Build Off Musicians lounge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Highwood, we like doing songs by legendary bands, but maybe not the ones you always hear other bands cover.
We're not exactly 'deep tracks', but tend towards the less than 'most known for' hit by a particular band.

Here's our version of Emerson, Lake and Palmer's " From the Beginning". I don't think the guitar intro made it on to this recording, but the night time vibe and car show venue adds it's own bit of cool....

In Highwood, we like doing songs by legendary bands, but maybe not the ones you always hear other bands cover.
We're not exactly 'deep tracks', but tend towards the less than 'most known for' hit by a particular band.

Here's our version of Emerson, Lake and Palmer's " From the Beginning". I don't think the guitar intro made it on to this recording, but the night time vibe and car show venue adds it's own bit of cool....

Fantastic cover.

HELLO WRATTERS!! BEEN DOING SOME WORK ON SOME OF MY GUITARS BURIED IN THE BASEMENT. PLUS MY FRIEND GAVE ME A 1984 IBANEZ THAT I HAD TO CUSTOMIZE. PEACE
CYMERA_20220703_142617.jpg
CYMERA_20220630_222903.jpg
CYMERA_20220619_220307.jpg
CYMERA_20220604_072150.jpg

ELP was great. ELO… big Wakeman fan too. I am not a keyboard guy. (Well maybe the accordion a little bit but I don’t tell that to people.)

It’s so hard to play outdoors in the open like that with only the ground to reflect your sound. You can’t hear yourself properly against the rest of the music.
Lately I’ve been stuck playing and replaying Mott the Hoople. All the way from Memphis keeps going around in my head. And Honoluchi Boogie . . .

But I forgot about Bluegrass and Rockabilly lately. I am a big fan of the Del McCoury band, but I also go for The Beat Farmers, the Reverend Horton Heat, and sometimes Mojo Nixon.

The soundtrack from Redneck Rampage is on my permanent rotation.

ELP was great. ELO… big Wakeman fan too. I am not a keyboard guy. (Well maybe the accordion a little bit but I don’t tell that to people.)

It’s so hard to play outdoors in the open like that with only the ground to reflect your sound. You can’t hear yourself properly against the rest of the music.
Lately I’ve been stuck playing and replaying Mott the Hoople. All the way from Memphis keeps going around in my head. And Honoluchi Boogie . . .

But I forgot about Bluegrass and Rockabilly lately. I am a big fan of the Del McCoury band, but I also go for The Beat Farmers, the Reverend Horton Heat, and sometimes Mojo Nixon.

The soundtrack from Redneck Rampage is on my permanent rotation.
Redneck Rampage! Nice, I remember that game! And my old band used to play in California (Bay Area, San Jose and Santa Cruz) with both Mojo and the Beat Farmers on occasion!

Highwood Band has a couple big gigs this weekend. Friday night we will be joined by my brother Dave on lead guitar for the North St Paul Car Cruzer show on the street in front of Sidewinders Bar. One of our favorite spots to play! Here is a clip from a couple years ago when Dave joined us for a couple tunes at our patio gig.....

I sure don’t miss those days traveling from gig to gig.

I was hauling around a country western band with a ‘59 Chevy pick up truck.

Sucker got about 9 miles to the gal . . . Back when gas was $0.39.

Playing local shows sure saves on the expense report, that's for sure. Last night we were only 7 miles from home at the N St Paul Car Cruzer show. This happens every Friday night June - September, and we were lucky to get two nights booked this summer. It's kind of a coveted showcase for local bands.

Here's a recording by our friend Carlos (no relation to Santana) of my original blues tune "Waitin' All Night". My brother Dave on lead guitar sat in for about a dozen songs last night. Super fun!

A guy asked our bass player at a gig recently,
"Do you guys play what people want you to play, or do you play what you want to play?"

Steve responded, " We play what we want, and they are often surprised when they say 'Hey, that sounds familiar' ".

Primarily a cover band, we don't always play the classic 'cover songs'.
Here is our version of Chris Rea's "Fool (If You Think it's Over)" As always, headphones enhance the dynamic range.

A guy asked our bass player at a gig recently,
"Do you guys play what people want you to play, or do you play what you want to play?"

Steve responded, " We play what we want, and they are often surprised when they say 'Hey, that sounds familiar
Deep cuts... It's refreshing to hear the stuff that wasn't top 40, or at least not the one big hit from a band.

Several weeks ago I had a trio gig and our bassist tested positive for the rona just a few hours before load in. So the guitarist and I did an 'unplugged' duo instead. Most of the time I'm on the kit so it was fun to change things up.

Got the hostess to get a picture from behind with my phone toward the end of the night.
IMG_4305.JPG

Since then we were back as the trio but decided to do the unplugged set up again with the three of us. Fun to do and much easier loading gear! :cool:

Latest posts

Back