Campground Buggy Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rustification coat is on...
My choice of colors:
IMG_20210728_140146148.jpg

And here the intermediary rust coat to be covered up by the final paint job and to be partially revealed later on:
IMG_20210728_142041088.jpg
IMG_20210728_142049042.jpg
IMG_20210728_142057319.jpg

Help, help, what happened there? Did you paint the frame black, apply the tape for the white and add the tomato paste to make the breaks in the white? But was more tomato paste involved for the black? It was like magic - one moment old bike, next moment fab stylish machine! :13:
I kept the old crappy black paint job and masked of the white stripes. Then before paint I applied little dabs of tomato paste (others used mustard here) on the chipped and rusty spots from the old paint.
Now I sprayed white over it. After removing the masking tape I rubbed off the paste with a wet towel... ✨🧙‍♂️✨

Time for a good read, some music from my vintage radio and a cup of coffee while the paint dries...
IMG_20210729_121412647_HDR.jpg

Later maybe a short trip to the local pump track with the kids...

I'll try to mask off and paint the black swooshes this evening, so all the paint will have some 48h to fully cure, as I have to take the kids back home tomorrow and won't be back on the campground until Saturday afternoon....

When back, I will start the wet sanding to reveal the rust and give it the right amount of fauxtina....

This afternoon I checked out the all new pumptrack nearby. I must confess, I was the oldest kid on the playground... 😁
But I had a lot of fun with my Capitan Terror once I realized that I need to slam the saddle all the way down...
But also my kids handled the track quite well for their first time.

My younger (7) stepped in as a camera operator, my older one (9) is the kid with the red helmet.

Right around the corner is also the Museum of Military History Berlin-Gatow. Entrance is free and you can even roll in with your bike, as this is the former British military airfield, that was one of the three cornerstones during the Berlin Airlift.
IMG_20210729_171037570_HDR.jpg

I think I might come back here with my trike when it's done to take some pictures for the finished thread...

I couldn't wait until tomorrow...
So after dinner I taped off all non black areas and went at it (ran out of the good masking tape with foil already attached, so I had to improvise a bit)
IMG_20210729_203440482.jpg

But it worked fine. See for yourself:
IMG_20210729_210915411.jpg

IMG_20210729_210745672.jpg

Paint job is done but not finished....

...to be continued! :bandit:

I just had to do this to have a glimpse at how it will look when done.
The trunk is not fixed to the base yet but I already like it!
IMG_20210730_095752347.jpg

IMG_20210730_100115208.jpg

But I think the frame/front end needs some small red accents now.
Thinking of emblem, front rim, fork crown, ...

Last edited:
Since the saddle is a reddish colour, would you consider painting the headlamp shell in a metallic red?

By the way, can I ask what is that golden-framed folder in the background?

Since the saddle is a reddish colour, would you consider painting the headlamp shell in a metallic red?
Hmm, I would rather not, because I really like the original patina it has...
By the way, can I ask what is that golden-framed folder in the background?
It's a pretty beat down Lamberti (probably some Italian brand) that I use as my campground hauler. A friend gave it to me, when she left Berlin. The pedals that came with it are now on the trike. 😉
Here are some pics from two years ago:
CameraZOOM-20190722144628015.jpg

CameraZOOM-20190722153159823.jpg

Sweet piece of 1970s bicycle style, almost all my bikes are folders and I am looking for one with a curved tube design, preferably a Romet flaming, which is very similar!

I just had to do this to have a glimpse at how it will look when done.
The trunk is not fixed to the base yet but I already like it!
View attachment 166454
View attachment 166455
But I think the frame/front end needs some small red accents now.
Thinking of emblem, front rim, fork crown, ...
Just my .02, but I wouldn’t add a red rim or red to the fork crown, I think they would be too ‘match-ey’. I like the idea of a red headbadge or emblem. Maybe embellish the white striping with a lick of red on the curves?
All you need is a subtle tie in to the trunk, trust me it’ll do

Yeah, this comes close to what I was thinking, seeing it like this for the first time...
But once I'm done with the full ratina process, it will hopefully look less like a clowns bike.
Just my .02, but I wouldn’t add a red rim or red to the fork crown, I think they would be too ‘match-ey’. I like the idea of a red headbadge or emblem. Maybe embellish the white striping with a lick of red on the curves?
All you need is a subtle tie in to the trunk, trust me it’ll do
I'll probably go with the emblem first. NSU usually colored them in the main colours of the frame. If that's not enough, then I can still add some red to the striping.

I'll probably go with the emblem first. NSU usually colored them in the main colours of the frame. If that's not enough, then I can still add some red to the striping.
Good thing I spend a night at home today. A quick trip to the basement provided me with the right tools to give the frame some dashes of red...
(and some random bits from past projects)
IMG_20210730_203010298.jpg

I feel like a member of Miyagi Do Karate now after several hours of "sand on, wipe off", but finally the buggy revealed it's inner rat:
IMG_20210731_163038148.jpg
IMG_20210731_163110171.jpg

One more coat of flat clear and I call the trunk done....
And looking at it I think that the frame only needs very few hints of red to tye everything together well!

Worked on the head badge.

It was painted over with flat black, so I had to get rid of this first. Some patience and a small screwdriver did the job well enough:
IMG_20210731_172239121.jpg

Then I carefully dabbed in some ruby red into the lower parts of the badge:
IMG_20210731_173936667.jpg

When it has dried off, I will give it a light sanding to fully reveal the higher parts again and dull the shine a bit.

Looking at the trike from the front, I think with headbadge, pedals and caliper break, there is enough red now.
IMG_20210731_174739161.jpg

One option would be lining the lugs in red, but I don't think that's necessary...

Latest posts

Back