BUILD OFF 4 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agreed i am suprised a lot of bikes are not doing better but that happens every year. i still think that the bike mikes built last year is one of the most beautiful customs i have ever seen, the build quality on it is perfect, the color and the mods that were done to it were subtle but many. the same goes with my bike this year although not nearly as subtle there were many many custom things done to it OTHER than the carbs i know they stick out but just the time spent to polish the spoke nipples or the sprocket turned skip link actually took just as much time. then there is the pinstriping which took hours. thanks to all who have voted for me it is a nice pat on the back to be recognized as a builder and that others dig my work.

the skip link thing is cool but i would not recommend it for a bike ridden a lot. not only are skip sprocket teeth thicker they are also more fat when viewed from the side. i notice that when i go from the brake to the gas the sprocket moves slightly forwards rotating on the chain. i am not worried because the chain i am using is a NOS chain but i would not do this with an old chain. however it does work well on the rear gear i think because of the smaller diamiter

herr_rudolf said:
But to win, you have stand out from the crowd. That could be something outragiously over the top

geez, you'd think a flame thrower would stand out....
maybe i scared some people with it, or maybe it was too far 'out of the box' for others, i'm not sure.
it seemed like a really cool idea at the time though.

fenderhole said:
maybe i scared some people with it, or maybe it was too far 'out of the box' for others, i'm not sure.

I loved that! My dad thought it was awesome too, and he's in his 60's.

fenderhole said:
herr_rudolf said:
But to win, you have stand out from the crowd. That could be something outragiously over the top

Fenderhole... Maybe you don't realize how well you did with your build. Your Greaser belongs to the top 17 bikes that got the double digit votes! Out of the 92 bikes... That shows that there are quite a few people really respecting your bike! And rightfully so. What makes you think the flametrower isn't a cool idea at this moment? I loved it. It's just that this year most people loved other things also, and maybe a bit more. My point is, everybody did something 'special' to their bike. Everybody's bike has got some sort of 'flametrower' of it's own. For instance: My 'flamethrower' was the use of aluminum. Now that I got 'just' 2 votes I don't think it was a bad idea.. Certainly not. And you can bet I'll be using that material a lot on future builds. The important thing is that you've build a bike YOU really like.

At least I hope you did and do...
You've build a cool bike! Be proud of that.

herr_rudolf said:
My point is, everybody did something 'special' to their bike. Everybody's bike has got some sort of 'flametrower' of it's own.

You've build a cool bike! Be proud of that.

Definitely, almost every bike had something unique and cool about it. I just like showing everyone the little bits and pieces of each person's bike that stand out. It really opens a lot of people's eyes as to what a custom bike can look like, starting with almost every kind of frame imaginable. Everyone I know who's been following my build is amazed at the amount of cool bikes it was going up against.

Aside from the 2 leaders(I didn't vote for them), it's a lot like a coin toss or draw for trump as to who will be voted for, I feel like at least twenty or thirty of these puppies should be the winner. :wink:

wait... don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining nor am i disappointed in the outcome so far. in fact i'm quite pleased to have received the votes i have. i did and still do think the flamethrower is cutting edge for a bike and everyone that has seen it has loved it. that's all the reward i need. :D
i am curious as to why more members haven't voted yet, only 187 at this point have cast their picks. wouldn't it be cool if the remaining 2500+ members all voted the last day. that would surely shake things up a bit...

karfer67 said:
... although not nearly as subtle there were many many custom things done to it OTHER than the carbs i know they stick out but just the time spent to polish the spoke nipples or the sprocket turned skip link actually took just as much time. then there is the pinstriping which took hours. thanks to all who have voted for me it is a nice pat on the back to be recognized as a builder and that others dig my work.

there are 195 :shock: holes that were not there before on mine. sure, people notice, but maybe not that figure. Things that take a lot of time. a bunch more scratch machined or modified bits that people probably don't notice like my front hub and headset. many bikes here have things that it takes a really keen eye to even notice. I did, however notice your striping job. yours and the Koffin Kruiser are true standouts. I picked up my Mack 00 after a long absence, the week before the deadline, and I'll say it again: striping tubing is one of the hardest things to do, you guys did it very well. maybe these "little things" are just noticed... subliminally? :lol:
I chose not to enter with pinstripes, because I was clearly outgunned. after some (a lot of) practice, I do plan to stripe my bike though.

and yeah, American balloon bikes are tough to find. I think maybe they just rust away to nothing up here in Canada. I have only even seen one skiptooth drivetrain in person.would have build one if I could lay my hands on one. I've got my eyes open looking for something more of a contender for next year.

beatcad said:
another subtle suggestion for you guys and gals that havent voted yet.
d739_1.JPG

but seriously. i'm kinda suprised sir loin of beef isnt getting more points.

Thank you very much, I appreciate that! My goal with this bike was to build a highly ridable 'comfort' style bike with a turn of the century look. I didn't want to accessorize too much for weight reasons. I also honestly didn't have high expectations in the contest, knowing that diamond frames and skinny tires usually don't finish very highly in the R.R.B.B.O.'s. So I'm really very appeciative of the positive response you guys have shown. Thanks! :D :D :D :D :D

BTW, Man in Black is one cool bike. And Mr. Cash is one of my favorites. I probably have more J.C. cd's than any other one artist in my collection.

sensor said:
some one say bikes and fire?!?!?

not mine its a friend of acd :mrgreen: (itll still play the vid if you click on it even though it say bandwidth is exceeded)

HOLY ....! :shock: :shock: :shock: Now that's what i'm talkin 'bout Willis! Freakin awesome!

ok i want more info on that setup what is he doing to get the flames to shoot out like that? and fenderhole i agree your flame thrower on a bike is a new thing i have seen it done before out of sissy bar ends but the way you routed it is very clean and hidden which i dig. i still might do a flame thrower setup on the carbs just for giggles but it was one of those "ran outa time" things so i just had to deal with what i ended up with.

fenderhole said:
wait... don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining nor am i disappointed in the outcome so far. in fact i'm quite pleased to have received the votes i have. i did and still do think the flamethrower is cutting edge for a bike and everyone that has seen it has loved it. that's all the reward i need. :D
i am curious as to why more members haven't voted yet, only 187 at this point have cast their picks. wouldn't it be cool if the remaining 2500+ members all voted the last day. that would surely shake things up a bit...

That flamethrower was very cool. The whole '50s look of your bike was outstanding. And MAN can you imagine that flood of votes? Good point.

JoeyMac said:
we've gone from subliminal to superliminal :p

Good clean fun! :lol: I dig these Build Offs. For me it's like an online custom bicycle Mardi Gras.

Is that you in the yellow shirt with your hands in your pockets? :wink: :lol: That must be you on lead guitar.

Latest posts

Back