Built in 1 day...LAST DITCH EFFORT aka Old McDonald New Pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Due to a twist of fate I threw my hat in the ring this year at the last minute. Seven hours later my contribution to this years build off is finished with a total cost under $20. I'm indebted to my son, Henry, who turned what could have been a taxing ordeal into a laugh riot as he sang "Old McDonald had a bike E I E I O", all throughout the day. My thanks goes out to all the RRB members who gave me encouragement over the last few hours, :lol: and to my wife who put up with me this afternoon and knew to suggest taking a break and going to the pool when I was about to my breaking point.
This has been a great experience and as I draw my entry to a close I'm already anticipating the possibilities next year's build off has to offer especially since I won't wait for a cracked hub to force my hand.
So here we go...
Before
July2012008.jpg

After
July2012064.jpg

July2012061.jpg

July2012060.jpg

July2012059.jpg

July2012057.jpg

July2012054.jpg

Re: Built in one day...LAST DITCH EFFORT aka Old McDonald

Dang, I just wasted 2.5 months!!!!!! :shock:

OLD McDONALD HAD A BIKE, E - I - E - I - O !!!!

Aww come on 2 days!! Ybj2?!? This bike is sweet!

Anything can be done when you set your mind to it... :lol: 8) bike...

you must be completely dragged out.... 103F today !!!! I hit the A/C about 11 am and posted pictures and stayed inside the rest of the day. 8)

You certainly got results, I like your Mcdonald bike! :D

You could have fooled me, looks like months of work here, extra points for the quick turn around.

there's some cool bits on this bike; like that seat and the rack. Nice job.

Got some better pictures today at work during my break and thought I'd post some specs on the bike while I was at it.
July2012065.jpg

July2012072.jpg

July2012068.jpg

July2012067.jpg

Now for those specs.;
The frame, bottom bracket, crank, chain ring, seat post and headset, are original early '80's Murray Monterey
The wheels are late '50's, German made, Schwinn approved S7's, original white paint and rust
The tires are 26X1 3/4 corded Goodyear, '60's vintage
The fork is late '50's although the bike of origin is unknown, I'm going to say Freightliner?
The chainguard is also from a Monterey, I added a '59 Ford fender ornament, sans gold ball, to it
The handlebars are Wald gullwing style touring bars flipped
The grips are vintage Hunt Wilde
The stem came from a dumpster dived mountain bike
The headlight is an old police style spotlight converted to LEDs
The seat is a salvaged springer touring seat which I painted and distressed.
The rack is an old swap meet find which is mounted to chrome sissy bar clamps due to lack of original hardware
The pedals are Wald rubber block style
The paint old (frame) and new (seat)is Ace Hardware red oxide primer and I believe Rustoleum satin black (chainguard), I could be wrong though as the chainguard was painted years ago.
The rust throughout is courtesy of time

Peatbog said:
Nice looking bike. How was the first ride to work?
First ride to work was a blast! Had to go all over campus today so got to do plenty of riding. At first I thought the bars a little awkward but after a little adjustment (raised stem pulled grips up a hair) I was amazed at how much more control I had compared to the Wald 867 I took off.
Good thing too, they were doing freshman orientation, so lots of kids wandering around like lost sheep to dodge. The administration tends to frown on employees running down potential revenue, even on bikes. :lol:

dogdart said:
A cool bike , regardless of being a " Last Ditch Effort " . Plenty of style & attitude .

I agree!!! Super cool ride !!!!!!!

very Cool ! Glad you put that springer to good use ! :wink:

Thanks guys, right now I'm in dead last... and that's pretty much what I expected, as this posting I have a big ole goose egg on votes, which I'm cool with. :) However if you're undecided on your last vote, if you could throw it to one of the guys with zero votes, not me, a lot of these guys ran themselves ragged building a bike over the last few months, and I knows a vote or 2 would at least justify their time spent.

A.S.BOLTNUT said:
very Cool ! Glad you put that springer to good use ! :wink:
I built this bike so quickly, I never got the chance to thank you for the springer, I'm sorry the tank I traded you didn't fit, :oops: however it seems you found it a home quickly. Sorry for any inconvenience, but the fork I got from you really made this build, thank you so much! :D

Latest posts

Back