Calling It Quits

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats.
Been at mine for 29, same kind of work. I know it take a toll on your body.

Thanks again everyone.

My 2nd wife. She is still working. Only 1 year younger than me though. Think I'll keep her anyway.

As for hobbies... In addition to bicycles, gardening and computing, I now have these additional new ones... home repair, mowing, house work and babysitting Grandkids when out of school :D

Must be nice to finally have the time to finish all your projects. I figure the day I retire I'll open a small bike shop and I'll die with a wrench in one hand, a bike part in the other, and a smile on my face wider than a fat frank. :mrgreen:

Congrads on your retirement. about 2 more years for me.

I predict that you will have less time than ever for yourself, and that ma-bell will be knocking real soon with a part time contract work offer in hand. It happens with guys with your knowledge and skills.

I dunno... but I think he found a hobby, :lol:

530482_3260667448794_1630434808_2637545_1934932588_n.jpg

Ratfink1962 said:
I dunno... but I think he found a hobby, :lol:

530482_3260667448794_1630434808_2637545_1934932588_n.jpg

^^^^^ That just might be the funniest picture ever!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

aka_locojoe said:
Ha you beat me to posting that pic.
I was in the park taking a break from feeding the pigeons.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the laugh guys! :mrgreen:

Nice to have the opportunity to make that choice,rather than being laid off. Here in NJ if one worked on the copper you are no longer wanted. If you retrain for fiber, you take a paycut, pay for benefits,work more, etc.Hope you were eligible for an early out package. Retirement is an adjustment. I don't agree with the " Golden Years " being after retiring at age 65 ( it's 66 now ) because of what I saw with aging people. 55 to 65 are more golden to me, while you have the benefits of better health. About a year from now the perplexing thing to explain to working people is that you work more now that you are retired.

Interesting thread, thanks for the insight into your work life. Squirrels have chewed through our cable feed line twice.
I retired at 60 after teaching for 33 years. After about a year took another part time job, and retired for good at 66, I hope. Have fun, with your experience you should have no problem finding another job if you get bored. Maybe you could start a cruiser bike tour company or web page design?

Surprised to see this thread still going.

@skipton Glad you liked the photo. I might explain... I had posted that photo on my Facebook page and Mitch reposted it here. Just in case you might have thought my wife had hired Mitch to follow me around with a camera and see how I spend my days :lol:

@clamdigger Yes that's they way things are heading here. As for the golden years... one of my fears was that if I kept working I'd be too crippled up to enjoy retirement. As for a buy out get this... I had decided and announced I was leaving. On the morning of the same day I was to "sign my papers" they announced an early out incentive for 5 people. So I stuck around (using vacation) another 2 weeks waiting to see if I made the cut which I did. Can't believe the timing! The buy out isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things but a nice little parting gift. And now knowing that they were going down people I feel good knowing I saved someone else's job.

@MazdaFlyer I've never planned to work after retirement but finances may dictate otherwise later. I can't see going back to work because I'm bored though. If I get bored I go for a bike ride or take a nap :D When I talk to those like you that worked a lot longer, especially if by choice, I feel like a quitter or I wimped out. Hope you're enjoying and doing well in your retirement.

I am going to miss it. All the interesting places I got to see. Was just talking to the guy replacing my truck windshield (yes now it's my turn to pester the working folks) about how I would work on occasion at the factory that used to be here where they made the windshields.

IMG_2466.JPG

Now that I'm not working I've agreed to take on all my Wife's chores of housework. mowing, my laundry etc... I'm finding it's not an easy task yet she managed to do all this while working full time :shock:
I just reconfirmed my belief that mowing sucks! She did it frequently too. We live on the main street and my wife mowing is like a landmark here in town. I think the locals will back me up on that too.

lol... yep I agree, I dont know how they do it. Currently I have a lifetime ban on laundry. Last time I tried... I messed it up pretty good and we had to go clothes shopping :oops:

Cooking... no problemo, I can cook up a storm.

And yeah its gonna be strange not seeing her mow.
Ive always mowed my yard... its not bad except when it gets up around 105 degrees, and you cant mow in the morning since the grass is still wet. the only thing that makes it better... pack a few beers in a small cooler and every pass you make, stop and chug half the beer, repeat until the cooler is empty :D

congrats on the retirement. the best thing about working outside the office is getting to see all the neat things like what you took pics of. i drive a semi in the city and see all kinds of crazy things. i thought about buying one of those gopro cameras and mounting it on my dash. lol

Uncle Stretch said:
Yep know the feeling. I retired at 55 . Was too early , but after almost 6 years , I know I made the right decision. I seem to have as much or more money than I had. Just paid $11,000 cash on a new Chevy Silverado. The good part is it only gets 14 miles to the gallon , but a tank full lasts me two weeks. I like new and paid for. My best decision was to smash my watch with a hammer and then I made two rules. If I'm hungry I eat and if I'm tired I sleep. I am no longer in step with the rest of the world. I have no concept of the date. People tell me to have a nice weekend....ha ha they are all weekends. Someone mentions the word JOB I mention the phrase BITE ME! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am with you here. I broke my neck in three place and got retired at age 39, at 1st its really hard, but after a bit you get
a routine. if I dont have my cell phone with me I cannot tell what time it is or what day of the week. try to turn a hobby you
like into a money maker for you. I bought broken cars dirt cheap and fixed and sold them for years. my new hobby is trying to
get my 23 year old kid out of my house :lol: :lol: :lol:

one thing you will miss for sure is finding old bikes in the yards of all the houses you went to :lol:

So enjoyed reading through this thread, a real good feel factor from everyone! Enjoy your retirement and have a great April Fools Day ride out!

......Party Lines? what the heck was that all about? My Dad was trying to run a small truck business sharing a line with old Mrs Wilkinson next door, Now that was funny! How we have moved on!!

Hey Randy. I'm just catching up with this thread....Congrats! I did it three years ago. Best thing I ever did. I, like you're planning, did ALL the house work, and cooking....My FIRST mistake...Every morning I got up with my wife, made her breakfast, packed her lunch, here's the mistake: Standing in the doorway in my underwear (sometimes scratching myself :roll: ) waiving good bye. After about a month, I got the LOOK (NO words were ever spoken), "If I gotta work, you gotta work.".....SOOO, I work part time (I liked standing in the doorway better).............GOOD LUCK!

Latest posts

Back