Campground Buggy Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just came back from a 10 km "tour autour du lac" with the kids and what can I say: It takes some time to get used to the handling of a trike, but it's a fun ride.

In general it rides ok. But it really needs shorter cranks and a bigger front sprocket (or smaller rear sprocket). So we'll see where this bike leads me to...

Last edited:
Took also a ride video this morning and you can see/hear me hitting the ground with the pedal at 0:26.
So I really need to scavenge that bottom bracket from the therapy bike. I'm really not looking forward to take out the BB of the NSU. Those kind of BB (Glockenlager) have the cranks pressed on by a machine with loads of pressure and usually only come off with brute force. The last time I dealt with one of these I had to saw the axle apart to get it off...

Last edited:
I just came back from a 10 km "tour autour du lac" with the kids and what can I say: It takes some time to get used to the handling of a trike, but it's a fun ride.

In general it rides ok. But it really needs shorter cranks and a bigger front sprocket (or smaller rear sprocket). So we'll see where this bike leeds me to...
Swiss - G, great video! And, from that quick 180 degree turn you did on wet dirt; I'd say you've got the 'handling' down pat on this trike!

Really happy to see this ride video. One of our parameters for the build-off, under the Build Off Rules, point #5 "Bike must be ride-able and pedal powered" is really only measurable with a ride video. Thanks for posting this! The other thing is, the live video gets us a little more 'up close and personal' with the builders, which is cool.

Keep on, RaT oN~!

Thanks @OddJob [emoji41]
I'm back home now for another week of teaching kids and coming up with plans for the trike, while all the campground bikes are neatly tucked away either in the trailer or the rearranged awning...
IMG_20210516_125553190_HDR_copy.jpg

IMG_20210516_163039815_copy.jpg

Last edited:
I just did a simple sketch on my mobile. I'm not much of skilled finger painter, but I think you get where I'm aiming at...
View attachment 157820

Gesendet von meinem moto g(7) power mit Tapatalk

That is a pretty nimble trike so far! I like the vibe of your baby buggy sketch.
Just remember to add some Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers, Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers, Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers on the back.

That is a pretty nimble trike so far! I like the vibe of your baby buggy sketch.
Just remember to add some Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers, Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers, Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers on the back.
Was just waiting for that one popping up....:banana:
Be assured, I have something in mind for that. No proper buggy without rubber baby buggy bumpers! :bigsmile:

Re-use, re-purpose, re-Cycle! I re-member that side stool build you did.
Won't that bare post be a little hard to, you know, endure now in front of your students? :grin:

Re-use, re-purpose, re-Cycle! I re-member that side stool build you did.
Won't that bare post be a little hard to, you know, endure now in front of your students? :grin:
No worries. As I'm without classroom since corona hit us it didn't see much use and it will get the seat that's on the trike right now. :happy::happy:

Today I took the donor therapy bike upstairs into the living room to get the bottom bracket out.
IMG_20210522_151056869.jpg

And man that thing put up a good fight...
First I tried the non drive side an ruined the screw almost instantly...
IMG_20210522_154431563.jpg

So I tried the drive side and there I had more luck.
IMG_20210522_154506487.jpg

IMG_20210522_155211822.jpg

After that I went all in on the left: Drilling, filing sawing, ... ruined even some tools on it and in the end some firm blows with my trustworthy hammer made it finally come of...
IMG_20210522_174612845.jpg

The crank is obviously ruined, but at least I got myself the much needed bottom bracket...
IMG_20210522_175435023.jpg

Somewhere in my parts boxes there will for sure be a replacement for that broken bearing ring...
IMG_20210522_175441666.jpg

Last edited:
So it was decided not to go to the campground despite the long weekend. :( My older son has a little building project for school that needs to get done by tuesday and he needs a lot of help with it. So no time for wrenching...
But I went through my stash at home another time and found this hidden away in a box:
IMG_20210523_111230754_copy.jpg

On my test ride I got the feeling that the trike needs some gearing, so I will try to get that special double sprocket from the therapy bike onto this rear hub. The size should be the same...

In another corner I rediscovered these:
IMG_20210523_111310072_copy.jpg

I will use them to build the base for the buggy over the rear axle. I have probably enough matching nuts and bolts left over from my RatRodRover project...

Attachments

• IMG_20210523_111230754_copy.jpg
    IMG_20210523_111230754_copy.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 113
While the little one ist building his own playhouse for school, I'm planning our new garden hut:
Screenshot (79).png

I hope I can get at it during the first two week of our summer break to be able to spend the other weeks on the campground building bikes...
But I have to finish planning asap and hand my plans in to the authorities first...
This will also eat up must of our funds, so I have almost no money left to spend on the trike build.. :(

Last edited:
Tonight was service and measuring night. One of my favourite bikes was standing parked in the basement for almost one year because the fork was bent. Some idiot looking into his smartphone and headphones on walked straight into my path and I had to make an emergency stop to not run him over and the lever of the drumbrake bent the fork.... (and that stupid smombie didn't even realize what happend and took of with the public bus).
So tonight I went finally at it and replaced the fork an pumped some air into the tyres. So tomorrow it will get ridden again... :rockout:
before:
IMG_20210526_163438376_copy.jpg

after:
IMG_20210526_172907791_copy.jpg

While at it I also readjusted the breaks on the kids bikes, lubed some chains and pumped several other tyres.... All the little stuff that keeps you busy with lots of bikes around.

When I was done with all the servicing stuff I took down the buggy from it's storage spot and had a good look at it's parts and potentials. I also took some measures and prepped for the CAD-phase of the design process...
The sidepanels of the buggy are made of some kind of multilayered cardboard and that green paintjob was horribly done. So this beauty might need some careful sanding and than a paintjob that seals that cardboard stuff to protect it from rain and moisture.

Everything laid out:
IMG_20210526_213521946_copy.jpg

IMG_20210526_213706645_copy.jpg

The buggy is about 90cm long and 45 cm wide
IMG_20210526_213815864_copy.jpg

IMG_20210526_213633702_copy.jpg

I took a wheel from a trailer to try some options (front is left):
#1 will give me more than enough room for my heels when pedaling and flows nice with the decoration lines of the buggy.
IMG_20210526_214116012_copy.jpg

#2 places the rear axle in correspondance to the decoration lines, but will make the lower parts of the buggy basically unusable
IMG_20210526_214225898_copy.jpg

#3 could be the way to go, as it probably provides enough pedaling room and still offers enough storage possibility in the buggy
IMG_20210526_214251206_copy.jpg

It seemed to best to me to prep for some CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) designing during the next stay on the campground so I took a scale 1:1 sketch, that will get transfered onto cardboard later:
IMG_20210526_233302500~2_copy.jpg

The buggy sits now again tucked away on the shelf in the basement awaiting his new destiny...
IMG_20210526_215613670_copy.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back