Good From Afar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to kick this thing into low gear! Got everything down from the top shelf. View attachment 156474
Ignore the fork, it's a placeholder. Way too big unless i intend to run the cups outside the frame.
View attachment 156480
Probably not going to use the front one, but dragged it out anyway.
View attachment 156483
The stuff is so bad that I feel no pain whatsoever drilling and cutting it.
View attachment 156487
Frame is just as badView attachment 156476
If not worse! Definitely not going on any trails with this one.
View attachment 156479View attachment 156478
Huh, it's not actually all that bad. From a few feet away. After a few wobbly pops. Again, ignore the front end. The Araya will be replaced with a matching black/raw alloy like the rear.
Mockup with tins, and not one tool used.
View attachment 156475
Maybe new title Good from Far, Far From Good?
And now it's back up on the shelf whilst I ruminate.
I like it Matti. Glad you're in on the fun

How about 'GOOD FROM AFAR'

I like the Moose-headed in the right direction. I mean, Canada, moose, Bullwinkle, your humor;
it all works. ;)

I also like the idea of the knobby mtb tires. Fits with the 'up nort' and woodsy theme. Now of course, a pair of Bullmoose handlebars would def tip the scales in your favor, but they are rare and $$$.

Some big ol' shin eatin' Bear trap pedals though, that would be cool!

bear traps.jpg

Found these 'already been chewed' pair on ebay / google search. VP also makes a new version, sell for around $25 USD. Readily available.

RaT oN~!

Hey, have you been checking out my parts pile? Lol it's guarded by my mother in law, I can barely get in there!
IMG_20190902_152313586.jpg

The yellow one with the bent frame on the left, ccm or supercycle or something, with knock off bullmeese, but I thought it would be too much on the nose? The bike has some serious sentimental value to the gatekeeper, so it will be an incredibly interesting negotiation.

*note. I was not allowed the middle teal CCM either. Not even for a straight restoration. I also want the kid BMX bars with the red grips. I got the xl snowracer though!

Some big ol' shin eatin' Bear trap pedals though, that would be cool!

VP also makes a new version, sell for around $25 USD. Readily available.

RaT oN~!
Seriously though, you been going through my parts pile? OJ is 2 for 2!
IMG_20210508_110042389.jpg

I think they're VPs, but they're too big, destined for an MTB crank.
As for big tire all terrain theme, I was trying to break outta that mold. I wanted to try a skinny speedster thing, with more emphasis on "ratty" than "matti". We'll see where I end up.

Seriously though, you been going through my parts pile? OJ is 2 for 2!
View attachment 156849
I think they're VPs, but they're too big, destined for an MTB crank.
As for big tire all terrain theme, I was trying to break outta that mold. I wanted to try a skinny speedster thing, with more emphasis on "ratty" than "matti". We'll see where I end up.
Well, if you decide to stay 'rustic', then get a BB conversion kit and run a more modern 3 piece crank. That way you can use those cool ^ pedals!

Had a minute or two to fool around a bit.
IMG_20210515_134536198.jpg

Masked it off for some planning sketches. Tried using Dremel tool, just made a mess. This stuff is so thin, I'll be able to use shears.
IMG_20210515_140905845.jpg

IMG_20210515_140934059.jpg

Got a little outta control at the back, hope I didn't go too far.
IMG_20210515_141224100.jpg

Little closer than I intended...
This far for now:
IMG_20210515_141950757.jpg

My biggest drill bit is only 3/8", so speed holes will have to wait. I have a set of hole saws, but there is a step bit set on sale at the hardware store, always wanted to get those. Might still trim a bit more too, did I exercise too much restraint? This is the Big League, darnit!

Personally, I’d wait for the step bit. They’re a lot easier to control, in my opinion.

BTW, nice trim job on that chainguard, I’ve got a similar one that might have to get the same treatment one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the new build name. It kinda reminds me of this Lyle Lovett song (you got to listen to the whole thing to get it).

Latest posts

Back