Cadillac

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

Reaction score
How long do we wait?!? It's like shaking a present under the Christmas tree! (which, yes, I still do by the way)
I'll take them out when i get home from work today, I just want to take off the flaky rust that comes off when you touch it. If you leave stuff in too long it gets a nasty yellow coating that"s difficult to remove

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
I'll take them out when i get home from work today, I just want to take off the flaky rust that comes off when you touch it. If you leave stuff in too long it gets a nasty yellow coating that"s difficult to remove
Interesting. I'll be anxious to see the result.

Couch tater

RRB Supporter
Pro Member
Reaction score
The OA concoction that I've found works real good is 1&1/4 oz OA per gallon of hot water. It gives me the incentive to drain the water heater (which I'd neglect otherwise) on larger batches. I scrub the parts every fifteen minutes with a soft bristle brush. About two hours takes care of most average rust. Afterwards the parts get a real, real thorough cleaning because the yellow crud is something not to be experienced twice.

Reaction score
Out of the bucket, light scrub with some steel wool then a good rinse and they look like this
B0194B3E-E48E-41C1-B27D-EB1B6C64DEDC.jpeg
colors and pinstripes look good but they’re still scruffy enough for my bike 😁 just gotta hammer out a crease and a few dents, rivet them to the braces and make the whole contraption fit the bike ….

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Reaction score
I still haven't used wood bleach on a bike yet. I always love seeing the results though. Nice job!

ingola

RRB Supporter
Pro Member
Reaction score
Out of the bucket, light scrub with some steel wool then a good rinse and they look like this View attachment 198319 colors and pinstripes look good but they’re still scruffy enough for my bike 😁 just gotta hammer out a crease and a few dents, rivet them to the braces and make the whole contraption fit the bike ….
Even cheaper citric acid just don't leave it in to long because the rust will all come off shiny metal one pound for one gallon

Reaction score
That swap meet looks like a great place to be, beautiful bikes.

Ideas on handlebars:

The bars are most of the time 22.2mm and many tubes are this size as well:
  • Lawn mower bars.
  • Personal Training devices.
  • Garden tools.
Go anywhere and take a angle grinder with battery with you. That is what I did and came home with these bars for my 2019 buildoff bike (tube from a lawn mower):
Sidenote, when you are out on patrol with your angle grinder, be on the lookout for the cops, people tend to think you are a crook instead of a ratrodder.

Z9ziCfK.jpeg

Reaction score
so glad i didn't know about that swap. There's some great bikes in those photos.

Kevin B

Bicycle Demolitionist
Reaction score
Looking at your Cadillac frame, I really like the way the seat stays join the top tube. That is one of many nice features of the frame and components.

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Reaction score