Cadillac

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long do we wait?!? It's like shaking a present under the Christmas tree! (which, yes, I still do by the way)
I'll take them out when i get home from work today, I just want to take off the flaky rust that comes off when you touch it. If you leave stuff in too long it gets a nasty yellow coating that"s difficult to remove

I'll take them out when i get home from work today, I just want to take off the flaky rust that comes off when you touch it. If you leave stuff in too long it gets a nasty yellow coating that"s difficult to remove
Interesting. I'll be anxious to see the result.

The OA concoction that I've found works real good is 1&1/4 oz OA per gallon of hot water. It gives me the incentive to drain the water heater (which I'd neglect otherwise) on larger batches. I scrub the parts every fifteen minutes with a soft bristle brush. About two hours takes care of most average rust. Afterwards the parts get a real, real thorough cleaning because the yellow crud is something not to be experienced twice.

Out of the bucket, light scrub with some steel wool then a good rinse and they look like this
B0194B3E-E48E-41C1-B27D-EB1B6C64DEDC.jpeg
colors and pinstripes look good but they’re still scruffy enough for my bike 😁 just gotta hammer out a crease and a few dents, rivet them to the braces and make the whole contraption fit the bike ….

I still haven't used wood bleach on a bike yet. I always love seeing the results though. Nice job!

Out of the bucket, light scrub with some steel wool then a good rinse and they look like this View attachment 198319colors and pinstripes look good but they’re still scruffy enough for my bike 😁 just gotta hammer out a crease and a few dents, rivet them to the braces and make the whole contraption fit the bike ….
Even cheaper citric acid just don't leave it in to long because the rust will all come off shiny metal one pound for one gallon

That swap meet looks like a great place to be, beautiful bikes.

Ideas on handlebars:

The bars are most of the time 22.2mm and many tubes are this size as well:
  • Lawn mower bars.
  • Personal Training devices.
  • Garden tools.
Go anywhere and take a angle grinder with battery with you. That is what I did and came home with these bars for my 2019 buildoff bike (tube from a lawn mower):
Sidenote, when you are out on patrol with your angle grinder, be on the lookout for the cops, people tend to think you are a crook instead of a ratrodder.

Z9ziCfK.jpeg

so glad i didn't know about that swap. There's some great bikes in those photos.

Excellent bikes!!!
Now get back to building yours!!!

Yeah, what he ^ said !?!

Only 2 weeks = 1 day left, Schultzie~! Bring it on home!

What's the latest here?

Yeah, what he ^ said !?!

Only 2 weeks = 1 day left, Schultzie~! Bring it on home!
A few weeks of high temps and high humidity killed all my desire to work on anything when I got home from working outside all day, and when it finally broke I was so far behind on yard work and property maintenance that I’ve been catching up.tonight was the first time I touched the bike since July !! I got the fender stays straightened out, then with my trusty high school shop class hammer and 3 dollar flea market dolly I got the fenders undented, gotta stop at the hardware store to get some flat head screws and square nuts to hold it all together, but it’s gonna look like this…
78A4D215-41F0-4CF1-9661-6CF33545FB38.jpeg
882550CF-65C1-4B18-865D-CFFD90E48783.jpeg
4C6EDDC6-917A-465E-AC4F-5BD029165262.jpeg
17CAE5BA-C981-4526-BEBE-41CE6659B210.jpeg
0DB69260-A1BD-4987-B859-CCF61238C519.jpeg

You 'tenda to da fenda , and rat rod it did renda!

Glad you were able to squeeze in some time on the build. The heat can sap not only our physical energy, but our creative juices as well. Looks like you are back on track!

RaT oN~!

Latest posts

Back