Build-Off Bike Names: Pop Culture References

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While taking an initial look at all of the build names in RRBO 16, there seems to be quite a few pop culture references in the bike names. Some are obvious, others are subtle, and some are even admittedly in that vein. If they are listed up and the references explained, it may bridge generation gaps and make the whole process more inclusive for those who may not know and they might even learn something cool in the process.

Dean Dean's Mountain Machine is derived from a nickname I call my friend Dean (the eventual recipient of the build), which was derived from the character Gene Gene The Dancing Machine from The Gong Show in the 1970's.

I’m surprised there’s no ‘song title’ build names with ’Sixteen’ or ’16’ in them yet. Things like…

Sixteen Tons - Tennessee Ernie Ford
Sweet Little Sixteen - Chuck Berry
Sixteen Candles - The Crests
Sweet Sixteen - Billy Idol

Glen.

I saw @billly-bob-customs Build where he’s using a 90’s cruiser and part of me went “well, that’s not that old” and the old part of me did the math and said ... “dang it.”

I work with folks who offen don’t get my references, so, pop culture is definitely a moving target.

I saw @billly-bob-customs Build where he’s using a 90’s cruiser and part of me went “well, that’s not that old” and the old part of me did the math and said ... “dang it.”

I work with folks who offen don’t get my references, so, pop culture is definitely a moving target.
Which is why I started this thread. The generations beyond the Boomers sometimes seem intimidated by "old guy" references and they are less likely to be when things are explained. It goes both ways as well. I learn things from younger friends and acquaintances constantly.

I could pretend that my build name came from adding an H in front of the More Than Words band Extreme, but I would be lying :D :D :D

1620269658460.png
1620269579029.png

I actually looked for something older but came across this one and thought to myself, that'll do since I'm just going to redo it anyway... As far as getting older references, I'm 52. I get most things and also have to explain a lot of my references to younger people. Having a couple boys helps keep me in the younger generation references and slang.

My two cars that got me through High School were both '66s...at the time (mid '80s) they were considered classics. They were ~20years old...what 2001 car would you call a classic today? 2001 Mustang? 2001 Camaro? Nope...they are just old Mustangs and Camaros and whatever. Probably the last vehicle produced that I can refer to as a classic without cringing would be an '81 F-body (Firebird/Camaro).

Same with music...first time I heard Motley Crue on a classic rock radio station...I started laughing. Then a little mental math later...uh, yeah, I guess it is?

Extreme? Really? Get The Funk Out!
View attachment 156433
*Image included because I felt like it might be a pop culture reference I would have to explain. Do people actually listen to Extreme?
My friend Anthony is a huge fan.
Honestly they weren't a bad band, they just jumped on that ballad band wagon of the late 80s and messed it all up.
Then when the singer went to Van Halen, that was just bad.

Chrysler has done a pretty good job of redefining their own classic cars by reimagining their muscle cars of the past. Their Challenger is a good example of a vehicular reminder of the past that stays current.
I've done multiple music names, but they have to be songs I like. Little Neutrino is a favorite of mine, as was Tyranny and Mutation and the current Wheels of Confusion. I've also down right stole a name (and a theme) but I'll call it a pop culture tribute when I used The Thunderbolt Grease Slapper. Puns or plays on words are also appropriate, names like Rockin' Rollfast speak for themselves. Simple also works. I dare you to find a more fitting and maybe self deprecating name than DoorK.

Carl.

Last edited:
Simple also works. I dare you to find a more fitting and maybe self deprecating name than DoorK.

Carl.
Challenge accepted. Only way I stand a chance of beating Carl is naming and self defecation*
Build Off Bike, MattiThundrrr's is a reference to this clown who is attempting to build a bike for a contest. "Pop" and "culture" are open to debate, he's neither popular, nor cultured.
*Defecate was not a typo

My build name is a literal definition of the bike and a reference to my first car - a ‘66 Convertible. Like @RustyGold my ‘66 Mustang took me through high school. But at the time it was only 18 years old and a “classic” is defined as 20 years or older. But in 1984 that ‘66 Mustang sure seemed a heck of a lot older than a 2003 Mustang does now.

My build name is a literal definition of the bike and a reference to my first car - a ‘66 Convertible. Like @RustyGold my ‘66 Mustang took me through high school. But at the time it was only 18 years old and a “classic” is defined as 20 years or older. But in 1984 that ‘66 Mustang sure seemed a heck of a lot older than a 2003 Mustang does now.
The fact that anyone calls an 03 mustang a classic is disturbing to me.... Not as disturbing as the kids I work with thinking a 99 corolla 4 door is a beautiful car, but still disturbing.

I have an 86 corolla 4 door. It's ugly as sin, but dang.
44f6ee63d2b204abac1b3bf72ff9ef83.jpg

I had to drive this old car to school.
6804.jpeg

Latest posts

Back