Building a shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a shifter tor this bike to fit inside the tank so I figured I'd share what I learned.

045.jpg

The shifter I built is for a Sturmey Archer three speed which has a longer throw between 2nd and 3rd gear than between 1st and 2nd. The throw and related cable mounting dimensions determines the distance the cable travels which is critical to hub operation. So I decided to reverse engineer a shifter I had to get the geometry.

I clamped the shifter on the bench and marked the fulcrum. From there I shifted through the gears and marked the angles of rotation the shifter goes through.

shiftbuild1.jpg

I also measured the distances from the fulcrum to the cable attachment and the detent locations. I made a little sketch that contains all the signifigant geometry for a Sturmey 3 speed hub. The 18 and 21 degrees illustrate the longer throw I refered to. I believe a Shimano will have different geometry.

P1012716-1.jpg

I then laid out the 2 plates needed With the detent ball mounted on the rotating portion and the detent ball holes drilled into the fixed plate that mounted to the frame.

P1012718-1.jpg

I used a Vlier spring loaded ball plunger that came with 3/8-16 threads so I drilled a hole and welded a nut to accept the ball plunger. I liked this bcause you can adjust the depth by threading it in and out.

P1012726-1.jpg

Then I welded on a stub to mount my shifter handle on but from here you can use your imagination on yours how to continue.

P1012742.jpg

Vlier sells a variety of spring loaded ball plungers of varying ball diameters, spring pressures and mounting accomidations.

http://www.vlier.com/product_index/sld/bp_00_index.html

Feel free to use the dimensions on the sketches to set yours up. My shifter works great and don't forget you'll also need to come up with rotation stops also. Feel free to ask questions.Good luck!

Here are some more photos.

P1012754-1.jpg

P1012770.jpg

P1012737.jpg

Nice work! I know very little about these 3 speed SA shifters, but i DO know i want one on my next build.

My plans are to use this set up on a 24 X 4 rear wheel:

9999hub.jpg

I want to scrap the little shifter enclosed with the ket and use a 16" or so long steel rod for a shifter handle and attach it to the rear of the frame maybe like 8" from the rear hub.

It looks like your set up is beefier than what comes with this kit.

I don't know if my idea will require me to beef up the shifter mechanism or if I'll be OK with what's in the kit.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Spin

amazing! this should definitly be a sticky. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back