same computer graphics school as me! Small world. :rofl:

View attachment 194570
With the drive bar running along the side, I think that will take too much engineering prowess on my part. But looking at it gave me an idea.
The fender brake like the kid's scooters would be difficult, it's a 26" tire and I would need to raise up to depress it with my foot. But if it was below the frame I could just push down on a pedal and it would contact the tire underneath. Then a spring would return it back to position. The brake pedals would be at the very end of the board and be activated by either foot. I can use a heavy fender made for a motorcycle.

View attachment 194571

I like the 'fender brake' idea! If you wanted a little more wood on the build, you could have the top side a 1/8"ld plywood or luan laminated to a bent steel spring plate that would be the actual braking surface.

Sounds good.
To be continued...!

@marshall hudson putting the goods on display!
View attachment 194710View attachment 194712
Classy bits, but then...View attachment 194711
ka-POW! I think they're hubcaps, but I have never seen anything like them before!
And they're going on a CWC frame... Mark my words, this one will be deadly!
Yes, they are hubcaps or axle caps to be tekky.
Popular on Post WW2 and available in chrome as well.
I was thinking on a chrome set myself but I have already loaded the bike down monetarily so they went down the list some.
Glad to see someone else finding and using them.
Rob

View attachment 194662
That's highlight worthy. I guess bikes too

20220526_095932.jpg

Not trying to toot my own horn here .🎺
I just wanted to show the results of my one handed death defying gratuitous grinder selfie.
Except I didn't take the selfie then. I was too busy trying to find a way to get my rapidly dwindling blood back into my body so I didn't bleed out in front of my 9 year old grandson.
So you all will have to make do with my post operation One Handed Selfie.
I severed the Vein, the Extensor Tendon to my thumb and my Radial Nerve.
I still had to finish cutting and soldering fittings for my son so he could get the bathtub in his house. They had been driving to his Mother in Law's house every day to take showers.
With five children and a wife.
Then my son who doubled as an EMT took me to the hospital. They complimented him on the professional looking tourniquet.
He was pissed at me for not going immediately. Then I reminded him he was an EMT and should patch me up and let me refuse treatment temporarily so he did.
Emergency surgery the next morning made me the man I am today.
Good thing I was not holding the pipe between my knees or I would be Half the Man I Used to be. 🎼🎶🎵

Ok, I know we are not supposed to post our own stuff (technically it isn't mine, but I was involved) here, but I do nevertheless to highlight a general highlight for me in EVERY build off so far:
It's how we all help to improve each other's build by tossing around crazy ideas!
One fine example happened today in @Wildcat s build:

To be continued...!
You could also warp a 1x4 sliced into a 3/8"x4" board (or two) to make fender(s) from and even another skateboard for a banana seat.

Latest posts

Back